Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
The DA 14 is indeed a close focuser at 17cm. In fact that and the extra stop are its advantages over the DA 12-24mm (30cm). Although I am a speed demon I would never be using a lens this wide at f/2.8. And I have never run into a problem with close focus on the zoom, like I have, say, with the FA43. But... horses for courses... both render fantastic images. I am sure if I had the DA 14mm I would suddenly discover I could not live without it.

Here's two from the zoom.

streetscape Cordoba




high contrast fan no. 1



04-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
I've heard great things about all 14mm lenses actually, I know someone who has the Canon equivalent (the L one) and they take some amazing photos with it. The only difference I suppose is that they use it on full frame, so it's literally 14mm, and not 21mm like the Pentax, which unfortunately provides a lot less wide angle. I really like all of the photos that I've seen in this thread though which temps me to want this one more. Not to mention how much cheaper it costs to buy the Pentax one.

Last edited by jct us101; 04-19-2010 at 09:19 PM.
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
the DA14 is a good lens IMO. but it is somehow limiting of use considering it's size. if size matters to you, you'd be better off with the DA15. otherwise, get a UW zoom lens instead.

this one is from the DA12-24 at 12mm.



btw, I don't have a filter. I also needed to put an extension ring if ever I put one on. so pardon me for the unnecessary reflections.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-20-2010 at 03:53 AM.
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,095
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the DA14 is a good lens IMO. but it is somehow limiting of use considering it's size. if size matters to you, you'd be better off with the DA15. otherwise, get a UW zoom lens instead.

this one is from the DA12-24 at 12mm.



btw, I don't have a filter. I also needed to put an extension ring if ever I put one on. so pardon me for the unnecessary reflections.
Very nice pix of the Camaro with your 12-24. BTW, I'm enjoying my 50 mm F 2.8 Macro...excellent lens and Broadway Photo Vancouver, still seems to be the best price in Canada for the 14 mm...$ 30 cheaper then elsewhere...but I'm hoping for more of a deal, before I consider.

Les

04-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,095
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The DA 14 is indeed a close focuser at 17cm. In fact that and the extra stop are its advantages over the DA 12-24mm (30cm). Although I am a speed demon I would never be using a lens this wide at f/2.8. And I have never run into a problem with close focus on the zoom, like I have, say, with the FA43. But... horses for courses... both render fantastic images. I am sure if I had the DA 14mm I would suddenly discover I could not live without it.

Here's two from the zoom.

streetscape Cordoba




high contrast fan no. 1

Nice shots...even tho the 14 m is an F 2.8 I also doubt if I would go that low much...
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,095
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I've heard great things about all 14mm lenses actually, I know someone who has the Canon equivalent (the L one) and they take some amazing photos with it. The only difference I suppose is that they use it on full frame, so it's literally 14mm, and not 21mm like the Pentax, which unfortunately provides a lot less wide angle. I really like all of the photos that I've seen in this thread though which temps me to want this one more. Not to mention how much cheaper it costs to buy the Pentax one.
Yes...I do like the idea of a full frame and a wide angle.
04-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,552
the DA12-24 has pretty high CA. can it be easily corrected in the LR?
04-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice pix of the Camaro with your 12-24. BTW, I'm enjoying my 50 mm F 2.8 Macro...excellent lens and Broadway Photo Vancouver, still seems to be the best price in Canada for the 14 mm...$ 30 cheaper then elsewhere...but I'm hoping for more of a deal, before I consider.

Les

tnx !

Les, have you tried phoning this place >>> Welcome to Multiple Electronics ? I believe they are selling it for around cough $650?

04-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
the DA12-24 has pretty high CA. can it be easily corrected in the LR?
YES. the camaro shot had some strong CAs on the highlights before I had it corrected. the adjustments were done in the blue area.
04-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
the DA12-24 has pretty high CA. can it be easily corrected in the LR?
It Can have a lot of CA/PF, as can any other lens, when used wide open in certain situations. ANY lens is susceptible to it and it's as much a function and the nature of the beast on digital cameras as anything else. I can make, every single lens in my Sig, display some form of CA or PF and I can do it with any of my cameras.

The answer to your other question is yes it can be fixed, to an extent. It's best to shoot RAW and work with that file however than to try and fix it on a JPG. The key seems to be, getting the exposure, overall, correct to begin with. CA and PF are most predominant in highly over exposed slightly out of focus areas.

I think I showed you some example of it being fixed in ACR (the same that LR uses).. here's another example from the king of PF, the Tamron LD Di 70-300

Basically out of camera..



Fixed..



04-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
the DA12-24 has pretty high CA. can it be easily corrected in the LR?
I have never once had a shot that called for it. Not saying it can never happen, but it is simply a non-issue for me. In fact, purple fringing on my DA 77mm Limited is more a problem. But, yes, I believe it is an easy correction whatever software you use.
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,552
How exactly can a CA occur in a picture? is it most of the shots that theres a CA ?
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
How exactly can a CA occur in a picture? is it most of the shots that theres a CA ?
CAs usually occurs on images with strong contrast highlights or subject to background highlights. usually evident in wide open shots.

other things can be done inorder to lessen or remove CAs, such as in-camera correction features of cameras, decreasing contrast, underexposing and decreasing contrast. but the most effective way is to remove it during RAW PP.
04-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,552
Sorry but cant get what you mean w/ subject to background highlights
04-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484


The Actual subject of this photo is the black bird on the wire. If this had been taken wide open (SMC TAK 55 f1.8), you would see fringing and CA all over the place. It is best to avoid brightly lit high contrast situations like this if possible but when you do encounter them, Stop the lens down (higher aperture number) and a lot of the would Be aberrations will clean themselves up.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
angle, colour, distortion, fisheye, k-mount, mm, pentax, pentax lens, rendition, shots, slr lens, vehicles
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thinking about buying the pentax k-x LosHollyBeach Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 01-28-2010 07:54 PM
Nice idea of buying me a K7 TKH Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 11-09-2009 01:30 PM
Is it good idea if Pentax makes new compact zoom for Pentax K-m ogl Photographic Technique 4 10-13-2008 08:46 AM
Pentax 50mm F1.4.....thinking about getting one. Any good? lesmore49 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 09-30-2008 11:28 AM
Buying a used K10D? Good idea? edumad General Talk 10 05-05-2008 10:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top