Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 805 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #661
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
We can always rely on Pepperberry to subject any lens he is assessing to the crucial cookie test, guaranteed to reveal if its reputation is only half-baked. Also, where else could we find a lens's chocolate cookie specifications? I defy anyone to find those stats at any other lens information website!
that's right!

11-17-2018, 05:46 AM - 5 Likes   #662
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 IIs with KMZ Helios-44M

11-17-2018, 05:47 AM - 3 Likes   #663
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 IIs with KMZ Helios-44M

12-12-2018, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #664
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic II | ColorPlus 200 | Helios 44-2 58/2

12-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #665
Pentaxian

Does anybody know which Helios version is optically comparable (and more or less coeve) to the Helios-3 MC preset lens?
The name seems to suggest that it could be the third iteration of the Helios, but the lens is multicoated, so it should be more recent than the 44M.
To make things more confuse, there are Helios 44-2 versions that have a barrel totally identical to the Helios 44-3, with the only difference of the name engraved on the beauty ring (with no reference to MC).
Any reliable info about the succession of the various versions?
Are the steps of the evolution of the optical design linear, following the consecution of the numbers from the original Helios 44 in Zenit M39 mount to the Helios 44-7?
12-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #666
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Does anybody know which Helios version is optically comparable (and more or less coeve) to the Helios-3 MC preset lens?
That would be the Helios-3 100mm f/2.0, a lens that is found on the lists, but apparently nowhere else. If you find one, it might be a coup of a sort. It is reputedly a Planar design and therefore unlike any of the Helios 44 series, all of which share the same Biotar-descent optical design.

For the uninitiated, the Helios (Gelios) name might be found on a wide variety of lenses in multiple mounts from several different former Soviet optical factories. I don't believe there are any strong similarities of design between members of the series except, perhaps, fast maximum aperture. The Wikipedia has an extensive list, which was derived from a similar list on the zenitcamera.com fan site.

Steve
12-14-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #667
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

..to continue...

The name seems to suggest that it could be the third iteration of the Helios, but the lens is multicoated, so it should be more recent than the 44M.
The first rule in the land of Russian and Soviet-made lenses is to not place undue weight on the names and numbers. In the case of the Helios 44 series, multi-coating may be found in the following variants:
  • Helios 44-3 (all?)
  • Helios 44K-4 (most)
  • Helios 44M (some)
  • Helios 44M-4 (some)
  • Helios 44M-5 and higher (all?)
FWIW...If the beauty ring on the front does not say MC, the lens is not MC. If it says MC, that means it is MC or perhaps a fake beauty ring. Under direct examination, specular reflections from an MC lens appear green-blue while the non-MC appear purple-magenta.

To make things more confuse, there are Helios 44-2 versions that have a barrel totally identical to the Helios 44-3, with the only difference of the name engraved on the beauty ring (with no reference to MC).
The 44-2 that look like 44-3 were made in the same factory in Belarus (BeLOMO/MMZ). There are multiple body styles for the 44-2 even for those for KMZ (Zenit).

Any reliable info about the succession of the various versions?
Yes there have been attempts at cataloging, though reliable is a matter of opinion. Google would be your friend. Probably the first thing to note is that the word "succession" is not quite appropriate. The numbers refer somewhat to design (all Helios 44 series are optically identical to the Zeiss Biotar 58/2.0), somewhat to features (44-n variants are pre-set aperture, while those with "M" and "K" have automatic aperture actuation*), and somewhat to generation of tooling and barrel design. Conventional wisdom is that the higher numbers in the series are incrementally better optically due to better manufacturing practice, though that is no guarantee. In reality, many (most?) of the lower numbers and higher numbers were made during the same periods in the same factories such that a particular Zenit model might come equipped with anything from a Helios 44-2 up through a Helios 44M-6 or whatever.

Are the steps of the evolution of the optical design linear, following the consecution of the numbers from the original Helios 44 in Zenit M39 mount to the Helios 44-7?
All Helios 44 series lenses are all the same optically and derived directly from the Zeiss Biotar 58/2.0. That is why I refer to the various numbered lenses as "variants". Some are more highly prized than others, based on resolution numbers from the Zenit catalog, but real-world example photos show all to deliver images that are embarrassingly similar to type.

A common question is which variants show "swirling" bokeh. The answer is that it is hard to predict. My understanding is that the swirl is a side-effect of lapse of manufacturing tolerance, specifically alignment and spacing within the optical block. My 44M shows very little tendency to swirl, despite the trait being apparently common with other 44M examples. I have not yet tried to get swirl with my 44-3 or 44K-4. My friend's 44M-4 has swirl and I know nothing of the higher numbers.

Are we confused yet?

Steve

* There is a common misconception regarding the "M" in the 44M-n lenses. The common claim is that the letter refers to mount type, "M" for M42; this despite both the 44-2 and 44-3 being also made in M42. The truth is that the 44M debuted with the Zenit BM body, the first in its line to feature coupling for aperture actuation. The BM had the flipper and the 44M had the silver actuator pin. Think "M" lenses on "M" cameras or something like that. "M" designation is found in other Soviet lens types (e.g. Jupiter-8M) and my understanding is that the intent is to signal a improvement.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-14-2018 at 01:37 PM.
12-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #668
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
here are multiple body styles for the 44-2 even for those for KMZ (Zenit).
This is mine from Valdai... almost identical to the lens behind this shot, another 44-2 but KMZ:

12-14-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #669
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
This is mine from Valdai... almost identical to the lens behind this shot, another 44-2 but KMZ:
Yep...love the Valdai logo!

Steve
12-14-2018, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 44k-4 swirls nicely, FYI.
12-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #671
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My 44k-4 swirls nicely, FYI.
Good to know. A few early OOF test shots seem to indicate such, but then I set the lens aside until I have time and inclination to relube the overly stiff focus.

Steve
12-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #672
Veteran Member

The Helios 44-3 MC has a resolution of 40/21
The closest versions in this department are the 44M-4 (MC version) and 44M-5, both with a resolution of 41/20 but with a 6 bladed diaphragm (8 in the 44-3).
12-15-2018, 03:04 AM   #673
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
The closest versions in this department are the 44M-4 (MC version) and 44M-5, both with a resolution of 41/20 but with a 6 bladed diaphragm (8 in the 44-3).
This is the kind of info I was looking for
Thanks a lot for the other valuable contributions.
I already knew a couple of things, but I'm not a connoisseur of soviet optics.
Those who happened to read some of my posts already know that I am a collector/user of vintage lenses, and that after i stopped using large format film I turned my interest towards small format optics, mostly PK and M42.
The field is extremely wide. Soviet lenses are a fascinating subject, but also a very complex one.
I never scratched under the surface, and I concentrated on something else, simpler and almost as affordable, as for example the Soligor's.
However I almost unwillingly amassed a good number of soviet optics, including five Helios 44.
The 44-3 MC is the last, it has not reached my home yet.
I bought it because it's multicoated, and likely a little sharper. All the others are early versions, purchased for their swirly bokeh and their rendition.
I wanted MC, and the ease of use of a preset lens, so I chose the 44-3.
It should be the most recent of my Helioses, and the only one built in Krasnagorsk (KMZ).
I will test it soon against the old 44 (silver, 8-blades) and the 44-2.
12-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #674
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is the kind of info I was looking for
Now you tell us! So what about the Helios-3 you asked about?
Just kidding.

If you have five Helios 44, then you probably have more information about that class of lens than the rest of us. If you are planning on doing a comparative shoot-out, I would be very interested in the results.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
Where did you find these numbers? I tried to find specs before I bought my copy and came up empty.

Steve
12-15-2018, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #675
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Where did you find these numbers? I tried to find specs before I bought my copy and came up empty.

Steve
Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer

But if you are interested in a side by side comparison between any Helios 44 versions just let me know. I have most of them.