Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
using a simple Tele-Converter with Shake Reduction

A hint about using some types of simple tele-converters....

I bought one on Ebay for $25: Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter 2X-22. The seller supplied nothing but a photo, but since I knew the name Vivitar I gave it a shot. I wanted to double my Sigma 71-210 manual focus purchased in my K1000 days.

I'm not sure where the 'Automatic' comes from, it passes nothing through except the mechanical aperture. What had me worried is the menu for Shake Reduction was greyed out. I tried to "fake" the camera, powered on with the Sigma only, set shake to 400, verified the shake menu item, and added the doubler. Shake menu vanished as soon as the lens was removed.

I had almost resigned myself to 420mm without S.R. when I re-read the S.R. section of the manual. There is a custom setup option called, "Fl with S lens" that must be enabled. Now there is a cryptic name for you! The "S" is for Screw mount lenses and with my tele-converter the camera does not see any lens installed which happens to be what a Screw lens would look like if I ever owned one.

I don't have anything worthy of posting but I did get some 420 mm FL shots today without S.R. that look promising. Now that I know the trick my next attempt should be better.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 07-22-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo
07-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kewl! I'm going to look to see if the K10D has that... but it doesn't sound familiar.

I was turning on the camera with only the TC to 'force' the menu to show. Then put the lens on. But yes, it seems as if that might get overriden anyway when I put the lens back on, so not sure it's worth anything.

I think in my case with the Bower 2x retaining AF, even if the K10D has that option, it may not work. Giving it a try tho. Thanx for sharing.