Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA 14 is indeed a close focuser at 17cm. In fact that and the extra stop are its advantages over the DA 12-24mm (30cm). Although I am a speed demon I would never be using a lens this wide at f/2.8. And I have never run into a problem with close focus on the zoom, like I have, say, with the FA43. But... horses for courses... both render fantastic images. I am sure if I had the DA 14mm I would suddenly discover I could not live without it.

Here's two from the zoom.

streetscape Cordoba

high contrast fan no. 1

04-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I've heard great things about all 14mm lenses actually, I know someone who has the Canon equivalent (the L one) and they take some amazing photos with it. The only difference I suppose is that they use it on full frame, so it's literally 14mm, and not 21mm like the Pentax, which unfortunately provides a lot less wide angle. I really like all of the photos that I've seen in this thread though which temps me to want this one more. Not to mention how much cheaper it costs to buy the Pentax one.

Last edited by jct us101; 04-19-2010 at 09:19 PM.
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

the DA14 is a good lens IMO. but it is somehow limiting of use considering it's size. if size matters to you, you'd be better off with the DA15. otherwise, get a UW zoom lens instead.

this one is from the DA12-24 at 12mm.

btw, I don't have a filter. I also needed to put an extension ring if ever I put one on. so pardon me for the unnecessary reflections.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-20-2010 at 03:53 AM.
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the DA14 is a good lens IMO. but it is somehow limiting of use considering it's size. if size matters to you, you'd be better off with the DA15. otherwise, get a UW zoom lens instead.

this one is from the DA12-24 at 12mm.

btw, I don't have a filter. I also needed to put an extension ring if ever I put one on. so pardon me for the unnecessary reflections.
Very nice pix of the Camaro with your 12-24. BTW, I'm enjoying my 50 mm F 2.8 Macro...excellent lens and Broadway Photo Vancouver, still seems to be the best price in Canada for the 14 mm...$ 30 cheaper then elsewhere...but I'm hoping for more of a deal, before I consider.

Les

04-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The DA 14 is indeed a close focuser at 17cm. In fact that and the extra stop are its advantages over the DA 12-24mm (30cm). Although I am a speed demon I would never be using a lens this wide at f/2.8. And I have never run into a problem with close focus on the zoom, like I have, say, with the FA43. But... horses for courses... both render fantastic images. I am sure if I had the DA 14mm I would suddenly discover I could not live without it.

Here's two from the zoom.

streetscape Cordoba

high contrast fan no. 1

Nice shots...even tho the 14 m is an F 2.8 I also doubt if I would go that low much...
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I've heard great things about all 14mm lenses actually, I know someone who has the Canon equivalent (the L one) and they take some amazing photos with it. The only difference I suppose is that they use it on full frame, so it's literally 14mm, and not 21mm like the Pentax, which unfortunately provides a lot less wide angle. I really like all of the photos that I've seen in this thread though which temps me to want this one more. Not to mention how much cheaper it costs to buy the Pentax one.
Yes...I do like the idea of a full frame and a wide angle.
04-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

the DA12-24 has pretty high CA. can it be easily corrected in the LR?
04-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice pix of the Camaro with your 12-24. BTW, I'm enjoying my 50 mm F 2.8 Macro...excellent lens and Broadway Photo Vancouver, still seems to be the best price in Canada for the 14 mm...$ 30 cheaper then elsewhere...but I'm hoping for more of a deal, before I consider.

Les

tnx !

Les, have you tried phoning this place >>> Welcome to Multiple Electronics ? I believe they are selling it for around cough $650?

04-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
YES. the camaro shot had some strong CAs on the highlights before I had it corrected. the adjustments were done in the blue area.
04-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It Can have a lot of CA/PF, as can any other lens, when used wide open in certain situations. ANY lens is susceptible to it and it's as much a function and the nature of the beast on digital cameras as anything else. I can make, every single lens in my Sig, display some form of CA or PF and I can do it with any of my cameras.

The answer to your other question is yes it can be fixed, to an extent. It's best to shoot RAW and work with that file however than to try and fix it on a JPG. The key seems to be, getting the exposure, overall, correct to begin with. CA and PF are most predominant in highly over exposed slightly out of focus areas.

I think I showed you some example of it being fixed in ACR (the same that LR uses).. here's another example from the king of PF, the Tamron LD Di 70-300

Basically out of camera..

Fixed..

04-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have never once had a shot that called for it. Not saying it can never happen, but it is simply a non-issue for me. In fact, purple fringing on my DA 77mm Limited is more a problem. But, yes, I believe it is an easy correction whatever software you use.
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

How exactly can a CA occur in a picture? is it most of the shots that theres a CA ?
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

How exactly can a CA occur in a picture? is it most of the shots that theres a CA ?
CAs usually occurs on images with strong contrast highlights or subject to background highlights. usually evident in wide open shots.

other things can be done inorder to lessen or remove CAs, such as in-camera correction features of cameras, decreasing contrast, underexposing and decreasing contrast. but the most effective way is to remove it during RAW PP.
04-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sorry but cant get what you mean w/ subject to background highlights
04-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The Actual subject of this photo is the black bird on the wire. If this had been taken wide open (SMC TAK 55 f1.8), you would see fringing and CA all over the place. It is best to avoid brightly lit high contrast situations like this if possible but when you do encounter them, Stop the lens down (higher aperture number) and a lot of the would Be aberrations will clean themselves up.