Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA Lens data and EXIF

Pardon me if this has been discussed elsewhere (like just about everything else), but I have noticed a difficulty as I go back and try to find photos for various lens threads. Pentax lenses, especially zooms, seem to be erratic about identificaton in the EXIF files. The DA17-70 is never named at all in the EXIF for K10d or K20d shots. The kit lens comes up pretty consistently, but will skip being named in a shot or two in a sequence when I know the same lens was used. Is this a lens issue or a body issue or just my issue?

04-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Pardon me if this has been discussed elsewhere (like just about everything else), but I have noticed a difficulty as I go back and try to find photos for various lens threads. Pentax lenses, especially zooms, seem to be erratic about identificaton in the EXIF files. The DA17-70 is never named at all in the EXIF for K10d or K20d shots. The kit lens comes up pretty consistently, but will skip being named in a shot or two in a sequence when I know the same lens was used. Is this a lens issue or a body issue or just my issue?
If you are talking about scanning your hard drive or storage device for a photo, I think it depends on what you are using to look. I would Love to use Bridge (Photoshop CSx) for that purpose but for some reason, Adobe does not recognize my DA*55 and I recently noticed, the DA15 Ltd. I can search a focal length but that requires Knowing the FL. In the case of a zoom, it does become a little more difficult. I've also noticed that with Some lenses, even on the K7, the kens ID is different than the actual lens but that's usually with third party lenses. With the K7 however, using PhotoMe, I find that all of my Pentax lenses are correctly ID'd and it is the software used in the search or info display (like Bridge) that is incorrect.

Neither the 15 or 55 were ever used on my K20d and haven't been used on the K10d yet (it's still at FW1.10), but the lenses that were, again, Pentax, were correctly identified in PhotoMe.

04-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If you are talking about scanning your hard drive or storage device for a photo, I think it depends on what you are using to look. I would Love to use Bridge (Photoshop CSx) for that purpose but for some reason, Adobe does not recognize my DA*55 and I recently noticed, the DA15 Ltd. I can search a focal length but that requires Knowing the FL. In the case of a zoom, it does become a little more difficult. I've also noticed that with Some lenses, even on the K7, the kens ID is different than the actual lens but that's usually with third party lenses. With the K7 however, using PhotoMe, I find that all of my Pentax lenses are correctly ID'd and it is the software used in the search or info display (like Bridge) that is incorrect.

Neither the 15 or 55 were ever used on my K20d and haven't been used on the K10d yet (it's still at FW1.10), but the lenses that were, again, Pentax, were correctly identified in PhotoMe.

I don't find the lens ID listed in Windows Vista's properties/details for the file for the lenses with which I am having a problem, so I'm not so sure it is Adobe's fault. I haven't tried Photome.
04-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I don't find the lens ID listed in Windows Vista's properties/details for the file for the lenses with which I am having a problem, so I'm not so sure it is Adobe's fault. I haven't tried Photome.
I'm using windows 7 and skipped Vista but I've never tried it with the Windows Explorer. I'll have to check it out though I doubt my result is going to be different from yours.

04-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Turns out I lied. Not intentionally though. Actually I'm unable to make rhyme or reason of it. PhotoMe does not ID some of my DA type lenses bought after 2008. The DA15, the DFA 100mm f2.8, and a few others are not in the data base. It does give a Lens ID but calls it a DA or DA* type lens. For the DFA100, this is what PhotoMe reports:

Unknown DA or DA* lens (Id: 7 58)

Photoshop doesn't recognize it either. It gives the correct focal length and aperture but no named lens ID. The Properties tab from Windows, just shows blank spaces where Any lens ID should be. I can add it but it isn't there on it's own. I'm using firmware in the camera that Should have this lens in the list.

I think some databases need updating... Maybe there's one out there somewhere.

04-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The definition of "lie" is to intentionally misstate, so you didn't lie.

The DA17-70 was already out for some time at the last firmware update for the K20d. I wonder what gives. Even more curious is the behavior with the original 18-55, where it will correctly register 20 times, then skip a shot or two and register correctly again.
04-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The firmware in the camera doens't enter into it. All the camera does is store the number reported by the lens. It's up to the software - PhotoMe, or whatever - to interpret that number and turn it into a name. So if PhotoMe doesn't know your lens, there's nothing your camera can do about it. It's PhotoMe that needs an update, not the camera.

04-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The firmware in the camera doens't enter into it. All the camera does is store the number reported by the lens. It's up to the software - PhotoMe, or whatever - to interpret that number and turn it into a name. So if PhotoMe doesn't know your lens, there's nothing your camera can do about it. It's PhotoMe that needs an update, not the camera.
That is interesting. Do you know if there is some way to find out if the camera is actually reporting the number?
04-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The screen shots I've seen from PhotoMe always show the number. I assume ExifTool would as well.
04-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The screen shots I've seen from PhotoMe always show the number. I assume ExifTool would as well.
For future info, I downloaded both of those tools. The version of PhotoMe I installed does not show the lens number, but EXIFtool will. It will be interesting to use these tools on the frames where the lens was one known to CS3, i.e. displayed for other photos from this lens, but omitted on others.