Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wide-Angle Manual Focus Lens

I've pretty much filled out my lens collection, with the exception of a wide angle lens. My widest is 35mm (Super-Takumar 35mm f2.0 and Pentax-A 35-105mm f3.5). I'd like something along the lines of 10-20mm. Ideally it'd be manual focus, fast, under $300, rectilinear and has low distortion. I don't think any lenses in the review section fits under those criteria so I'm open to suggestions....

04-20-2010, 12:48 AM   #2

I'm in the same boat here like you hangu! Been browsing the lens review section but didn't really see anything that fits my needs. I kind of eyed the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 but it's not fast and quite a bit past the $300 price point, even second hand. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in the hope somebody has other suggestions.
04-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe wait 6 months: the going price of a used 10-20mm Sigmas will probably drop as owners purchase the new 8-16mm and offload the 10-20mm.

If you're in a hurry, your most economical option is probably to buy a cheap fixed fisheye and use software like ptlens.
04-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Maybe wait 6 months: the going price of a used 10-20mm Sigmas will probably drop as owners purchase the new 8-16mm and offload the 10-20mm.
If you're in a hurry, your most economical option is probably to buy a cheap fixed fisheye and use software like ptlens.
Any idea when that 8-16 is going to be available?

04-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Any idea when that 8-16 is going to be available?
I havn't seen any dates, sorry, but apparently there are Amazon preorders being placed now.
04-20-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

I havn't seen any dates, sorry, but apparently there are Amazon preorders being placed now.
I'm going to pull the trigger on something on April 30 (payday), but just can't make up my mind. It's a toss-up between the Sigma 10-20 and DA 10-17, for the fisheye.

I might wind up taking another shot at an 85 Tak, and make an ultra-wide decision in a month or so.
04-20-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I only see prices posted for Canon and Sigma versions. Pentaxors may have to wait a bit longer.

04-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I've pretty much filled out my lens collection, with the exception of a wide angle lens. My widest is 35mm (Super-Takumar 35mm f2.0 and Pentax-A 35-105mm f3.5). I'd like something along the lines of 10-20mm. Ideally it'd be manual focus, fast, under $300, rectilinear and has low distortion. I don't think any lenses in the review section fits under those criteria so I'm open to suggestions....
That's a hard search for sure. What comes to my mind: Pentax 20/2.8 in its various incarnations (A or FA). The old 15mm is way over your price limit. THere has been a SOligor 20mm lens, which shouldn't betoo expensive, but I don't know the specifics.

YOur cheapest options are the various 24mm lenses, which give you a clearly wider view than a 35mm lens. The Kiron 24/2.0 fits your needs as would be its Vivitar equivalent. Both are available in Pentax A mount, so you can use all features of your camera except AF.

Ben
04-20-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the OP, and his request for a MF wide angle, it is hard to make any recommendations below 20mm.

Virtually all MF wide angle lenses in that range gop for extreme prices,

As an example there is a 15mm K mount listed right now on EBAY for more than $800.

There are a few at 19-20mm that go in the $300-400 range typically.

24mm and 28 mm lenses are much more common and there are F2.0 versions available for 200-400 depending on pentax vs third party lenses, plus a lot at f2.5 and 2.8

I too am looking to go below 24mm for my lens collection, but so far the only thing that I found, which I liked for the price is the Samyang (AKA bower, vivitar, pro-optic, et.al) 8mm. I bought this lens a while back (KA mount) and it is a lot of fun and quite useful for some close work, and archetecture, but not as good for general photography as a rectalinear lens.

Theree may be some Full Frame zooms around that go from 18-20mm at the wide end to 35-50 at the long end, relatively cheap, but no MF
04-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

I have the the 24 Vivitar, and although I've only shot with it for it like 10 minutes, I really like what I see.

Examples here, and the differing sky intensity is through a polarizer not properly rotated. See 100% crop too.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #11

I've seen the Sigma 15-30 EX f/3.5-4.5 go for under $300 used. It's AF, but if memory serves has a long enough focus ring throw to make MF workable (haven't used it in a while, since picking up my FA 20-35). Dunno if it's fast enough for you. There aren't a lot of ultrawide fast options, much less < $300. Anyway, might be worth checking out if the above has piqued your interest.
04-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thirdofthree Quote
I've seen the Sigma 15-30 EX f/3.5-4.5 go for under $300 used. It's AF, but if memory serves has a long enough focus ring throw to make MF workable (haven't used it in a while, since picking up my FA 20-35). Dunno if it's fast enough for you. There aren't a lot of ultrawide fast options, much less < $300. Anyway, might be worth checking out if the above has piqued your interest.
The Sigma 15-30 is a very nice lens, though very big. It doesn't quite the TO's search for a "fast" lens, but in a wide-angle lens the usefulness of the last half f-stop is dabateable.

Ben
04-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Virtually all MF wide angle lenses in that range gop for extreme prices,
I absolutely refuse to use AF lenses. But I also refuse to use MF lenses that are more expensive than the equivalent AF lenses. It's even worse when the AF version has BETTER image quality. I'm not going to spend $900 on a wide angle MF lens with questionable IQ when there are FA limiteds to be had for that money.

I guess RioRico was right in saying that those under 20mm wide angle lenses weren't really needed in the pre APS-C days.

24mm is getting close but there's actually a pretty big difference between under 20mm and 24mm. I really miss the 18mm end of my kit lens to be honest. I took a lot of great photos on that end that I haven't been able to reproduce since switching over to my 50mm prime lenses.

The only issue with AF wide angles is that most are made for crop sensors. I'm really holding out for the day when Pentax switches to FF. Dream on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
DA 10-17, for the fisheye.
It drives me nuts that you're going to spend serious money on a fish eye when you don't have an equivalent rectilinear lens already. It's like buying a Segway instead of a bicycle to get to work everyday.

I like your shots of construction workers, it's hot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The Sigma 15-30 is a very nice lens, though very big. It doesn't quite the TO's search for a "fast" lens, but in a wide-angle lens the usefulness of the last half f-stop is dabateable.
Ben
You're absolutely right. When I said fast, I meant about 3.5-4.0. Wide angle lenses don't need extremely fast shutter speeds. I think you can get away with 1/40-1/50 handheld in most situations. With the K-x, that should be easily done.

My only concern is that the viewfinder is darker during MF thanks to the smaller aperture.
04-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
That's a hard search for sure. What comes to my mind: Pentax 20/2.8 in its various incarnations (A or FA). The old 15mm is way over your price limit.
Ben
Unfortunately, those are out of his price range, too. The FA fetches $600+ these days with the A only $100 or so behind it. I've been wanting one for film, but at the price of a used DA 12-24mm, its a no-go.
04-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
It drives me nuts that you're going to spend serious money on a fish eye when you don't have an equivalent rectilinear lens already. It's like buying a Segway instead of a bicycle to get to work everyday.
I like your shots of construction workers, it's hot.
You're probably right. Plus, I can get the Sigma online at Wal-Mart with a 10% discount.

And now that I look at my photo, it doesn't look sharp. I think the 100% crop is okay, but not the reduced image.
Closed Thread