Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey, Gene: You read me incorrectly... again. I am not offended or upset. The fact I thought one of your statements rude does not imply I'm sitting here fuming into my keyboard.

If you wish to be sarcastic and you acknowledge that English is not your first language, perhaps indicate this with an emoticon? Otherwise, how do you really expect anyone else to understand you? Tone is not easily carried in the written word.

If this is the only time in 50 years someone has misunderstood you, you are either extremely lucky or extremely forgetful. People misunderstand me all the time -- it is in the nature of language.

(I will not reply further in case more misunderstandings occur! We can take this to PM.)

04-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Hey, Gene: You read me incorrectly... again. I am not offended or upset. The fact I thought one of your statements rude does not imply I'm sitting here fuming into my keyboard.

If you wish to be sarcastic and you acknowledge that English is not your first language, perhaps indicate this with an emoticon? Otherwise, how do you really expect anyone else to understand you? Tone is not easily carried in the written word.

If this is the only time in 50 years someone has misunderstood you, you are either extremely lucky or extremely forgetful. People misunderstand me all the time -- it is in the nature of language.

(I will not reply further in case more misunderstandings occur! We can take this to PM.)
We need the x and the v. I saw this and wondered what I had said.
04-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
We need the x and the v. I saw this and wondered what I had said.
Oops! So sorry! Didn't realize there was another one. I'll make sure I use the "x" in the future! Thanks for the heads-up!

xGene
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Touché !!! On the other hand, I am a of those that believe a beautiful woman is beautiful, no matter what! That's the French genes in me...
Unfortunately (or not???) I do not have many opportunities to photograph head shots of professional models ... But if I could, I would rather use my FA50, or FA77ltd, or FA*85. NOT the Sigma 70 EX, unless I had no other choice.

Gene
those are nice lenses for portraiture work. I was adamant on looking for a good deal on an FA*85 last year, before giving up since it's price is just too much ($1,000+) and it's hood is somehow ridiculously big as well. although it is small and light without it.

you don't have to worry about shooting headshots of professional models. what you would only see are heavy layers of make-up to cover up some of those freckles and pores. although there are exceptions and those types are really anal and takes care a lot about their face and bodies.

anyhow, beauty does lie in the eyes of the beholder.

04-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

Mmm... trust me, I had my share of misunderstanding in my life! and probaby many more to come. I like to think it made me "wiser".... Although my latest post is not a good representation... (<= please take note)

As you can see with my number of posts, I don't have much experience with this, but I take a lot of pictures, and did it for a long time (only with Pentax equipment) so I think I can bring some value to this forum. Please forgive me! (<= please take note)
Are we cool? <=

xGene
04-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
those are nice lenses for portraiture work. I was adamant on looking for a good deal on an FA*85 last year, before giving up since it's price is just too much ($1,000+) and it's hood is somehow ridiculously big as well. although it is small and light without it.

I am actually barely using the FA*85 anymore since I acquired the 77ltd. I think it possesses all the advantages of the 85, without the drawbacks (WEIGHT & size). I know this will probably trigger a volley of protests from some... But this is my position. Let me know if you're still interested. It's mint. I was thinking of keeping it for "sentimental" value... But really it's just sitting in a closet (covered in a nice red velvety fabric...)

you don't have to worry about shooting headshots of professional models. what you would only see are heavy layers of make-up to cover up some of those freckles and pores. although there are exceptions and those types are really anal and takes care a lot about their face and bodies.

LOL! That's what I thought! Thanks for confirming! BTW, I like freckles...

anyhow, beauty does lie in the eyes of the beholder.
Agreed! :ugh::ugh:
04-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Actually, if the Pentax 100 Macro had a focus limiter, that is the one I would have gotten.
Gene
the FA100/2.8 has a focus limiter. it's AF is much much faster than the Sigma. the Pentax has a lot more punchy color, the Sigma is a lot more sharper and has more contrast. both are indispensable due to their respective focal length use. anyhow, I almost considered setting aside and selling the FA100 in favor of the Sigma, especially when doing macro. only to find out later that I needed the extra telephoto reach in other use.

04-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Agreed! :ugh::ugh:
Gene, I believe the extra 8mm reach and half-stop faster of the 85mm over the 77mm would be much nicer in rendering a much more brighter and shallower DOF in isolating the subject from the background. your proposition sounds very interesting but I'm also optimistic about the upcoming Sigma 85 which I'm also considering in buying and saving for at the end of the year. who knows, it might even be better and cheaper than the FA*85. anyway, out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to sell it if ever?

one more question, how was the bokeh on the Bokina? I think I'm also going to start a thread pitting it against another lens.
04-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #24

the FA100/2.8 has a focus limiter. it's AF is much much faster than the Sigma. the Pentax has a lot more punchy color, the Sigma is a lot more sharper and has more contrast. both are indispensable due to their respective focal length use. anyhow, I almost considered setting aside and selling the FA100 in favor of the Sigma, especially when doing macro. only to find out later that I needed the extra telephoto reach in other use.
Ah! I stand corrected! I could swear the D-FA had no limiter... unless it was the 50mm? Damn! Now I can kick myself... funny thing is that they don't even indicate it has a limiter on Pentax' website... You would think they would advertise about such an important feature??
So by your statement (Sigma a lot more sharper) you agree with me that all Macro lenses are not created equal although this FL is "easy" to design (sorry rparmar, couldn't pass on that one! (<= again)

I am in agreement with you, this is the reason I keep my older Tamron SP 90 Adaptall, for when I need a little more distance to the subject. But I definitely prefer the Sigma's rendering and sharpness (for macro work).

xGene
04-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #25

Gene, I believe the extra 8mm reach and half-stop faster of the 85mm over the 77mm would be much nicer in rendering a much more brighter and shallower DOF in isolating the subject from the background. your proposition sounds very interesting but I'm also optimistic about the upcoming Sigma 85 which I'm also considering in buying and saving for at the end of the year. who knows, it might even be better and cheaper than the FA*85. anyway, out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to sell it if ever?
Again I agree with you. However, I found that the difference in rendering does not warrant the additional bulk. And that hood!!! Man!! what were they thinking??? In a nutshell, the FA*85 has a little bit more CA wide open, but currently not "correctable" in the K-7. The FA77 now is. I like that. Additionally, if I need more "reach", because of the quality of the K-7 RAW's, I can always crop to magnify, without significant loss in IQ. Again, this is based upon my own copies of these lenses. I have a feeling that these 2 lenses have very similar optical formulations, with perhaps a different coating? The 77mm seems to have better contrasts, but the difference is really, well, minimal.

How much I would sell my FA*85? I really don't know. What is the market price right now? Sorry for asking, I really really have no idea whatsoever. I only know how much I paid for it back in 1998.

xGene
04-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #26

one more question, how was the bokeh on the Bokina? I think I'm also going to start a thread pitting it against another lens.
Sorry Pentaxor... I have no idea what you mean by "Bokina"...

xGene
04-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Ah! I stand corrected! I could swear the D-FA had no limiter... unless it was the 50mm? Damn! Now I can kick myself... funny thing is that they don't even indicate it has a limiter on Pentax' website... You would think they would advertise about such an important feature??
So by your statement (Sigma a lot more sharper) you agree with me that all Macro lenses are not created equal although this FL is "easy" to design (sorry rparmar, couldn't pass on that one! (<= again)

I am in agreement with you, this is the reason I keep my older Tamron SP 90 Adaptall, for when I need a little more distance to the subject. But I definitely prefer the Sigma's rendering and sharpness (for macro work).

xGene
Gene, you somewhat confused the FA100 with the D-FA. the FA is the version before the D-FA and it is completely different from it's D-FA successor. the body design of the FA is different since it's built like a tank ( solid metal) and has a recessed element and focus limiter switch and focus clamp, but doesn't have the quick-shift that the D-FA has.

macros are far different from ordinary lenses and above class IMO. and I also notice that macros render differently eventhough how good they are already in terms of IQ. there is a degree of difference in contrast, sharpness, color and bokeh rendering as well. I'm not sure though if the 85mm is easy to design. I think otherwise that would be the 50mm and 135mm but ultimately the 135mm, IMO.
04-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Sorry Pentaxor... I have no idea what you mean by "Bokina"...

xGene
I was referring to the Tokina 90/2.5 or Vivitar 90/2.5.
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #29
Forum Member

Regarding the Pentax Limited 70 2.4, I was really impressed by its sharpness. It is really worth it.
04-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Someone beat you to it, at least in the sharpness department.
Making Not Taking: Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 VMC 1:2 "Bokina"

Making Not Taking: 8-Lens Macro Shoot-Out

This is a very special lens. I currently have it in for repairs and won't see it for another week or two. I've only taken a few photos with it and the sharpness/bokeh is absolutely amazing. I'll try to put some photos up so you can get an idea of the bokeh.