Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
M42 - K-Mount adapters

Ok I did some forum searching and there's lots of threads, but they're mostly older and I don't know if the info is still accurate...since people are making newer things all the time.

From the gist of the older threads...everyone recommends the Genuine Pentax M42 adapter...is this still the case? I'm looking for one since there always seems to be a neverending supply of M42 stuff on Craigslist (and of course with my luck...as soon as I score an adapter it will dry up). The Genuine ones are kinda pricey....someone has them on ebay for $48....while some of the cheaper ones can be had for less than $20 shipped. I mean, after all...aren't they just really milled metal? There aren't any moving parts....or am I mistaken?

So what's the consensus nowadays on these?

If there's an FAQ somewhere on the M42 adapters I'd be glad if someone would point me to it. Thanks!

04-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
after all...aren't they just really milled metal? There aren't any moving parts....or am I mistaken?
All milled metals are created equal. But some are more equal than others.

Get the genuine article. Don't bother with any of the knock-offs. $20 piece of crap is still a piece of crap......
04-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your VCR/alarm clock is still blinking "12:00" get the OEM adapter.

If you have the slightest inclination to understand simple, one-moving-part, mechanical devices and read the instructions and/or advice offered on-line any of the adapters will work just fine.

I have four of the non-infinity focusing 'top-hat' adapters (two are now modified to focus to infinity), three non-OEM clones, and two OEM adapters. Two M42 lenses have been modified (very simply) to latch without the flange/notch (which is why that version was designed as it is -- not to befuddle the mechanically inept.

They ALL install, remove and perform exactly as the mechanical design intended.

Each type has advantages and disadvantages. Economy being one advantage.

YMMV.

Sorry, guys, I've just seen too much negativity about rip-off M42 adapters that work exactly as designed, convenience notwithstanding. If anyone wants to send me their "in-operative" adapters I'd be happy to pay the postage.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 04-20-2010 at 07:15 PM.
04-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the only two things you have to worry about non-genuine mount adapters are first, the mount won't fit, and secondly, the locking mechanism is completely crap. it would get stucked in your camera mount unless you first unscrew it off before putting it on your camera. I dont understand why they still have to put such a useless crap that would eventually get sutcked. anyway, I think some 3rd party mount adapter makers learned their lesson. they removed the problematic locking metal and even added a locking pin hole for the lens if ever you are going to permanently convert your M42 to a Kmount lens.

04-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have certainly had a good experience with using a non genuine adaptor (around the $20 figure). No problems mounting or focus on mine.
On mine I unscrewed the latching spring thing because have a few K mount lense and unscrewing lense before removing adaptor from camera each time is a big pain. Although the adaptor does not latch, its reasonably firm and so not likely to come out on its own.
Some adaptors now allow adaptor to latch but still be removed with the lense which is even better.
04-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I noticed there are both infinity and non-infinity focus knock off rings from China, so I ordered one of the infinity types on eBay to see if they really are as crappy as described.
$7.70 shipped to USA, so no big loss if it didn't work.
It comes with a special key to release the latch which concerned me as i prefer to use a thumbnail to unlock the Pentax adapters.

anyway, the ring came and it works very well and yes infinity focus is no issue at all. it does feel like the threads are a little gritty, not as nice as the official model.

i find the latch to not be very necessary since this knock off adaptor seems to allow the lens to press tighter to the camera mount and i don't see backing off the lens as an issue. thus, i will probably remove the little metal catch since it does not release as easily as the Pentax spring.

conclusion - WELL worth the money and i will probably order 3 more.
04-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

the ring on the right is the Chinese knockoff.

04-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

I got a knock off too for economy reasons and my only gripe is that it doesn't line up the lens so that the "top" of the lens is pointed towards the grip or shutter button but I hear the genuine ones do this too.

Another thing, the latch is somewhat useful, the tool I got helps to press the tab in and aid in removal but it's merely a piece of spring steel cut and bent so it has sharp edges that dig into your mount ring on the camera. I tested it with a lens and it left a tiny mark on my mount ring so I took it off. It does feel a little dangerous that when I go to turn the aperture ring to M or A it threatens to unscrew and fall so I have to be a bit careful.

Other than that though it all works fine. I really can't imagine the genuine having any particular improvements.
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asudef Quote
I got a knock off too for economy reasons and my only gripe is that it doesn't line up the lens so that the "top" of the lens is pointed towards the grip or shutter button but I hear the genuine ones do this too.

Another thing, the latch is somewhat useful, the tool I got helps to press the tab in and aid in removal but it's merely a piece of spring steel cut and bent so it has sharp edges that dig into your mount ring on the camera. I tested it with a lens and it left a tiny mark on my mount ring so I took it off. It does feel a little dangerous that when I go to turn the aperture ring to M or A it threatens to unscrew and fall so I have to be a bit careful.

Other than that though it all works fine. I really can't imagine the genuine having any particular improvements.
I dont get what you meant about line up the top of the lens towards the grip and shutter. what do you exactly meant by that?

improvements or difference between the genuine and the knock-off, the latch doesn't get screwed or stuck and easy removal of the adapter. I'm not really against the use of the new generic K-mount converted lens adapters with the locking pinhole and without the latch, as long as it fits and focuses at infinity.
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asudef Quote
... that the "top" of the lens is pointed towards the grip or shutter button but I hear the genuine ones do this too.
I have two genuine Pentax ones. Both have that problem, the newer one (bought in january 2010) is 'worse' than the older one (that is over 20 years old if my info is correct).

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I dont get what you meant about line up the top of the lens towards the grip and shutter. what do you exactly meant by that?
What Asudef means is that the line that the marker for the focusing distance on the lens is not at the 12 o'clock position.

Last edited by sterretje; 04-22-2010 at 11:00 PM.
04-23-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I have two genuine Pentax ones. Both have that problem, the newer one (bought in january 2010) is 'worse' than the older one (that is over 20 years old if my info is correct).

What Asudef means is that the line that the marker for the focusing distance on the lens is not at the 12 o'clock position.
I don't think it matters.
04-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M42 adapter tricks

If you have a problem with the lens rotating in the camera mount after you remove the latch spring from the adapter apply one to three coats of a hard finger nail polish to the adapter threads and/or the back side of the adapter bayonet flange to build up a better friction-fit -- either acrylic or lacquer works OK.

I intentionally "adjust" my adapters so lenses with aperture rings seat 20-30 degrees off from the normal twelve o'clock position so the flash hood doesn't hide the aperture setting. This can be a bit fiddly but again the finger nail polish often does the trick. Add about 0.1 - 0.2mm to the "top" of the adapter where it mates with the lens base so the thread seats early -- but not so much that it interferes with the bayonet engagement. A very thin rubber band may work too, but don't allow anything to overlap into the space between the base of the lens and the camera mount or it will affect infinity focus.

H2
04-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've got a genuine Pentax one, and a few cheap one's from here -

M42 lenses on Pentax K

which work perfectly well, the quality of manufacture is as good as the Pentax. ( And I am an engineer who has spent time as a quality control manager in a manufacturing environment )

I have no connection with SRB whatsoever, and I admit that whenever these topics come up I do pimp their adaptors, but I do it because I know they are good, and they are way cheaper. That's a bonus in my book.
04-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
I don't think it matters.
It indeed does not matter; that was also not why I posted it
05-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I've got a genuine Pentax one, and a few cheap one's from here -

M42 lenses on Pentax K

which work perfectly well, the quality of manufacture is as good as the Pentax. ( And I am an engineer who has spent time as a quality control manager in a manufacturing environment )

I have no connection with SRB whatsoever, and I admit that whenever these topics come up I do pimp their adaptors, but I do it because I know they are good, and they are way cheaper. That's a bonus in my book.
I personally use one Pentax adapter on one of my dSLR bodies. I do it this way because I have a working collection of vintage m42 bodies. I had a Bower once but the piece of shit got stuck on my camera. I decided buying a $8-10 dollar bower was gambling, given the guy never refunded my money as claimed in the add plus I was out of shipping. For all of the success stories with this things there are problem stories that you rarely hear from the authentic adapter.