Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

S.Kelby lenses recommendation

I just got this wek the Digital Photography book bundle. These are great books
Kelby is giving what I believe very good recommendation in regards of lens to choose for different situation.
Is system is simple and I belive can be good for many of us.

For travel (Vacation)
An all in one lense 18-200 f3.5-5.6

Wedding shoot
14-24
50mmm f1.4
70-200mm f2.8
24-70mm f2.8
10.5 mm fish eye

Location Portrait
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8

Landscape
14-24 f2.8

That mean is package for most of the job are
14-24 f2.8
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8

His system seem to make sense. I am sure we will get a lot of discussion about that

04-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have those books too. He seems very biased towards Canon and Nikon and I always feel like he is trying to sell me something else. He has some good tips, but some parts of those books just read like an advertisement.

As for the lenses, I think two lenses breaking up that focal range is better. Better IQ and faster due to the shorter length either lens would have to cover. If you split it at 70, and have an 18-70mm and a 70-200mm or more, you probably wont change to the long one too often (or at least I wouldn't) and you could get better photos with the 17-70mm because it would be faster and have less distortion.

My .02...
04-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
I have those books too. He seems very biased towards Canon and Nikon and I always feel like he is trying to sell me something else. He has some good tips, but some parts of those books just read like an advertisement.
He clearly mention that he use Canon & Nikon but state the advices and tricks are good for any camera. He mention also that Canon & Nikon are the most popular brand and we cannot argues with this

The advice on lense is good for any brands
04-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I just got this wek the Digital Photography book bundle. These are great books
Kelby is giving what I believe very good recommendation in regards of lens to choose for different situation.
Is system is simple and I belive can be good for many of us.

His system seem to make sense. I am sure we will get a lot of discussion about that
You bet your ass we're going to get some discussion out of this travesty. You baited me from the very first line when you mentioned Scott Kelby.

I hope he prefaced his advice by stating that it is for Canon only. I like Scott Kelby, he's actually tolerable compared to Deke Mccelland... but he should stay within the post-production realm.

He's basically giving you a lineup of all Canon L-series zoom glass and telling everyone that it's the best combination regardless of which system you use? Really?

I mean if you boil this down, it basically comes down to:

1) Use a versatile wide angle for landscape. (Really? My 200mm won't work for landscapes?)
2) Use a all-in-one lens for vacations so you don't have to lug around too much. (But I like carrying 20 prime MF lenses made out of metal! That's what photo assistants are for, right?)
3) Use lenses that cover the entire focal range up to 200mm and a fast 50 for wedding. (No! I can capture that once in a lifetime moment with a fast 50 and nothing else!)

Amazing, a complete amateur like me could have pulled that one out.

Scott's advice is also completely useless for Pentax users. I'm not sure if he even knows Pentax still exists.

04-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #5

except about the Canon comment (that I just dont think about) I agree with Hangu.

S.K does really give any incredible or unexpected system recommendation here.
Every beginner would do more or less that.
No much to discuss about
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Kelby for Beginners

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
except about the Canon comment (that I just dont think about) I agree with Hangu.

S.K does really give any incredible or unexpected system recommendation here.
Every beginner would do more or less that.
No much to discuss about
I'd amend that to indicate that:

* Anyone with a year or two of shooting and thought could come up with this.

* The books are aimed at those who do not yet have that background.

* He clearly writes that these tips (he claims no more than that) are intended to be starting points for beginners - intended to provide immediate help, spur users' exploration, and trigger deeper reading on the background and theory. No more than that.

We will all eventually decide for ourselves what's right based on our opportunities, styles, and skills.

Obviously, I've found a lot of his work helpful. For a neophyte. I am at a point now where I'm re-reading the books. I'm still learning but now I'm seeing where a particular tip or thought wouldn't work well for me and where I like his suggestions and really need to dig deeper into those subjects elsewhere.

I will note, though, that his writing about weddings and similar events gets me nervous. While everyone who shoots weddings has to start with their first, I suspect that their photographic understanding and skill set should be well beyond this series of books before they tackle a wedding alone.

I wish he'd place more emphasis on the idea his readers can use this info to have fun and informally add to the photo inventory of a wedding but should leave the primary work to the professionals and experienced enthusiasts.
04-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I'd amend that to indicate that:

* He clearly writes that these tips (he claims no more than that) are intended to be starting points for beginners - intended to provide immediate help, spur users' exploration, and trigger deeper reading on the background and theory. No more than that.

I will note, though, that his writing about weddings and similar events gets me nervous. While everyone who shoots weddings has to start with their first, I suspect that their photographic understanding and skill set should be well beyond this series of books before they tackle a wedding alone.
Really? You think telling beginners to buy a series of $1000+ L series glass is good advice and "immediate help"? How does buying an L glass "spur" user's exploration when they're already at the top of the line and probably broke from buying the L glass?

He's basically enforcing the ridiculous idea that buying a set of L series glass validates you as a pro photographer. With a 24-70mm L f2.8, you can shoot weddings and other high profile events! I guess that appeals to the folks who have big egos and wallets to match.

That's absolutely indefensible. He's selling a load of crap and amazingly, people are hanging on to every word.

QuoteQuote:
* Anyone with a year or two of shooting and thought could come up with this.
Do you seriously need 1-2 years and a lot of thought to realize hey... the 18mm end of my kit lens is better for landscape than the 55mm end of it...? I'm curious, did anyone else need a book to tell them that?
04-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hangu
Is not telling to buy $1000 glass. He make recommendation on the lens size. After we make the choice on brand and price.
We have member here who also make recommendation to beginner to big clostly glass

Sorry but I like the book. If you do not like it , that youras you seem to be an expert. I am not and I am happy that I get get advice. And again advice are good for any brand of camera.

04-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is not telling to buy $1000 glass.
Yes, he is.

He make recommendation on the lens size.
No, he's not. He's making recommendations on distinctive products that are complete overkill for the vast majority of photographers. Nobody who needs to read his book is going to NEED those lenses.

We have member here who also make recommendation to beginner to big clostly glass
That's an unfair comparison--to Scott that is. Members here make recommendations based on the beginner's situation, budget and equipment. They're also not paid for their advice. Scott's recommending total beginners to buy $1000+ zoom glass based on... oh, I don't know, his fat endorsement checks from Canon/Nikon?

Furthermore, just about any schmuck on this forum is going to give much better advice.

Sorry but I like the book. If you do not like it , that youras you seem to be an expert. I am not and I am happy that I get get advice. And again advice are good for any brand of camera.
His advice is dangerous for any Canon/Nikon users but fortunately useless outside of that circle. Some of the best Pentax lenses are LTD primes, which Scott seems to be completely ignorant of.

You're going to get so much better advice out of this forum in one day than you ever will out all his books.
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
You're going to get so much better advice out of this forum in one day than you ever will out all his books.
Even though I like Kelby's books and believes he does a good job, this time it is obvious he hasn't really thought things through. He suggests the 14-24 and the 10.5 for weddings? Never mind whether you really want to take portraits (group or otherwise) with an UWA lens; these are lens for different cameras. The 14-24 is a very expensive FF lens; the 10.5 is a less expensive (but still pricey) DX lens. So what kind of camera are you supposed to use these lens on, APS-C or FF? If it's APS-C, why is he recommending the $2000 14-24, when for a quarter of that price you could get the Tokina 12-24? For that matter, the Tokina 10-17 is less pricey than the 10.5, and surely more useful if you actually need a fisheye for a wedding!
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I have to say that when Scott Kelby talks, a lot of people listen. I think that he does a decent job of explaining things to a basic level and you can certainly adapt his advice to the Pentax line up (roughly -- obviously there is no full frame in Pentax, at least yet). At the same time, I think that he has forgotten what a hobbyist photographer (who are the main folks reading his books) can really spend on a lens or two. Buying off brand lenses is the classic way to stretch your glass dollar a little farther (as is buying used).
04-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeah I have found some of his actual photo taking tips helpful (such as the stuff on using a timer to get slightly sharper images on a tripod, suggestions on what to shoot, etc.) They have expanded my photographic thinking to some extent so I teach myself more and realize more on my own now. I would say the tips are somewhat worth it, however the way he writes, it makes one think that after reading this book you are a pro because you dropped $5,000 on some gear and read his books, when that is in no way the case.

Canon and Nikon are the most popular, but he is also paid by them. If you go to his website, he has links to all the gear he suggests, and I can assure you he gets a percentage of sales that come from people clicking those links the same way this forum does if you order through B&H and Adorama. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, until you start making recommendations of the most expensive equipment just so you get more money when they buy unnecessary equipment. And don't tell me he doesn't recommend unnecessary stuff, what amatuer (the target audience of these books) is going to go out and buy a $500 ball head for a $600 tripod? Not to mention he doesn't even use the ones he recommends in the photos within the book...

His post processing tips are helpful, but not much more than the folks over a the dgrin forums (haven't checked out the PP forum here yet...). Overall the thing that is most annoying is that he makes it seem like you can be a pro by spending lots of money on equipment when in reality you need experience and familiarity with what you're doing. Some of the best pictures can be taken with a decade old prime, and SK seems to not even acknowledge that idea.