Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Old Lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am looking to pick up a 50mm prime for my K100d that will also work later on a K7. I am trying to find an old lens for around $50, but definitely under $100. I know Pentax cameras are backwards compatible, but there are so many lenses, I don't know which ones are good or not. I have heard some leak oil or have other issues. A little guidance on how to go about buying old lenses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!

04-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take a look at the following article:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

then once you get through that go through the lens database here to look at the older lenses that have been reviewed by members here. Good luck!
04-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your budget look for an A 1.7 or M/K 1.4
04-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have two a Pentax A 50 f2 - $30 (likely about $40 shipped) or a Tak 55 f/1.7 same price but you'd need a converter (m42-K - which I could sell too)

They are in great shape and would over what you are looking for.

I have a M 1.4, which I will not sell, there are lots of great options. Just don't over pay, there is lots of hype for this lens length and people charge WAY too much.

04-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It is difficult to find a BAD lens in the 50-58mm range. There are some, but mostly bad due to damage or decay. During the heyday of manual lenses, competition was so fierce and the offerings were so abundant that bad lenses just didn't survive.

The current Pentax craze has driven up prices of what used to be bargain glass, but fine lenses from other makers are still plentiful at good prices. Mamiya, Fujinon, Yashinon, Revuenon, Chinon, Meyer, are all good names to see on a lens. Sears, Focal and Ricoh are usually good, except that those in a K-mount with KR on the side might have the infamous Ricoh Pin -- search here for details of how to deal with it. Vivitar is often good but sometimes chancy. Ask here first.

Slightly longer but much admired and a REAL BARGAIN is the Helios-44 58/2 lens, Russian made, still going for around US$20. Several threads here deal with it. Some Helios's can be found with a K-mount, but most have the M42 screwmount and require an adapter. Again, there's much discussion here about adapters. Keep reading and ask questions.

All the above advice is good also. Have fun!
04-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As mentioned above, it is pretty hard to get a bad 50mm lens. My personal recommendation for high value is the Pentax-M 50/1.7. In regards to Ricoh lenses, here is a summary:

Auto-Rikenon (M42 screw mount) All are safe. f/1.4 and f/1.7 versions are quite good

XR-Rikenon (standard K-mount) All are safe. There are several versions of 50mm made over several years. I own the 50/2. It is a sharp lens, but has busy bokeh. I haven't tried the f/1.4 or f/1.7.

Rikenon-P (Ricoh P mount) Risk of getting stuck on Pentax AF cameras due to the "Ricoh pin". The risk is high on versions with an actual spring-loaded pin. Lenses with ball-bearing "pins" are supposed to be less troublesome. Use extreme caution before mounting.

Steve
04-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What is bokeh?

Also, I realize it is a long shot but are there any mounts that auto focus will work with?

Is there a list somewhere of all compatible mounts with the two cameras I am considering?

Would there be a noticeable difference in speed on a f/2 over an f/1.2?

icywarm, I am interested, just let me get a few more answers first =) Looking forward to some bargain glass!

04-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
What is bokeh?
see below

It is how the background blurs... some time highlights are round, squared or doughnuts, also, has to do with how the colours blend, it is subjective and really has to do with how you like your photos.

Also, I realize it is a long shot but are there any mounts that auto focus will work with?

Not before FA mounts, before that it was all manual camera.

Is there a list somewhere of all compatible mounts with the two cameras I am considering?

with pentax it is easy, Kmount or else you need an adapter, like the m42

Depends who you talk to... it is a full stop of light... so it could mean the difference between a shot taken at 1/50 vs 1/20, which could mean shaky or still on a 50mm lens.

icywarm, I am interested, just let me get a few more answers first =) Looking forward to some bargain glass!

Ok, I often have lots of choices... plus you can all garage sale locally for some bargains.
04-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not so many garage sales around here actually lol. I will need to check out a few pawn shops though, that guide has me wanting to try my luck.

So these old lenses don't have aperture control from the body then either correct? My first camera was the K100D so I have no experience with film or anything like that.

Are your prices USD or canadian $? I am liking the price but do you have one in 1.2? I want one of the fastest 50mm I can get for low light and portrait use.
04-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think the fastest I have seen is 0.8, but even the 1.2 is much more expensive and very rare, the M 1.4 pops up now and then for 60 - 100, with an A lens your camera can set ap.

FA 1.7 or 1.4 can be had for between 100 and 300 (I know huge range, but that is what a few of us consider so crazy, it is worth 150ish, but people will spend 300+ to get it)

I personally I use a FA 1.4 which I picked up cheap ($175) last year, but they are tough to find. Your best bet is people getting out of the wedding business.

I have a beat to heck M 50/2 I use on a MX from time to time, which I am happy with and I only shot that at 800 ISO pushed a bit to more like 1600 or 3200 for a really grainy look and I am happy with it.

It is tough to say what you NEED, many people like the 1.7 better because it is sharper at 1.7 than the 1.4 is at 1.4, what is silly about that is that a 1.4 stopped to 1.7 is just as sharp...

so well there are no answers in this post, I hope you know more what questions you will have...

Since USD and CAND are the same right now, I do USD unless you are Canadian to save the conversion.
04-18-2010, 03:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

are there any mounts that auto focus will work with?
Pentax lenses with A or F or FA or DA in the name will autofocus. Some companies made autofocus lenses for Pentax; these may have AF in the name. All the rest of the lenses we've discussed are manual focus. These lenses will work on autofocus cameras, but only manually. See the lens database for more information.

QuoteQuote:
See this Wikipedia entry on Pentax mounts.

QuoteQuote:
Yes, quite a difference. That is 1.5 f-stops, meaning 3 times more or less light. An f/1.2 lens is very fast, and heavy, and expensive. You will not find such a lens for under US$100 unless it was stolen by an idiot. And it is not easy to use, very difficult to focus when wide open. See this Wikipedia entry on f-stops. For your budget, you'll probably find (and be quite happy with) a manual lens around f/1.4 or f/1.7; and as I said, the Helios-44 58/2 is a much-beloved wonder, and a bargain.

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I think the fastest I have seen is 0.8
The fastest commercial lens made for the kinds of cameras we're dealing with was a Canon 50/0.9 and users hated it. The fastest lens used commercially was a NASA-built f/0.7 that Stanley Kubrick used to shoot the movie Barry Lyndon. The CIA, NSA, MI5, KGB etc probably have or had superfast lenses, but they're not available to us. It's possible to build superfast lenses for very small formats, like tiny spycams, but you wouldn't like the image quality.

Last edited by RioRico; 04-18-2010 at 03:27 AM.
04-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

bokeh - is how the lens handles the out of focus background in an image. Some handle it harshly, while others have a smooth "buttery" like effect.

About 18 months ago, I too went looking for an old 50mm lens. They are everywhere. I would guess that local sources would be best to actually look at the lens (craigslist), but I was successful just going through evilbay. Actually, I would work with the $20 +/- range looking for an f2 or f1.7 either M or A lens.

Pentax lens 50mm, Cameras Photo, Electronics. Great deals on eBay!

You have to remember that this is hit or miss, and to take your time. I would not pay over $30 for an f2. I see one is available on ebay for $5 (and the auction ends in 4 hours). You might even have to buy one with an old film camera attached (Spotmatics are M42 screw mounts, while K1000 are the current K mounts). As I said its pretty uneven - you might go for several days with out something, and then suddenly they are everywhere you turn. I was able to pick one up - an f2 for $7 (including shipping), then found a f1.7 for $15 with shipping. The f1.7 was the better lens - better condition, so I gave the f2 away to a photography student.
04-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright. From what you all are saying, I feel like I want a 50mm f/1.4 A mount lens so I can have the aperture controlled from the camera and have the extra stop over the 1.7. Now where would be the best place online to look for these other than ebay? I know of KEH but their prices seem ridiculous compared to what you all are saying. When I get back from school, I'll check out my pawn shops to see what I can find.
04-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found this on ebay, but I get the feeling it will go for more than its worth since it is almost at $30 with a week still left on it...

SMC PENTAX 50mm 1:4 MACRO / STANDARD LENS FOR K MOUNT - eBay (item 260584741978 end time Apr-19-10 08:02:35 PDT)
04-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
Banned

I found this on ebay, but I get the feeling it will go for more than its worth since it is almost at $30 with a week still left on it...

SMC PENTAX 50mm 1:4 MACRO / STANDARD LENS FOR K MOUNT - eBay (item 260584741978 end time Apr-19-10 08:02:35 PDT)
why are you looking at a slow (f4) macro lens, if you want a fast portrait lens? that is 1:4 not 1:1.4. that lens will never do in low light.