Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #1

Fastest pentax lens?!?!?!?

What is the fastest Pentax lens out there? I have a 1.4 50mm... Anything faster? Just thought I would post and see

04-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leadguitarest Quote
What is the fastest Pentax lens out there? I have a 1.4 50mm... Anything faster? Just thought I would post and see
The Fastest Pentax lens I know of is the 50mm f1:1.2, strictly in terms of wide open aperture number. The last one released I believe is the Pentax-A 50mm f1:1.2. I think there was rumor of an FA version but I don't think it ever happened.

04-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You got a great lens collection JeffS
04-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
You got a great lens collection JeffS
Years of bartering, trading, selling and upgrading, etc. Unfortunately, most days, that's exactly what it is.. A collection. Only one fits on a camera and I'm not a fan of carrying a bunch of stuff and changing lenses in the field. If I didn't think it would weigh a ton and be completely impractical, I would be thinking of a Lens turret so I could just load and go. Kind of like the old Bolex (and other) movie cameras had. Of course, the mounts for those cameras are about 1/3 the size of the K mount.

04-19-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Years of bartering, trading, selling and upgrading, etc. Unfortunately, most days, that's exactly what it is.. A collection. Only one fits on a camera and I'm not a fan of carrying a bunch of stuff and changing lenses in the field.
The obvious solution is to dedicate one body per lens. That way you'd never have to change lenses, just swap cameras. I'll even loan you my bearer, Ansel, to shlep them around for you, as soon as he returns from therapy. Heh.

More seriously, I've read of some noted photographer and teacher (damn, I wish I could remember her name!) who operates on the model of few lenses, several cameras. Considering the relative prices of top-end glass and decent bodies, that's not such a crazy paradigm.

QuoteQuote:
If I didn't think it would weigh a ton and be completely impractical, I would be thinking of a Lens turret so I could just load and go. Kind of like the old Bolex (and other) movie cameras had. Of course, the mounts for those cameras are about 1/3 the size of the K mount.
I was surfing idly not too long ago and came upon a Russian still camera with a turret for M42 lenses. Let's see, if I could have a 20, 35, 55, 85, and 135 all aboard at once, all the fastest available, I could toss most of my zooms! Bon voyage, Vivitar Series 1! Sayonara, superzoom! Kiss my a$$, kit lens! Bye bye, Lil'Bigma! No, wait, I'd have to keep that last. But all the rest? Sold down the river!

Tsk, with that turret loaded, my bearer Ansel will need to see a chiropractor more often, poor lad.
04-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are several f1.2 lenses out there. Pentax made a K version and an A version. Both come up for sale periodically, but seem a little pricey considering they are used, manual focus glass. I think Robin (rparmar) had a thread recently where he looked at the 50 f1.2. Pretty sharp wide open.
04-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The obvious solution is to dedicate one body per lens. That way you'd never have to change lenses, just swap cameras. I'll even loan you my bearer, Ansel, to shlep them around for you, as soon as he returns from therapy. Heh.

More seriously, I've read of some noted photographer and teacher (damn, I wish I could remember her name!) who operates on the model of few lenses, several cameras. Considering the relative prices of top-end glass and decent bodies, that's not such a crazy paradigm.
I Have done that... Still prefer to be a one camera sort of guy.. The main problem is I love the prime lenses but the zooms are most useful to me. Go figure...

QuoteQuote:
I was surfing idly not too long ago and came upon a Russian still camera with a turret for M42 lenses. Let's see, if I could have a 20, 35, 55, 85, and 135 all aboard at once, all the fastest available, I could toss most of my zooms! Bon voyage, Vivitar Series 1! Sayonara, superzoom! Kiss my a$$, kit lens! Bye bye, Lil'Bigma! No, wait, I'd have to keep that last. But all the rest? Sold down the river!

Tsk, with that turret loaded, my bearer Ansel will need to see a chiropractor more often, poor lad.

04-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

There's an FA 50 f1,2, I've seen pictures of it. But it's the rarest thing next to gold Pentax cameras and lenses
04-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you need to qualify speed as a function of focal length.

f2.8 at 400 mm is a really big fast lens
04-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
There's an FA 50 f1,2, I've seen pictures of it. But it's the rarest thing next to gold Pentax cameras and lenses
That must have been the one (I guess) they made. If somebody actually owns it, he/she is holding on to it for dear life.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think you need to qualify speed as a function of focal length.

f2.8 at 400 mm is a really big fast lens

I was going to but I didn't want to get into it. Besides, the A50 f1:1.2 was sitting right next to me at the time I made the post.

04-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not really, there were 2 for sale a week ago in the market place and there is always one for sale on flea bay.

there are perhaps 3 versions SMC 50mm F1.2, smc 50mm F1.2 and SMC-A 50mm F1.2.

I think the only difference between SMC and smc are the production dates, SMC is early (produced during K series camera production) and smc is late (produced during M series camera production)At least that is what someone has posted here in the past
04-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Years of bartering, trading, selling and upgrading, etc. Unfortunately, most days, that's exactly what it is.. A collection. Only one fits on a camera and I'm not a fan of carrying a bunch of stuff and changing lenses in the field. If I didn't think it would weigh a ton and be completely impractical ...
Recently I asked a pro photographer friend of mine how many lenses he carried in the field. 'As many as my assistant can carry' was the answer.

The luxury of it ...

Tim
04-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
not really, there were 2 for sale a week ago in the market place and there is always one for sale on flea bay.
There were 2 FA 50mm f1.2 lenses in the market place last week?
04-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dimitrov's database has no mention of this alleged FA 50mm f1.2 lens. You guys must be fibbing or smoking some good stuff
04-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #15

dreaming of a..... la~la~Lala