Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Cosinon Lenses: 50mm 1.7, 28mm 2.8, 135mm 2.8

Just wanted to share my 3 new lenses with you.
Haven't been able to find much info on Cosinon PK-A lenses at all online, so I thought I'd contribute myself.

Here is a link to my picasa gallery with some pics I took the other day.
I hope it can give an impression of how the lenses behave in real life.
None of the pictures have been edited - though after post processing they look a lot btter.

Picasa Webalbum - Esben

Taken with my K200D which has a split image focus screen - a must really for manual lenses

04-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you have some fine glass there. Very nice.
04-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for taking the time to contribute. It's always good to have samples from different lenses. But posting them inline makes it easier for us to see them

I do hope you don't mind me being forthright. It is hard to tell from these images what the lenses are like, because there are numerous problems -- exposure, focus, framing, the usual sort -- that you seem to be dealing with. Maybe you'd post some for critique and that would help you get better at your craft.

I am sure the Cosinon lenses are decent although that brand is not known for being superb. They are not to be confused with Cosina despite the similar names.
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Don't mind at all. Worst thing ever when Iask for critique is "that looks fine" : )

But these weren't to show my skills - just the lenses
The usefulness might be limited due to lack of info on the settings.

I frame my shots very wide in camera. Like to have options r in PP. I do a lot ofcompositing and graphics.
I used auto exposure to give an impression of how they behave,
Maybe I should have posted comments on where the focus is in the picture, but they are as accurately focused as is possible without tripod. And I have been doing some testing that may show a slight back/front focus issue in the viewfinder - just installed a focus sreen. Not sure though

I shot them walking home from work in 30 minutes or so just for my own use to check them out so I didn't write down which aperturesettings I used.

If anyone shows interest I'd do a proper test of them.

When I find the time I'dreally like to upload some finished ones for critique - is there a specific sub forum for this?

04-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by esben Quote
I frame my shots very wide in camera. Like to have options r in PP. I do a lot ofcompositing and graphics.
I do a little too. But it doesn't help resolution if you have to crop in too much to get the bit you want. Maybe shoot both crops and wider perspectives?

QuoteOriginally posted by esben Quote
When I find the time I'dreally like to upload some finished ones for critique - is there a specific sub forum for this?
Yes, there is a photo critique forum, but I always post in the parent and accept comments anyway.
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understood your OP to be just kind of a look-see at the lenses performance. What I initially saw were four quite acceptable images on picassa. I didn't really see the need for a great deal of critique. There didn't seem to be any obvious problems with the lenses functions. So, I provided a short comment only. Yep, I'd agree that wasn't much help. Really though, to judge any of the lenses, I think I have to have a compared to some other glass in the same length. Without that, it makes commenting on your images fairly hard.