Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Which lens is best for me?

I recently sold most of my pentax lens and film camera and bought a new K20D package which came with the Pentax DA 18-55 F 3.5 lens. I also have a Pentax FA 1:2.8 100mm macro, which takes wonderful portraits and close-ups. I'd like to get a DA* zoom, but I do not know which to buy. I can only afford one. There is less than a $200 difference. The two Lenses I am considering are the DA* 50-135mm F2.8 or the DA* 60-250mm F4.

I am an amateur, an advanced one, and I like to take photos of people, buildings, flowers and wildlife. I live on a bay with plenty of wildlife around. My wife and I like to camp and travel around the country visiting state and national parks. Since I recently retired, I have plenty of time to wander.

I think the lens that came with the camera is not as good as the camera body. Since we live near the water humidity and dust are a constant problem. I hope the DA* lenses will offer better protection.

I lean toward the DA* 60-250mm because the telephoto would be great but I am afraid that the lens may be too much--too much in weight and size to carry around as a primary lens. The DA* 50-135mm seems more compact and perhaps would better serve as a primary lens.

I would appreciate hearing from you what you would recommend. Thanks,

Ed

04-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Although you say you want to get the DA* lenses, I would really recommend the Pentax DA 55-300mm if you really want telephoto. The other two lenses are simply too big for most people to realize, and the 60-250mm is a giant, one that you would probably get far too tired of constantly carrying around and having to pay that much for. the DA 55-300mm is really a great lens though, it may not be weather sealed but it really can takes a lot of good photos.
04-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

thoughts on the 50-135, 60-250 and 55-300

I currently own the DA*50-135 and DA*60-250. Previously I owned the DA 55-300. There is a huge size/weight difference between the 55-300 and the 60-250. The 50-135 is right in the middle size wise, but obviously doesn't have nearly the reach of either of the other two lenses.

The 55-300 is a great lens for the price, and is fairly compact and light. I somewhat regret selling mine since as carrying the 60-250 around for long periods of time isn't as comfortable. That being said, it's the 60-250 is a fantastic lens and is quite sharp wide open.

The 50-135 is probably my favorite zoom. For me it's the perfect range for outdoor shooting of people. I used to think it was on the large side before I tried the Sigma 70-200, Sigma 100-300 and Pentax 60-250. Now I think of the 50-135 as a fairly lgiht and compact zoom that's pretty easy to carry around. I guess everything is relative.

As for the 60-250, if you don't mind the size, weight and price, it's a pretty verstile lens. Is it worth 3-4x the cost of a 55-300? For me that's a tough question. For what it's worth, below are some picture from the Kx+60-250 I took a week ago (all handheld, shot at f/4).