Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tokina AF 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5

I am eyeing this lens as a wide angle zoom for landscapes, scenics and night shots (long exposures). Would appreciate it if any experience with this lens on a dslr could be shared.

07-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Giving this thread a bump. Anyone know anything about this lens?
07-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a wide angle lens, yes, but it's only ultrawideangle for film. I notice the lenses you have are all from the film era.

DSLRs have a crop factor, or focal length multiplication, of 1.5x. So the 19-35mm will be a 28.5-52.5 - not that great at all.

I'd recommend you get on the lookout for a Pentax DA14 or DA16-45 or DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20 or 12-24. All of these are available new.
07-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, but I am more interested in the IQ, flare resistance etc.. For me and my uses, a 28mm equivalent is wide enough. The lenses you've recommended are all very good, but are also costlier vis-a-vis the tokina.

07-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

FM Reviews - AF 193 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5

What's your budget/what can you get this lens for? There's gotta be something out there with a broader range of application...
07-25-2007, 01:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned and used this lens on a k10D and previously on a PZ-1p. Image quality is very good as is the build. Tight and smooth focus ring with a great feel. Most are not supplied with a hood and I'd recommend adding an after market or original hood if available. There is some flare but with any wider lens that's to be expected. I only sold mine since I got a wider lens and didn't need both. For the money in this focal range it would be tough to fine a better zoom. If money isn't the issue then get the Pentax 16-45. Covers a wider range at a similar speed (constant f4) with excellent optics and better multi coating.
07-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Peter. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. It makes such decisions easier. I agree 100% that the multicoating system of Pentax smc lenses is far better than that of Tokina. I have an FA 50mm f/1.4 and a Tokina SL 28mm f/2.8 and, believe me, I can see the difference, especially in long exposure night shots.

by the way, peter, would you remember how many points does the star formed when shooting light sources at small apertures (f/11...) with the Tokina 19-35 have? I have researched the photo databases in the web and notice that this lens used with, let us say a Nikon body, is different than with a Fuji body. In addition, what do you think of the contrastness of this lens? Thanks a lot!
07-25-2007, 03:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Thanks Peter. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. It makes such decisions easier. I agree 100% that the multicoating system of Pentax smc lenses is far better than that of Tokina. I have an FA 50mm f/1.4 and a Tokina SL 28mm f/2.8 and, believe me, I can see the difference, especially in long exposure night shots.

by the way, peter, would you remember how many points does the star formed when shooting light sources at small apertures (f/11...) with the Tokina 19-35 have? I have researched the photo databases in the web and notice that this lens used with, let us say a Nikon body, is different than with a Fuji body. In addition, what do you think of the contrastness of this lens? Thanks a lot!
There's a question I can't answer. I took a quick look through my shots taken with this lens and there wasn't one with a light source bright enough (vs the background) to tell you how many 'star flares' come off a bright light source. It is a 6 blade aperture and from that I would safely say you would get 5 (that makes 5 'corners' where the blades overlap) 'star flares' off a bright light shot at night but that's an assumption.

As for the contrast of this lens it's better than the 18-55 and marginally better than my Sigma EX 12-24 but not as good as any of my shorter primes like the FA 35mm f2, 43mm Ltd f1.9 or the FA 50mm f1.4. Nice and a better than 'middle of the road' but the SMC glass on the above primes is still much better.

Make sure you get the AF193 version if this is the lens you are going to buy. I've heard that the farmed out the production on a similar lens (same 19-35 range) that was made by Cosina (AF235 II ??) and is not nearly as good a lens.

My only complaint would be that the lens was a little slower at Auto focus on the Pz-1p but good (almost as good as my Pentax primes) on the K10D in low light. Get an after market hood that will fit that is a little 'deeper' than the Tokina version to help cut down flare. Since the lens will be cropped on a DSLR you won't find any vignetting and the original hood would not help at all since it is fairly short.

hope that helps

07-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
There's a question I can't answer. I took a quick look through my shots taken with this lens and there wasn't one with a light source bright enough (vs the background) to tell you how many 'star flares' come off a bright light source. It is a 6 blade aperture and from that I would safely say you would get 5 (that makes 5 'corners' where the blades overlap) 'star flares' off a bright light shot at night but that's an assumption.

As for the contrast of this lens it's better than the 18-55 and marginally better than my Sigma EX 12-24 but not as good as any of my shorter primes like the FA 35mm f2, 43mm Ltd f1.9 or the FA 50mm f1.4. Nice and a better than 'middle of the road' but the SMC glass on the above primes is still much better.

Make sure you get the AF193 version if this is the lens you are going to buy. I've heard that the farmed out the production on a similar lens (same 19-35 range) that was made by Cosina (AF235 II ??) and is not nearly as good a lens.

My only complaint would be that the lens was a little slower at Auto focus on the Pz-1p but good (almost as good as my Pentax primes) on the K10D in low light. Get an after market hood that will fit that is a little 'deeper' than the Tokina version to help cut down flare. Since the lens will be cropped on a DSLR you won't find any vignetting and the original hood would not help at all since it is fairly short.

hope that helps

Thanks again Peter. Of course I agree with you that nothing beats Pentax primes (especially the 3 that you've mentioned), but your input and opinion I find very valuable. I have done extensive research and have come across reviews (popphoto year 2002) that say good things about this lens, and then there is this lens census by photozone which rates it pretty much below average. but when I checked out some photographs taken by this lens which are posted in PhotoSig, Flickr and PBase, I was blown away by the IQ of the photos. They were sharp, contrasty and did not appear to have major distortion.

As for the slow AF, I really wouldn't be surprised at all. I think it has more to do with the Pentax camera bodies. All my AF lenses (Sigma 24-135 & Pentax FA 50 f/1.4) focus slowly on my DS. I think it has something to do with the internal AF motor being quite underpowered. This was corrected in the K10D. Don't know about the K100D, although I've been told that the internal AF motor in this body has also been improved.

How I'd love to get a Pentax 12-24, Da 21mm ltd, or DA 14mm but their prices are prohibitive! The most reasonably priced Pentax wide angle, the 16-45 is nearly twice the price of the Tokina 19-35mm, not to mention that it's bulkier when at full zoom (the Tokina has an IF and internal zoom mechanism, right?). So if I don't get double or triple the IQ from these lenses, then I might just stick with the Tokina. One has to be practical nowadays.