Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

best value wide angle or fish eye for *istD ?

Can someone point me to the best value/price for a fisheye or wide angle lens for my *istD . I think that's a k mount? The last quote I got at a photo shop was $500

Dan

04-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, your camera is a K mount.. How wide do you want to go? Manual focus and aperture ok? If so, consider the Russian made Zenitar 16mm f2.8. When I first got this lens I kind of hated it but the more I used it the better I liked it. Less than $200 USD.

If you want to go wider, and AF, the DA14 f2.8 is worth considering but unless you absolutely have to have new, I would consider used. Going back to Manual focus, the Bower/Samyang (sp?)/Vivitar flavor of an 8mm I keep seeing on ebay. Then there are zooms and of course the DA15mm Ltd (more than $500). If you want to consider Pentax Manual lenses in that range, the 17mm f4 is a cult classic (with a price to match), and I do believe they once offered a 16mm as well (with a price that could pay the national debt).

Here are a couple from the Zenitar 16mm..

The three above were taken with an IR modified K20d. THey don't do much to show you color from the lens but do demonstrate the angle of view and overall sharpness of the lens.

Here is one from a Film camera...same lens.

04-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would hunt for the 12-24mm, it may look a little expensive at first glance but the performance is excellent. Look up on Google for reviews and you'll see what I mean.
04-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for the Zenitar, nice little lens. It isn't a "true" fisheye on the pentax digital cameras due to the cropped sensor, but that has never bothered me. In fact I treat it as a plus because with careful framing/cropping I can either minimize or maximze the fisheye distortion. I would say that it's main defect is that it is quite soft wide open. But stopped to at least 3.5 it is decently sharp.

More shots here:DC Architecture with a fish eye lens - saltwater's Photos

NaCl( I lurves my "Z" )H2O

04-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

there are a lot of good options, either a ultra wide angle zoom like the sigma 10-20 or pentax 12-24mm,

For fisheye, while I see others have suggested the 16mm zenitar, I would also offer the 8mm samyang (AKA vivitar, bower, pro-optic et.al.) or the pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom

Personally I have a sigma 10-20 and the ProOptic 8mm F3,5 fisheye.

the reason I went for the 8mm fisheye is that on an ASP-C sensor 16mm is not really wide enough (IMO) to consider as a fisheye.

If you look in the fisheye clyb you will see shots I have posted for times square, looking straight up with a fisheye.
04-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First you should decide which you really want: a rectilinear view (for which you will pay more) or fish-eye. The latter can be "de-fished" as they say, but it makes it more difficult to compose, not knowing what exactly you will get. And it also reduces resolution and might introduce other distortions you never knew were there. At least with a rectilinear you can see all the distortions (real or perceptual) through the viewfinder.
04-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Since this question is about lenses, not cameras, I am moving it to the correct forum.
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went with the Zenitar for wide angle needs

I went with a used Zenitar for my wide angle needs.
Really has been fun and on a film body I get the true fisheye effect.

04-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the help!

I'll have to check out the Zenitar 16mm f2.8 !

Dan
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would look at the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 8mm fisheye if I were you. It is a very good lens, and priced under $300 U.S. Compared to the Zenitar, it is obviously wider, and it has the "A" setting, which means that your camera can meter the lens automatically, instead of using manual mode and stopping down. This is a big convenience for me.

Here's a link at overstock.com.

Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Ultra Wide Aspherical Fisheye Lens for Pentax | Overstock.com
04-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #11

Original Poster
In the review below this guy beat up the zenitar. Did any of you have the same problems , or was his lens defective? Are all of these consistently the same? How many are really concerned with objects way off in the background when they take wide angle shots?

Review of the Zenitar 16mm 2.8

Dan
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Seems pretty clear from his description that it was defective, and he fixed it himself.
04-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by techristian Quote
In the review below this guy beat up the zenitar. Did any of you have the same problems , or was his lens defective? Are all of these consistently the same? How many are really concerned with objects way off in the background when they take wide angle shots?
Review of the Zenitar 16mm 2.8

Dan
I haven't read of any other people with a crooked lens hood, but some people have had to adjust their lens for infinity focus. It's not that hard, I did one and one was fine as-is. At least one person here had a mounting issue with his lens. I don't think anyone will claim that Russian QC is really great.

When working, the lens is pretty good and I like the effect. It barely requires focusing in decent light. You can set it on f8 and its DOF is massive. I am not sure it's worth current prices - you can buy some pretty useful stuff for $200. It was a better deal at $135.
04-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I had the zenitar for a while and sold it. i like the 8mm rokinon (samyang,bower,etc) much better