Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sigma to continue with Sigma 70-200mm EX DG Macro?

Recently ordered a SIGMA 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG Macro Lens for Pentax - it is on Sigma's obsolecence (discontinued) list to be replaced by something with image stabalization - the rep I purchased from said that the one he had on the shelf was broken, but had another on order and that Sigma was likely going to keep manufacturing the lens due to recent demand and the large price difference between it and the new one with IS - anybody else talking about this?

04-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've only seen that on B&H and Adorama it's listed as discontinued. I rented one about a week ago for a performance shoot and it's a really nice lens. It WAS on my to-buy list for when tax returns come but not I'm concerned I won't be able to find one. The new one is out of reach for me price-wise.

The new one is on Sigma's website for a substantially higher price than the old one. Sigh.
04-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
The new one is on Sigma's website for a substantially higher price than the old one. Sigh.
I believe that it's $800 - 1000 price deference, but I may be wrong
It's a lens that I'd love to get my hands on, but it aint happening any day soon
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

You know I thought I saw a price on the website yesterday for the new lens and just went back to check, and not it's not there. But I thought I saw that it was about $400 more. But maybe I'm imagining things. I cannot even fathom $800-1000 more. That's insane.

04-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The lens is listed as discontinued on sigma's website - Lens Chart for Recently Discontinued Lenses | sigmaphoto.com
From the rep I talked with it sounded like the new one was 800 more, so inline with previous comments - no price listed on their official site.
04-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L is just over a thousand, and Sigma usually has great prices on their lens when it comes to comparing them to how much their Canon counterparts cost. Looks like that has changed with this lens though.
04-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

They can charge that high of a price at their own peril. Especially in the Pentax mount, where we don't need the in-lens stabilization, if I am in the market for a 70-200, I'll look right past their new model at that kind of price tag and go right for the Tamron (or the older Sigma if still available) at $750 or less.
04-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Keep in mind Sigma's site has always had prices significantly higher than street price.

So if the price difference between Sigma's site for the new lens and "street price" for the old was $800, actual street price premium may be FAR less, unless you can compare MSRPs for both.

04-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

To start with, here's where I'm getting the new price from.

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Wow, the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L is just over a thousand, and Sigma usually has great prices on their lens when it comes to comparing them to how much their Canon counterparts cost. Looks like that has changed with this lens though.
You've got to remember that Sigma has changed the last couple of years. They're no longer building inferior glass, take a look at their 50mm f1.4. It beats everything else, with the possible exception of the Zeiss. They're charging considerably more than anyone else and getting it for a good reason.

The 70-200mm crowd usually has the money, and expects the best. If their optics with the new 70-200 is that much better than the others people will buy it.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
They can charge that high of a price at their own peril. Especially in the Pentax mount, where we don't need the in-lens stabilization, if I am in the market for a 70-200, I'll look right past their new model at that kind of price tag and go right for the Tamron (or the older Sigma if still available) at $750 or less.
That's a point with the Pentax and Sony cameras.... until you realize that both stabilization systems working together is giving people better images.
So, again, the people with the $ will buy it.

When they introduced the last version, around a year ago several people complained saying it wasn't as good as the previous version.
So I guess that Sigma decided to give people what they were asking for.
04-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I thin Sigma only wants to manufacture a single line of image stabilized lenses. Cheaper for them and they make more money off Pentax and Sony users. I think it will probably improve images on the long lenses. For shorter zooms like the 17-70, it's probably a waste of money.
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ive notice Sigma is stepping up with their lenses.
havent heard much from the Tamron
04-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
havent heard much from the Tamron
Although I've never owned any, Tamron makes some fine affordable lenses.
They seem to be very comfortable where they're at, which is a good thing. It gives people a quality, affordable alternative, to some otherwise unaffordable lenses.