Something else 1939.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #31
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ember. Quote
50mm isnt for portrait, if you are using 50mm lense to make a portraite, you must shoot pretty close, even to close, your model just will feel uncomfortable!
135mm, on crop, is already very good solution, in my opinion!
So maybe take that 85mm
50 on APSC has the equal view of 75 on FF. which is suspiciously lose to 77 (hang on, isn't 77 one of the most raved portrait lenses even from film days?)
True, it's tad on shorter side but definitely not short enough to be too close IMO.
55 is perfect length for portraits on didgital. Very versatile. I was finding it still bit short at times so I got myself 85 now, let's see how that one will do for me

but as others said it all depends on model, available space and artists point of view. Some are happy with DA*50-135 for example, I had hard time getting what I wanted from it.....

best thing (sadly) is trial and error. One should try some glass and analyze the pics and see how achieved results compare to his artistic vision and then choose lens that woul/did get the best results. Reading on the matter can be as confusing as it can be helpfull.....
1000 photogs may result in 1000 opinions...

04-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #32
Site Supporter

For portraits, the DA 70: it works for me and gets my vote in the poll.

But . . . shooting people indoors, you might very well want something wider. The DA 21, as someone mentioned, would be a good bet, I'd think. I don't own one, and have never used one, but if my pockets were deeper, I might.

Other ideas . . . if you can find a used 24 or 28 that's AF, you'd probably find it useful. And I've noticed a couple 35/2s in the marketplace, too.

(I also like my K17/4, M28/3.5 and M50/1.4 or 1.7 inside, but they wouldn't work for you.)

When I shot film at indoor parties, I'd usually rely on three Nikkors: my 20/3.5, 35/2, and 50/1.4.

As at least one poster mentioned, even if the scene's lit well, the shallower DOF from faster lenses can help.

Good luck!
04-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ember. Quote
50mm isnt for portrait, if you are using 50mm lense to make a portraite, you must shoot pretty close
For film, 100 is/was the optimum FL, so with the field of view for these sensors, the equivalent is now 75.

Add to that the resolution you're shooting at, what you're going to finally do with the file, and you don't have to get that close. But granted, to see what you're getting via the viewfinder, longer is better.

I'm just saying that the final product, technically, isn't all that different.
04-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
Sharper at f1.4 wasn't the deciding factor for me voting for the DA*. I find the rendering of the bokeh, especially highlight bokeh to be far preferable on the DA* vs the Sigma
True in that bokeh is a very subjective aspect, and a bokeh that the photographer doesn't like can ruin an otherwise fabulous lens. However on the specific Sigma vs DA* point, I think reliability has to be thrown into the mix too: Pentax's SDM simply isn't trustworthy, and the DA* only comes with a 1-year warranty. The Sigma, on the other hand, is reliable IF you can get one that works in the first place (but hey, that's the store's problem/expense not mine!) and comes with a 3-year warranty.

05-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
50 on APSC has the equal view of 75 on FF. which is suspiciously lose to 77 (hang on, isn't 77 one of the most raved portrait lenses even from film days?)
True, it's tad on shorter side but definitely not short enough to be too close IMO.
55 is perfect length for portraits on didgital. Very versatile. I was finding it still bit short at times so I got myself 85 now, let's see how that one will do for me

but as others said it all depends on model, available space and artists point of view. Some are happy with DA*50-135 for example, I had hard time getting what I wanted from it.....

best thing (sadly) is trial and error. One should try some glass and analyze the pics and see how achieved results compare to his artistic vision and then choose lens that woul/did get the best results. Reading on the matter can be as confusing as it can be helpfull.....
1000 photogs may result in 1000 opinions...
Thinking about what Axl said, I have some of my best shots from my SMC-M 50 1.4 :-P!

So from what I understand of Axl's post, one should indulge in one's LBA to find the best "personal combination of lenses" I like the sound of that!

My personal lenses for portraits are Promaster 7 28mm F2.8, SMC-M 50 f1.4 and 1.7, and my FA 77mm f1.8