Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Pentax lenses with A or F or FA or DA in the name will autofocus. Some companies made autofocus lenses for Pentax; these may have AF in the name. All the rest of the lenses we've discussed are manual focus.
Actually, Pentax lenses with A or F or FA or DA in the name will auto-expose. "A" lenses without an "F" or "DA" somewhere are manual focus.

04-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol oops...
04-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So here is a list using Pentax lens 50mm f1.4

Pentax lens 50mm f1.4, Cameras Photo. Great deals on eBay!

Just remember what Rio and GeneV wrote that M42, A and M lenses are manual focus, F FA and DA and auto focus. Also, M42 lenses will require an adapter. However, the A and M lenses when you manually focus them the camera will generally give you a focus confirmation.

You can also go to craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums in your area and see what is available too...

... and do not forget about the MarketPlace here on the forums....

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-18-2010 at 10:37 AM.
04-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Banned

SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 F1.7 50mm LX ME K1000 K10D K20D Excl - eBay (item 350340054845 end time May-12-10 12:04:04 PDT)

could be a good deal, and comes in right at your max budget. fast aperture, 'A' contacts for camera based control, and from the description seems to be in good shape. no photos of the lens though...

04-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember to set your camera body up for the lens...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

Also, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are down in Florida. Take a look at this from Craigslist. You might ask about breaking up the lot for you - just an idea....

jacksonville all for sale / wanted classifieds "pentax" - craigslist

Pentax Super Program w/3 lenses

04-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
...50mm f/1.4 A mount lens so I can have the aperture controlled from the camera and have the extra stop over the 1.7...
The difference is only 1/2 stop. Both lenses are great performers with the edge going to the f/1.7 unless you need the shallower DOF of the f/1.4.

One caution regarding Pentax-A 50/1.7...The body on these lenses is plastic and there is an issue with the aperture ring on some copies. There is a internal plastic piece that breaks and causes jerky or jammed motion when used off the "A" setting on affected copies. A lens with the problem would be worth significantly less than one that works perfectly. Always inquire that the aperture ring functions smoothly at all settings before bidding.

Steve
04-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It is difficult to find a BAD lens in the 50-58mm range. There are some, but mostly bad due to damage or decay. During the heyday of manual lenses, competition was so fierce and the offerings were so abundant that bad lenses just didn't survive.

The current Pentax craze has driven up prices of what used to be bargain glass, but fine lenses from other makers are still plentiful at good prices. Mamiya, Fujinon, Yashinon, Revuenon, Chinon, Meyer, are all good names to see on a lens. Sears, Focal and Ricoh are usually good, except that those in a K-mount with KR on the side might have the infamous Ricoh Pin -- search here for details of how to deal with it. Vivitar is often good but sometimes chancy. Ask here first.

Slightly longer but much admired and a REAL BARGAIN is the Helios-44 58/2 lens, Russian made, still going for around US$20. Several threads here deal with it. Some Helios's can be found with a K-mount, but most have the M42 screwmount and require an adapter. Again, there's much discussion here about adapters. Keep reading and ask questions.

All the above advice is good also. Have fun!
As what Rio said it is hard not to find a good 50mm lens for under a $100. I too would recommend that you look at the A 50mm f/1.7. This is a great lens as I own one and can definitely recommend it. Also, as Rio said again the Pentax K-x seems to have driven up the prices on the older glass that used to be pretty cheap. So I would definitely keep an eye out on ebay and craiglist for lenses that are not pentax brand.

I also have another lens called a Cosmicar, this company was a sub-company of pentax and their optics are really nice as well. I have a Cosmicar 28mm f/2.8 that is a pleasure to use and delivers sharp good results. So I wish you luck in your search, there are a bunch of great lenses out there for our cameras and I hope you find a great one.
04-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright I will look for the 50mm 1.7. Thanks for the resources guys. I will definitely need them lol. What is the most I should pay for a 50mm 1.7 A series K mount?

04-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

With shipping and such 50 - 60 bucks...

but you may see them going for much more on ebay and such...

We talk about it often here, if someone is willing to pay $100 + for a lens does that make it worth that much?

Don't rush it, watch craigs list or the market place here...
04-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
With shipping and such 50 - 60 bucks...

but you may see them going for much more on ebay and such...

We talk about it often here, if someone is willing to pay $100 + for a lens does that make it worth that much?

Don't rush it, watch craigs list or the market place here...
Maybe as low as $35. Look for one attached to a camera. The two together will often go for less than the lens alone.

Steve
04-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
Pentax lenses with A or F or FA or DA in the name will autofocus. Some companies made autofocus lenses for Pentax; these may have AF in the name. All the rest of the lenses we've discussed are manual focus.
Actually, Pentax lenses with A or F or FA or DA in the name will auto-expose. "A" lenses without an "F" or "DA" somewhere are manual focus.
Doh. Brain-fart. Operator error. I meant to say F not A but the voices in my head insisted... or maybe it was the mushrooms. Yes, that's it, I blame the mushrooms.

OK, so the rundown on K-mount lenses is:

M: manual focus, manual aperture (auto-expose in M mode with Green button)
A: manual focus, auto aperture (auto-expose in auto modes)
F, FA, FA, DA: auto-focus and -aperture (auto-expose in auto modes)

M, A, F, FA, FAJ, DFA: full-frame, for all cameras
DA, DAL, DA*: half-frame, for APS-C dSLRs only

And then there are the so-called K-series, actually with no series designation, just SMC on the lens. And a few non-SMC's, just with Takumar on the lens. These are similar to M-series (except for build quality), full-frame and all manual, right? I think I got it right this time.

And then there are various series and types of screwmount lenses, but that subject if for another day. It's lunchtime.
04-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I just did an ebay search on completed auctions of Pentax lens 50mm f1.7 A

The results - 13 from April 3 to today was ...
high $113
low $53
2 had cameras attached, also ranged from 4 to 23 bids for the actions, and 5 were "buy it now"
04-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so then I actually want a f/1.7 50mm a series k mount correct? Prices for that kind?
04-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's exactly what as listed directly above (53-113).