Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Just about any 50/1.7 is worth $15 is there is nothing wrong with it, and you don't already have one. I mean, just skip a burger or two...

03-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Yeah, got the camera & lens for $27 bucks (came with a case & strap) on ebay. Ebay is one the best place's to get old film lenses for cheap, next to swapmeets.
03-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt $15 is still the price; this thread started about four years ago
03-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I doubt $15 is still the price; this thread started about four years ago
Could be lower now... I've got them for as low as a buck -- how can I resist?

03-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

My general suggestion would be that for the price difference (a few $), multi-coating is worthwhile, even if it might be less than the very best multi-coating. Most 3rd party lenses from the early MC generation seem to have some marking indicating multi-coating, and if you have access to the lens physically (vs. ebay, for example), you can usually determine multicoating by looking at the lens.
03-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an Auto Sears MC 50 1.7 that looks like Sagitta's. Paid 26 dollars for it less than a year ago. I like it a bit better than my M 50 1.7, though the build clearly isn't as good (lots of plastic on mine). Mine looks a lot like my Rikenon 50 1.4 so I'm sure it's made by Ricoh. It even has the same caps (but without Ricoh written on it).
The M 50 1.7 is a bit sharper (both are very sharp), but the Sears renders a bit better to my taste. Both are nice wide open. The Sears is easier to focus, for some reason - when something is in focus in the viewfinder, it becomes almost "3D" to use the old cliché...
Plus the Sears is so small and light, almost a pancake!

Yes I know this is an old thread that was revived... this still might be useful, seeing that earlier in the thread the K-mount Sears lenses were deemed paperweights.

Edit: to me it's worth way more than the 26 dollars I paid for mine... here's a picture taken straight out of camera, K20D at f/1.7. Sharpness looks alright to me. Of course it is sharper stopped down to f/2.8 and even better at f/4 but this isn't bad for f/1.7, I think.

Fixing levels, and adding contrast, saturation and a bit of sharpening in Corel Aftershot Pro:

This is also straight out of the K20D with no PP, only turning into high quality jpg and reducing size, like the first shot. Also wide open at f/1.7.

Yeah I'd say it's worth checking out. My K 55 f/2 is sharper wide open but I like the Sears(Ricoh) colors a bit better, even if PF is not as well controlled.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 03-10-2014 at 03:17 PM.