Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
. . .

P.S. Maybe I can just get a big bag of pixie dust and put it on the Sigma???
I've been trying to figure that out. I have had a hard time trying to catch those Pixies. Those things are so tricky.

04-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The colors on the Sigma are absolutely beautiful, not to mention the color and the contrast from it. Seriously, just get this lens, you'll absolutely love it and you'll never want to get rid of it. I totally regret that I got rid of mine every single day, but I couldn't afford keeping it at the time, but if I ever get another one it's never going to leave my sight again after that.
04-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then I will definitely put it on my list. Alright, so I need to get the old one with the screwdrive and no OS correct? As it has slightly better IQ and is more reliable from what has been said...
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Then I will definitely put it on my list. Alright, so I need to get the old one with the screwdrive and no OS correct? As it has slightly better IQ and is more reliable from what has been said...
The original one has so many things on the new one, it's lighter, you don't need the OS since you have Shake Reduction and can't use them both at the same time, it's a lot cheaper because of the new one, and it's just incredibly sharp. Just look at my photos, I mean come on how can you say no after seeing my photos?

04-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol alright, I will have to search for one then. Any idea where to find a new one that hasn't sold out yet? Seems like the major retailers have run out by now...
04-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

lol alright, I will have to search for one then. Any idea where to find a new one that hasn't sold out yet? Seems like the major retailers have run out by now...
I've seen them on BH and Adorama, but they're currently out of stock, so I don't know if they will get any more, but I would keep checking them until you can find one. You're probably not going to still find it new though, so I would just look for a used one, especially from somewhere like KEH.com where their bargain grade is better than anyone else's EX grade anyways.
04-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Out of total curiosity, has anyone actually compared shots of the OS HSM version and the old version for IQ and sharpness? If so can you post them here?

04-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also is the HSM really that unreliable? How do those work out of total curiosity? Does it offer any benefits?
04-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma 17-70 is perhaps the ONLY zoom lens I have that I do not want to sell.

Will
04-23-2010, 05:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check www.slrgear.com for tests.

The HSM is not "unreliable" but it IS more prone to failure than screw drive. Because it's more complex. But I would not let that stop you.

Check the marketplace here, a few Siggies turn up now and then. Of course when I was shopping for mine there were none, after I purchased it they started popping up
04-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the DA17-70, and I have been very happy with it. The SDM problem with this lens seems to have been reported mostly if the lens is stored a long time, which does not happen with mine. I like it specifically because it is my only lens with SDM in addition to the quality of the images. I have found the SDM to be a pure joy (I hope fate does not strike for my saying that).

Screw drive is reliable, but noisy. I remember the embarassment of being at an outdoor wedding and having my DA40 AF chirp audibly as the bride was kissed. Out of a sea of P&S cameras that flashed and clicked at that moment, it was the only head-turning chirp. I went home and ordered the DA17-70. I've not disturbed a tender moment since.
04-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

From the next wedding, DA 17-70, 70mm, F:4 in silence:

(Not bad for the reputed weakest FL and aperture for this lens.)

Last edited by GeneV; 04-23-2010 at 06:51 AM.
04-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Only issue I have with my Sigma 17-70 2.8=4.5 (and mine may just be a bad sample) is that it seems a bit soft when focused at infinity.

However, when focusing on anything even remotely nearby, it's an unbelievably sharp lens.
A little update: I did some research, and the AF sometimes has trouble with focusing on faraway objects when at wide angle settings, simply due to everything being in reasonable focus at those zooms. Since the lens focus adjustment is independent of zoom (i.e. you should be able to zoom w/o refocusing), I have found that if I focus on a distant object at 70mm, then zoom out, I get much better results.

This is not needed for anything that is nearby.

Also note that to allow for thermal expansion, this lens CAN focus well beyond infinity, and at wide angles the AF can often lock into this region. (related to my comments above.)

Again, my lens could just be a bad sample. I still love it because when shooting anything other than landscapes and vistas, it performs extremely well.
04-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright well these are good to know. Does anyone have shots taken with the new OS HSM version to look at?
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #30

I have the older nonOS Sigma 17-70 on my k-x.

I shot maybe 10-20 shots on the original 18-55kit before I ran into a used 17-70 on Craigslist. It is a nice lens, I got a lot of 'soft' shots before I learned how to shoot at F8 and center point focus (I'm a newb).

It is quite a bit heavier than the kit. Not sure, but when I zoom occasionally, it isn't very smooth, seems like gears are catching.

If focuses fast (now that i use center point focus). Overall, i'm very happy with the range/performance (i'm still learning).