Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Tak SMC 200mm f1.4 Ft/M scale band came loose

Name:  smc_200_1.4.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  41.0 KB

Look at the attached images. IF you notice in the ft/m window there is no Information. There is no Scale from Infinity to the long end, The band that holds that information has come unglued and is now able to free spin around the outside of the barrel. Does anyone know of a fix for this. I hope I dont have to take down the lens as it is spotless inside. I say as good as it can ever get as in NEW, no dust, not nothing. I would hate to have to disassemble this lens to fix such a silly thing. However I would like the Noise of the band slipping around as I focus to stop. This lens is simply amazing and I want to fix it asap. I use it all the time, SO Any help would be appreciated.

I am an oly guy and love Takumar glass. I have a 85-210 and it is so sweet. One of my best lenses. Looks weird on my e.620 but on my e.3 it still looks funny, Darn thing is so long and skinny, But it take good pictures.

Attached Images

Last edited by akfreak; 04-18-2010 at 02:42 AM.
04-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Here is a second view of the loose scale info band
04-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
a peek of one of my favorite lenses I have ever owned! This baby is MINTY had the extra screw on lens (close up lens) hidden under the top cover of the lens case. What a swheet lens!
04-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
HMMM not a single reply? No One has hever seen this issue before, Or is it because I use OLy bodys.

04-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had the same issue on a 55mm f2.0 and ended up selling it as a result. You can try emailing Eric or Ralph Innes. I'm sure they will give you an answer.

Repair Resources & Rates
04-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akfreak Quote
...I would hate to have to disassemble this lens to fix such a silly thing. However I would like the Noise of the band slipping around as I focus to stop.
The noise is really irritating, and your diagnosis is correct, the band just has to be reglued. It also requires some disassembly. I think on this lens, there's a shortcut. You can focus to the minimum distance, grab the front of the lens and unscrew the barrel in front of the focus ring. That should leave you with about two-thirds of a lens. I think the next step is to unscrew the screws holding the focus ring on. The three screws do the same job as the screws marked with red arrows in this photo, but they are pretty deep on the 200mm. You might have some trouble getting a screwdriver that's long enough and thin enough.

The band is glued to the focus ring. You can usually see enough glue residue to put it back where it was before. If not, the focus ring has mechanical stops so you can tell where the minimum and maximim positions should be. I scratch a mark where the seam was, use naptha to remove all the old glue residue, put more glue on, then wax paper and a rubber band clamp. The wax paper keeps the rubber band from being glued on.

You'll have to reset the infinity focus position when you put the focus ring back on. Install all the screws but only tighten one. Screw the rest of the lens on. Focus on a really distant object if you can, then loosen the one tight screw, turn the focus ring so the orange diamond lines up with the infinity mark, and tighten all the screws. If the focus ring hits a stop before a distant object is in focus, loosen the one tight screw, turn the focus ring away from infinity a few degrees and try again.

I don't have this lens right now and I'm only 90% sure about the front unscrewing, less about where the focus ring screws are.
04-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having typed the above, I notice small common "grub" screws in the focus ring. Removing these might be necessary to access the screws that attach to the lens's focusing mechanism.
04-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Something so simple as to Glue failing. What a Shame. Well, I guess I have a go. IF I mess it up, I will just used it messed up. The glass is perfect!