Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Sigma 8-16mm Preorder

Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM For Pentax

Certainly a lower price than I expected for the widest rectilinear APS-C lens ever.

04-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WHOA BOY!!!

This might change my LBA plans for May 1st!!!
04-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Dang...!!! There goes another lump out of the bank account!

Wonder if they ship to Australia?
04-17-2010, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

my big fat geek lens-lust

Y'all guys go and buy that thang, yessiree Bob.

Y'all guys be sure to let us know how it handles.

I mean, it could be a Jim-Dandy slow, fat pig.

Course, it can't be any worse than my Kenko 180.

Course, that Kenko 180 only cost me 'bout US$80.

And I overpaid, several bales of beaver hides worth.

I ain't likely to have an extra US$700+ anytime soon.

Y'all tell us how it goes. And post some pix, y'hear?
"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream."
--Malcolm Muggeridge

04-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a poem? It kinda looks and sounds like one... clever... so glad I order my 10-17 before I saw this, half the price for 2mm!!

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Y'all guys go and buy that thang, yessiree Bob.

Y'all guys be sure to let us know how it handles.

I mean, it could be a Jim-Dandy slow, fat pig.

Course, it can't be any worse than my Kenko 180.

Course, that Kenko 180 only cost me 'bout US$80.

And I overpaid, several bales of beaver hides worth.

I ain't likely to have an extra US$700+ anytime soon.

Y'all tell us how it goes. And post some pix, y'hear?
"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream."
--Malcolm Muggeridge
04-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Except the 10-17 is a fisheye, while the 8-16 is a rectilinear, if I'm not mistaken...

I have the 10-17, and use it occasionally for its specific effect.

The 8-16, if it is any good, should be a wonderful walkabout landscape lens for an APS-C camera like the Pentax. Equivalent to a 12-24 on a full frame camera.

I haven't seen any tests on this new Siggie yet, but it will depend on how good the edge sharpness is, how well they've managed to control any distortion, and how far down it needs to be stopped to get the best performance.

While it sure is tempting, I will wait until I see Photozone or one of the other reputable sites do a review first. And then I'll get one - probably...
04-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

$700 for a DC lens? Wow Sigma, that's a little pricey. I suppose it is the widest angle ever really made for a lens like this, but still Sigma, that's just a little pricey.

I hope it goes down a little bit.
04-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Is this a poem? It kinda looks and sounds like one... clever... so glad I order my 10-17 before I saw this, half the price for 2mm!!
I'm a poet
I know it
Did I blow it?
Hope I don't show it.
I was once a rude songwriter. (Poets in former British colonies get no respect. Songwriters collect royalties. Big difference. Except I never collected any royalties. Hmm...) And sometimes I sing in public, until people pay me to stop. Anyway, I occasionally get an urge to employ certain phrasings, like the above. If I phrased my posts as haiku, I'd probably get sh!t-listed a great deal more than I already am. Don't want to lose the rest of my audience now...

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Except the 10-17 is a fisheye, while the 8-16 is a rectilinear, if I'm not mistaken...
I just threw in the bit about the dead fish because I couldn't find a good quote that included 'rectilinear'.

Yes, it does look tempting. But it's a DA-type, right? Only usable on an APS-C cam? Seven hundred bucks, and I can't put it on my ZX-M? What kind of deal is that? Well, after the next inheritance (c'mon somebody, DIE!!!) I'd seriously consider it. A rectilinear 8mm. The mind boggles. My 10-17 would get so lonely. There, there now, little lens, you're still loved.

04-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I couldn't find a good quote that included 'rectilinear'.
Gotta be a line in there somewhere about proctologists and wide angles.....

For those who think that $700 for a lens is expensive - you should try Australia! Many, if not most, of the "good" lenses for my Pentax bodies, are well over the $Aus1000 mark. Some are WAY over. And yes - that includes third-party lenses like Siggies too. And that is despite our dollar being worth about 93-94 cents US at the moment.

So it's all relative, really.
04-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
$700 for a DC lens? Wow Sigma, that's a little pricey. I suppose it is the widest angle ever really made for a lens like this, but still Sigma, that's just a little pricey.

I hope it goes down a little bit.
the Pentax 12-24 is not FF either. I think it's cheap for a lens with a 4mm difference at the wide end. and if it renders as good or better than the DA12-24, then it's a steal. a 1/3rd stop at the wide end and 1 stop slower at the long end doesn't look that bad either. oh did it say that it's rectilinear? well that's enough reason to say that it maybe worth it.
04-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #11

Couldn't agree more with Pete. As this is a siggie, at least we can ask CRK to price match it.
04-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

For those of us who live outside the US, be aware that Abes of Maine do NOT accept orders using credit cards from overseas. Even major cards like Visa, Mastercard.

The only way to get this lens from them is to use a direct wire transfer via a bank branch in person, or get someone in the USA to buy it for you and then ship it onwards to you.

I preordered the lens, and received an email from them giving me this info. My internet banking will not allow transfer outside Australia, and I simply cannot get to a bank in person during their business hours.

I have shopped extensively on the net for 15 years or so, and never have I come across this - a refusal to take a Visa card. I did have problems with B & H wanting photocopies of my drivers licence and credit card (which I didn't do for obvious security reasons) but I gather that even they have relented on this now.

Abes of Maine need to get into the 21st century, methinks!

So - order cancelled, and will wait for Adorama to get the lens listed.

EDIT: Adorama now have the lens listed at:

http://www.adorama.com/SG816PXAF.html

Last edited by Derridale; 04-19-2010 at 02:18 PM.
04-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
can't wait to try this baby out in the shops...! tho it's pricier than the pentax 12-24. should help to drive down the cost for the sigma 10-20 in the second hand market as people dump their 10-20s for 8-16 over here.