Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ira, Your link points to a My Ebay, I assume yours. Were you referring to the 85mm f1.9 you asked us all to stay away from? Maybe someone didn't want you to have it (not me)..

04-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #47
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ira, I thought that on another thread you spoke of looking for a Helios-44 but prices were skyrocketing. Maybe I misremember.

Anyway, I just looked at the bay and saw quite a few still pretty cheap, a bunch of BIN at US$25-30 total. There's lots of other Russian (excuse me, FSU, Former Soviet Union -- but hey, who are we kidding? they're Russkies) glass out there at good prices. I've never been unhappy with any FSU lenses, and some are Gold Standard for me. The overall glass inflation *has* hit this stuff, compared to 1-2 years ago, but they're still nowhere near the frenzied levels of Taks or even Mamiya and Rikenon.

There are still a few relative bargains to be had, before the bubble bursts.
BTW:

I can't use the Meteor 17-69 on the KX (haven't tried my any of my Spotties though). The rear element protrudes too much and would hit the mirror. Also, you were right--there would be heavy duty clip-off/vignetting. That rare element is really narrow.

Last edited by Ira; 04-19-2010 at 08:37 AM.
04-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #48
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Ira, Your link points to a My Ebay, I assume yours. Were you referring to the 85mm f1.9 you asked us all to stay away from? Maybe someone didn't want you to have it (not me)..

Yep, that's it. But it's getting way too high. I might have gone to $400, but at $355 with 14 hours to go, I know it's going to get higher.
04-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #49
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Oooops--link fixed. (THanks!)

Pentax Takumar 85mm f1.8 Portrait Lens - eBay (item 270562732086 end time Apr-19-10 18:09:04 PDT)

04-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Yep, that's it. But it's getting way too high. I might have gone to $400, but at $355 with 14 hours to go, I know it's going to get higher.

takumar 85, Cameras Photo. Great deals on eBay!

Maybe one of these is to your liking.. Unless you're hoping to score a bargain, which I can respect and understand. The price for that lens seems to change like a wildfire direction. I THINK some bidders confuse the different types and get wrapped up in the heat of the bidding. Yet another reason for using a sniper. Bid and forget about it until outbid by the nickel and dimers, or win at your price without it being chipped away at..
Either way, good luck in the hunt. I can assure you that you won't be bidding against me ..

EDIT: I see that it's the f1.8 you're after.. None show in my link. I guess it's important that you put the 'mm' after the 85.. Gawd I hate the Ebay search engine.

04-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #51

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
Yes, a lot of patience is required to find some older lens.
More patient is required still and also more $$$ if one looks for limited edition lens.
Price of lens will fluctuate up and down depending on many factors, including exchange rates, supply and demand, prices of raw material etc.

Now, with the advent of internet, one can source the lens he/she wanted with a click of the finger.

Cheers.
The Limiteds are sometimes sold in packages with a nice body like a K10D, K20D or K7. Most likely not on Ebay but locally. There will always be brandhoppers and if you pay attention there are deals to be found on the more exclusive Pentax lenses. If you're lucky you can sell some parts of the package for a total that's above the price you paid for the package as a whole. Or you can keep them all (greedy LBA-symptom ) and enjoy your 'cheap' lenses.

With older lenses you can find the same deals if you search long enough.

Yesterday some seller Ebay sold a package of 4 lenses, Pentax K 28mm f3.5, Pentax M 100mm f2.8 and two not too interesting zoom lenses. Total price I paid was 89,99 (1 cent below my limit) and considering the price of the Pentax K it was a great deal.
04-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is romancing the widows part of your plan at all?
Pentax widows or widows with Pentax.

<sigh>

04-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #53

The combination of Pentax lenses being backwards compatible going back 30 + years and the successful release of the K-7 and K-x cameras have caused a larger demand for all Pentax compatible lenses (new and us'ed). It seems like any so-called "cult-classic" lenses with any kind of documentation online such as old Vivitar Series 1 lenses, some Tamron SP Adaptall lenses, old fast Pentax primes, etc are being scooped up by newbies that are willing to pay outrageous prices for them in eBay bidding wars because they only come up on eBay every few weeks.

On the other hand, I have seen many 35mm SLR cameras or miscategorized lenses with Pentax mounts that have been sold for next to nothing so you just need to know where to look.

I have had some good luck at goodwill and craigslist.
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Speculators?

Not sure I even want to mention which particular lens I've been seeing on Evilbay recently, it'll probably just drive up the auction price even further for those interested! (BUT, it's an f1.7 prime!)

Anyway, if you check the bidding history, at least on this particular lens, I see what appears to be a few "usual suspects" as bidders. Very annoying; to me it smells of speculators trying to buy up what they can now, just to resell them at a later time for a huge profit. All this does is take away from people who actually want to own and use (!) them.
04-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #55
Forum Member

used lenses

I don't buy on ebay but I do scour the used camera gear shops and I can't believe that at the moment a M 40mm f2.8 lenses are going for $320 dollars when a new 40 ltd can be bought for about the same price and a used one is cheaper. Is the M 40mm especially good?? I recently saw an FA100mm f2.8macro $800 but maybe this high price is because it is rated highly and extremely rare.
Having said all this I have picked up some used lenses at reasonable prices, smc 28mm f3.5 Tak $60, M135mm f3.5 $90 and A35mm-105mm f3.5zoom $90 all very good to excellent condition but then most of the second hand gear in Japan is in good condition.
04-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having read this thread start to finish it seems to me a smart user would be selling lenses sometime soon.
04-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #57
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Having read this thread start to finish it seems to me a smart user would be selling lenses sometime soon.
Did you take your meds today, buddy? What does selling have to do with LBA?

I am ready to plop $400 plus on an 85 1.9 or 1.8 Tak, and be thrilled to pay it.

If I sold that same item, I would just be depressed.

Money comes and goes, but great old glass is timeless.
04-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #58
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwao Quote
I don't buy on ebay but I do scour the used camera gear shops and I can't believe that at the moment a M 40mm f2.8 lenses are going for $320 dollars when a new 40 ltd can be bought for about the same price and a used one is cheaper. Is the M 40mm especially good?? I recently saw an FA100mm f2.8macro $800 but maybe this high price is because it is rated highly and extremely rare.
Having said all this I have picked up some used lenses at reasonable prices, smc 28mm f3.5 Tak $60, M135mm f3.5 $90 and A35mm-105mm f3.5zoom $90 all very good to excellent condition but then most of the second hand gear in Japan is in good condition.
For what it's worth, I've seen the FA100 f2.8 macro on ebay several times for about $400, In Japan. I bought one from him once but had to return it. M40 f2.8 lenses can be had for the neighborhood of $150 or so.

04-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwao Quote
WHAT??? M40/2.8 going for $320????? Guess I shouldn't have sold mine in December for $125... I was honestly impressed with its performance, considering it gets so little love on this site, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it.

Yeah, these prices are getting a little out of hand. In some ways I'm happy though. It keeps me from buying any more. Thankfully I pretty much filled in all my gaps. Someday I'd like to have some of these limiteds though. Maybe after the K7 body comes out and drops K7 prices. Or the replacement to the K7 replacement comes out so I can afford the K7 replacement. Either way, I got the M40 to see how it handled on the K10d and it was too dorky and didn't balance well. The limiteds seem like they'd be happier on a smaller body.
04-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Did you take your meds today, buddy? What does selling have to do with LBA?

I am ready to plop $400 plus on an 85 1.9 or 1.8 Tak, and be thrilled to pay it.

If I sold that same item, I would just be depressed.

Money comes and goes, but great old glass is timeless.
Where in my entire history of posting on this Forum did I ever claim any of us is smart?