Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwao Quote
I don't buy on ebay but I do scour the used camera gear shops and I can't believe that at the moment a M 40mm f2.8 lenses are going for $320 dollars when a new 40 ltd can be bought for about the same price and a used one is cheaper. Is the M 40mm especially good?? I recently saw an FA100mm f2.8macro $800 but maybe this high price is because it is rated highly and extremely rare.

NO ! the old and used M40/2.8 ($320) price is blown way out of proportions. even if the lens prices here in Canada is spiked up, it's too much to ask for a manual focus lens. besides, we could buy a new or used copy of the autofocus DA version cheaper or for the same price across the border. from what I could tell, selling such lens at a steep price is nothing more than milking somebody or a sort of a money making scheme which is a despicable act even in a free open market, and by business ethics standards.

it's the same deal with the FA100/2.8. the acceptable price for such used lens is around $400-$500 in overall good condition. although the FA100 is a great lens by all means, and have more retaining or upraised value compared to the D-FA 100 and it's other macro counterparts at the same focal range due to it's outstanding tough build and rarity, it is not rare enough or extremely rare or in danger of disappearing into circulation that would influence the price to spike up. aside from that, it has to contend with a lot of competition as well that have equal or slightly better IQ than it which brings any potential price hike to a halt. there's a Tamron 90, Pentax DFA 100, and Sigma105 that could give it a challenge.

the FA135 for example is even extremely rarer. and you can't find it too often. and it is the only existing autofocus 135mm prime aside from the F version which is the same lens but rare as well for the Pentax mount. yet it is only selling around $400-$600 (depending on the condition of the lens) in the used market. or even less than that if the lens has some evident wear.

04-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple of M40 2.8s on Ebay right now that are asking 150 and 250 at buy it now and they aren't being snapped up. Those used shops listing that lens at over $300 are looking for a money is no object person or a sucker. They probably never expect to actually sell it at anywhere near that price.
04-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
There are a couple of M40 2.8s on Ebay right now that are asking 150 and 250 at buy it now and they aren't being snapped up. Those used shops listing that lens at over $300 are looking for a money is no object person or a sucker. They probably never expect to actually sell it at anywhere near that price.
I've seen them recently on PentaxForums for only $100, are they seriously selling for that much now is that just the stupidity of Ebay buyers driving bid prices up because they don't understand that a bid war can't end well for anyone?
04-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #64
Forum Member

After seeing the reaction to my post I checked the exchange rate. The asking price for the M40mm f2.8 is 32000yen which is actually $344!!!!! Just to make sure I haven't made a mistake about the lens make I have included the link to the web page below to show you the lens.

??????????????????????(??,??,??,??,??)?????????PENTAX

By the way i am interested in buying a used 77mm Ltd and this shop offers them at $590 in good condition. Is this a fair price?

Last edited by kiwao; 04-22-2010 at 12:17 AM.
04-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #65
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwao Quote
After seeing the reaction to my post I checked the exchange rate. The asking price for the M40mm f2.8 is 32000yen which is actually $344!!!!! Just to make sure I haven't made a mistake about the lens make I have included the link to the web page below to show you will see the lens.

??????????????????????(??,??,??,??,??)?????????PENTAX

By the way i am interested in buying a used 77mm Ltd and this shop offers them at $590 in good condition. Is this a fair price?
In terms of US dollars, yes, $590 sounds like a fair price. It's surprising though, as the USA price for a New one right now is $785 at B&H. Maybe it is that the M40 cannot be purchased new anymore but that price for one still sounds outrageous. I guess that's why it's still there. Cheaper to import them if you really want one.

04-22-2010, 04:24 AM   #66
Pentaxian

My Dad has even noticed that old Minolta glass is going up in price. He thinks a lot of it has to do with the Micro 4/3 cameras that can take any of the old lenses with an adapter. He's got one of those cameras and uses Minolta and Pentax glass.
04-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
WHAT??? M40/2.8 going for $320?????
No. People who have no earthly idea what the lens is actually selling for, or who hope to dupe a buyer [EDIT: I originally wrote "seller" ] who similarly has no idea, might try to list it for that. And maybe some sucker will pay it. But the usual selling price for this lens is about $125-$150. Seems to me it's actually come *down* a bit. As I recall, a few years ago KEH would list it closer to $200, but right now it's $133 (in EX condition). There's one in BGN condition for $99.

Frankly, that's about my impression of most of the used lenses prices - a few outlier setting their prices unreasonably high, but really, most of the lenses I check regularly have stayed right about the same over the last five years. the exceptions are the used copies of lenses whose *new* prices have gone up a lot - like the FA50 and FA35. And the A versions of the 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 have seen their prices rise with the tide along with the FA50.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 04-22-2010 at 04:16 PM.
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No. People who have no earthly idea what the lens is actually selling for, or who hope to dupe a seller who similarly has no idea, might try to list it for that. And maybe some sucker will pay it. But the usual selling price for this lens is about $125-$150. Seems to me it's actually come *down* a bit. As I recall, a few years ago KEH would list it closer to $200, but right now it's $133 (in EX condition). There's one in BGN condition for $99.

Frankly, that's about my impression of most of the used lenses prices - a few outlier setting their prices unreasonably high, but really, most of the lenses I check regularly have stayed right about the same over the last five years. the exceptions are the used copies of lenses whose *new* prices have gone up a lot - like the FA50 and FA35. And the A versions of the 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 have seen their prices rise with the tide along with the FA50.
Not to mention that the KEH bargain grade is about the same as Adorama or anyone else's used departments EX+ or maybe higher grade just makes it even more tempting to pick one up for that price, which is about how much I actually see them on Pentaxforums for.

04-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've had Pentax for about a year, used glass has definitely went up in price in that time. In what I've read, it's risen sharply from the prices of 2-4 years ago. It could be caused by supply and demand, or adapters for Canon and other brands becoming more popular, sales of the KX, or maybe a bad economy is causing more people to buy used instead of new, although you wouldn't think so with the amount of new equipment coming out industry wide. I've found the best lens buys to be lenses sold on Ebay that are "included" with film cameras. But these deals are happening less frequently.

Although used lens prices haven't come close to rising as much as new Pentax lenses in the past year!
Yup.