Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Sorry but cant get what you mean w/ subject to background highlights
subject up front, with highlights in the background.

04-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Thx for the explanation Jeff..
But how can you determine that a certain image will cause CA and an image that wont?
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

basing from the example of Jeff "Highlights in the background" you mean the clouds or the sky?
04-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

basing from the example of Jeff "Highlights in the background" you mean the clouds or the sky?
nope, lighting.

04-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #35
Veteran Member

But how can you determine that a certain image will cause CA and an image that wont?
it usually appears when deliberately putting or setting strong contrast subject against strong lighting or highlight. some lenses have very high tolerance against CAs and some are not. usually wide angle lenses with protruding elements could have such, but I'm not 100% certain (although atleast from the protruding lenses that I have displayed such CA). some wide angle lenses such as the DA15 have great CA control. note: although some lenses don't display obvious CA in a normal daylight setting, this doesn't mean that it won't have CA under very extreme contrast conditions. the difference is rather on what level or degree of CA tolerance the lens can handle. lens with better CA control would mean less or no CA correction or PP work.
04-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Vote for the 14mm

I bought a used DA 14 this past summer, and I've never looked back. I'm sure the 15mm is very, very nice indeed, but I find that the 14 color is wonderful, I love the extra stop, and ...actually.... I LIKE the extra heft the lens requires. More to hang onto and more to keep my hands stable. It looks impressive on a K20D with a grip attached!

I shot a great deal of twilight to darkness images the past fall, due to being an official photog for the high school band. That little bit faster stop was handy, photos still very sharp and just really nice images.

Find a good deal on a used, get it!!!
04-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

The DA14 is an excellent lens. I have had mine for 5.5 years and love it along with my DA15 Limited. I also have the DA12-24.

The benefits of the DA14 over the DA12-24 are the following:

* Close focus ability of 170mm compared with the DA12-24's 300mm. This can be very important for those close up shots that give that immense "close to far" impression. I find the DA12-24 a bit limiting in this department.

* the DA14 has f2.8 capability.

* You can use smaller ND grad sets without fear of vignetting

* The DA14 is smaller than the DA12-24

The DA14 was one of my most used lenses up until the DA15.
04-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Qualities I look for and that I wonder whether the 14 mm would meet well include:

* Very clear, sharp pix of vehicles....although the 16-45 mm is excellent, I would hope that the 14 mm surpasses this lens in these qualities. I'm assuming it might as the 14 mm is a prime, compared to the zoom 16-45.
If Photozone is to be believed (and it generally is), the reverse is actually true: the 16-45 actually beats the 14 in sharpness for the most part. Probably not by enough to matter, but if you think you're going to get noticeably sharper pictures from the 14, I think you need to be aware that's almost definitely *not* true.

QuoteQuote:
* Colour Rendition
I'd be *shocked* if there were enough of a difference to be worth spend $70, much less $700 for. In any event, given color is also strongly affected the WB, and so easily tuned in PP, I wouldn't make this much of a factor either.

QuoteQuote:
* Distortion - I don't mind a bit of wide angle distortion, however I do like the vehicles to more or less appear as they do to the human eye.
Neither the 16-45 nor the 14 are particularly good in this department. The 15 is definitely a step up (as it is in sharpness, too), but again - probably not by enough to be worth spending the money on.

QuoteQuote:
* The 14 mm is an F2.8...during evening shots I hope that an F 2.8 will make a significant difference over the F 4 of the 16-45. Would this be the case, do you think ?
I don't think so, no. You don't need particularly fast shutter speeds at these focal lengths, and DOF is already surprisingly shallow at f/4 when dealing with the close focus distance we are typically talking about. Unless you are specifically *wanting* shallower DOF, I wouldn't pay much extra for f/2.8.

04-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
The DA14 is an excellent lens. I have had mine for 5.5 years and love it along with my DA15 Limited. I also have the DA12-24.

The benefits of the DA14 over the DA12-24 are the following:

* Close focus ability of 170mm compared with the DA12-24's 300mm. This can be very important for those close up shots that give that immense "close to far" impression. I find the DA12-24 a bit limiting in this department.

* the DA14 has f2.8 capability.

* You can use smaller ND grad sets without fear of vignetting

* The DA14 is smaller than the DA12-24

The DA14 was one of my most used lenses up until the DA15.
Thanks Lance for the detailed reply. Lot's of good info and I envy your vast repertoire of Pentax equipment.
04-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If Photozone is to be believed (and it generally is), the reverse is actually true: the 16-45 actually beats the 14 in sharpness for the most part. Probably not by enough to matter, but if you think you're going to get noticeably sharper pictures from the 14, I think you need to be aware that's almost definitely *not* true.

Hmmnnn...that is important. I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with the sharpness of my 16-45 (also my 55-300)...especially considering these are consumer lenses.

I'd be *shocked* if there were enough of a difference to be worth spend $70, much less $700 for. In any event, given color is also strongly affected the WB, and so easily tuned in PP, I wouldn't make this much of a factor either.

Neither the 16-45 nor the 14 are particularly good in this department. The 15 is definitely a step up (as it is in sharpness, too), but again - probably not by enough to be worth spending the money on.

I don't think so, no. You don't need particularly fast shutter speeds at these focal lengths, and DOF is already surprisingly shallow at f/4 when dealing with the close focus distance we are typically talking about. Unless you are specifically *wanting* shallower DOF, I wouldn't pay much extra for f/2.8.
Thanks Marc for your thoughts. Lot's of points to consider.

Les