Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen the pics from Ltd lenses... Taking one is another story...

I'm sure all of us have seen pics from FA Limited lenses. I have seen quite a few and they just look amazing. I started wondering what it would feel like to actually take a picture like that. I thought, maybe one day I will own the 77 ltd. I had originally been saving money for DA 70 ltd. I read countless articles on the comparison, from sharpness to focusing speed, to overall cost and enjoyment. I made up my mind, I was going to go the more cost efficient route and acquire the DA 70 Ltd. It's just as good technically, minus a few stops, but that was compensated by focusing speed, weight and overall size. Not to mention the money saved!

That all changed when I saw Barbosas's ad in the marketplace. It was up the street (practically, it's all in the EU now :-P) So I took the plunge and bought the FA 77 ltd! It came on Monday originally but was too busy in class to go pick it up. I did so today...

I went out to the car to open the package, and boy was it secure :-). After a minute of carefully removing the packaging, there is was, the legendary FA 77 Limited. I really never thought that I would own one. It's weight was on par with the only A lens I have, a Promaster 7 copy of the Sigma Miniwide II.

I put it on my K100D Super (yes, I know the the lens is more then twice the cost of my camera :-P) and I try to see if the focus works... I half press my shutter and nothing happens! Wait a sec, I have my camera on MF to take pics on my M and A lenses! So I slide the switch and half press the shutter again, the lens goes "Whir!" and I sigh with relief.

I headed over to my g/f's work to see how she's doing and manage to get a few snapshots of her before she has to continue working :-). The first photo I took of her, I reviewed it, and my heart skipped a beat! Looking at the little 2+ inch screen, the image looks amazing. My SMC 50 f1.4 did that once before, in the two or so months I've had my K100D Super. But not on the first shot! I took me hundreds of shots with practicing with the lens for me to get that shot. The FA 77 did it on the first one. I proceeded to take 5 more candid photos. Looking at the results, they looked more like portraits to me! I went back to my friends place and I took a few photos of my cat, he was not interested in being my subject at all. He wanted me to be his groomer more than his photographer. But I did end up with a nice shot of him that really brings out his color and coat details. I tried really hard before to capture the details with my Gx-20 with my Tamron 17-50 f2.8, but they always seem to lack just a little detail. After that little photo and play session, I found myself in a park and just took some shots of different weird sculptures and they also didn't require too much effort or thought, I picked up my camera, aimed, composed and took the photo. It's been a while where I truly enjoyed my fruits of labor. Since I started to get technical with photography, I have been dealing with numbers and possibilities, and trying to get the best shot adjusting different parameters. Shutter, aperture, iso, never feeling like I get it right.

I know that the FA 77 Limited doesn't make me a better photographer, that's like saying that I only took better photos with my Samsung Gx-20 and that my output on my K100D is crap. Granted I wish my Gx-20 wasn't stolen, but I can't do anything about it. My K100D is more than enough camera for me :-). As several members have stated before me, the FA 77 just has that magical coating and lenses that make photography just plain fun and exciting! Here are three pics from today:

Sorry guys for the ultra long post! I just really am utterly impressed with the FA 77 Limited.

04-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Forum Member

You're making me jealous, what a wonderful piece of glass!
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TriCon Quote
You're making me jealous, what a wonderful piece of glass!
Sorry that is not my intention at all, but rather to state that it really is one beautiful lens that can really pull off some magic. Save up for one, I had to save up for mine too!

I was originally going to get a DA 40 and the DA 70, but now I will just forgo the DA 40 for the time being until funds clear up! Plus I can use the FA 77 on my Super Program :-)