Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #1

DA lenses and what ever happened with the aperture ring?

All,

I am still newbie in the world of SLR and DSLR. I've shot with a K1000 for many years and last year I upgraded to a K-x. I recently found out that my M type telephoto lens is broken and I am in the market for a new one. After reading lots of posts, I am deciding to go for smc PENTAX DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED. However, I do not believe the lens is compatible with my K1000 as the aperture is no manually controlled by a ring anymore. Tamron has a lens (Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di Aspherical (IF)) that is advertised as working with SLR and DSLR. However, I think it does not an aperture ring either.

Is not having an aperture ring clearly a disadvantage? Are there any other good performance commercial lenses that will work well with both cameras (any recommendation)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

04-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any lens without aperture ring will NOT function properly on K1000 as that camera has no way of controling aperture.
If you are on budget, Tamron 70-300 LD Di has aperture ring and is probably 2nd best option after DA55-300 (common opinion).
Peter
04-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Toro Quote
All,

I am still newbie in the world of SLR and DSLR. I've shot with a K1000 for many years and last year I upgraded to a K-x. I recently found out that my M type telephoto lens is broken and I am in the market for a new one. After reading lots of posts, I am deciding to go for smc PENTAX DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED. However, I do not believe the lens is compatible with my K1000 as the aperture is no manually controlled by a ring anymore. Tamron has a lens (Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di Aspherical (IF)) that is advertised as working with SLR and DSLR. However, I think it does not an aperture ring either.

Is not having an aperture ring clearly a disadvantage? Are there any other good performance commercial lenses that will work well with both cameras (any recommendation)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
There are a number of reasons why your DA 55-300 will not be compatible with your K-1000. The lens will not cover the full frame of the film at most lengths and apertures. This lens does not lose much by not having an aperture ring. However, for other Pentax DA lenses which do perform acceptably on film, the loss of an aperture ring is regretable. It effectively precludes use on any of the older bodies before the Super Program.

Last edited by GeneV; 04-18-2010 at 09:21 AM.
04-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The DA lenses were specifically designed for digital SLR and specifically the APS-c. The aperture rings are in someones desk drawer in Tokyo.

04-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's face it, the need for an aperture ring was eliminated in about 1983 withthe first pentax program camera and body controlled apertures.

while there is somewhat of a cult following with old film bodies, I can't say I blame pentax from eliminating ring.

After all, lenses by and far outlive cameras don't they?
04-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are looking for a replacement for use on your K1000, none of the DA lenses are good choices. Most will mechanically vinette and as your camera doesn't have autofocus most modern lenses suck at manual focusing. (The focus throw is too short).

I would be for an updated body before I would look for a new lens.
04-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

DA lenses just won't work on a K-cam, for the reasons mentioned above (vignetting, no aperture ring, short focus throw). All previous K-mount lenses WILL work on any K-cam, as will screwmount lenses. DA lenses are only for current dSLRs.

If you want to keep shooting film, I agree with updating the body. That K-1000 is rather long in the tooth by now. Pentax 90's vintage 135 SLRs with motor drives (and sometimes AF) are rather inexpensive. Let's see, my ZX-M cost a whole US$13. That's actually the averaged cost, as it came with a Promaster (Tamron) 60-300 zoom, Sakar 500/8 mirror, lousy SMC-A 35-80 kit lens, Tamrac camera pack, flash and filters and other stuff, all for USZ$65. Whatta deal!!

To maintain compatibility, to use the same lenses on your Kx and whatever K-mount film camera you decide to use, look for lenses in these series: K, M, A, F, FA, DFA. For autofocus, look for lenses in these series: F, FA, DFA.

And of course you can use manual screwmount lenses, with the right adapter(s). Many threads here discuss use of older automatic and manual lenses. Manual-focus lenses can be used on your Kx with a feature called Catch-In-Focus, the poor (or precise) person's autofocus. Many threads here discuss that also. Keep reading and have fun!

04-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Toro Quote
Is not having an aperture ring clearly a disadvantage?
It is for the small percentage of people who might want to use such a lens on a film camera that cannot control the aperture on its own. But considering that no such cameras have been made in decades, that replacing such a film camera with one that can control aperture would cost all of about $20, the fact that none of the cameras made in the last couple of decades can use the aperture ring properly, and few of the DA lenses work well on film anyhow because they aren't designed to cover the full 35mm format, plus the fact that the aperture ring adds complexity to the body design - and I think removing the aperture ring was the obviously right thing to do. In particular, even if the 55-300 had a ring, it still wouldn't work well on your K1000, because it doesn't cover the full 35mm format.

QuoteQuote:
Are there any other good performance commercial lenses that will work well with both cameras (any recommendation)?
Note that any lens that worked on both would of course work *differently* on both due to the crop factor. But sure, any of the FA lenses (not FA-J, as these also lack the aperture ring. They mostly aren't very well suited for manual focus, but they'd at least work.

BTW, you started two different threads with the same title. I have merged them.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 04-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
04-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It is for the small percentage of people who might want to use such a lens on a film camera that cannot control the aperture on its own. But considering that no such cameras have been made in decades, that replacing such a film camera with one that can control aperture would cost all of about $20, the fact that none of the cameras made in the last couple of decades can use the aperture ring properly, and few of the DA lenses work well on film anyhow because they aren't designed to cover the full 35mm format, plus the fact that the aperture ring adds complexity to the body design - and I think removing the aperture ring was the obviously right thing to do. In particular, even if the 55-300 had a ring, it still wouldn't work well on your K1000, because it doesn't cover the full 35mm format.

Note that any lens that worked on both would of course work *differently* on both due to the crop factor. But sure, any of the FA lenses (not FA-J, as these also lack the aperture ring. They mostly aren't very well suited for manual focus, but they'd at least work.

BTW, you started two different threads with the same title. I have merged them.
I agree with all but the statement about none of the cameras made in the last 2 decades can use the aperture ring properly.

My PZ-1 works just fine with the aperture ring.

Now in a couple of years time, it will be old enough to make the statement true, but just not quite yet
04-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I knew I should have checked the actual dates!