Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My first question

Hi folks, this is my first post here. I've been searching all the info threads, but I can't find anywhere that tells me what some of the initials are in the lens descriptions, and specifically - what makes a lens "limited"? I can guess that AF means auto focus, and IF means internal focus, and DA has something to do with digital adapted? But limited? Why is a lens limited?

07-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Cygnet,
because most maufacturers of anything have a range of quality. In Pentax's case the "Limited" series is their top end in the quality stakes and infers a 'limited' or restricted production quantity.

As to whether or not they are actually 'limited' in production is probably only known to Pentax, however, try and find one to buy and you may answer your own question.
Cheers
Grant
07-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I think because they make only hundreds of thousands of them, rather than millions :-)
07-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks

Thanks for the quick answer. So "Limited" to Pentax is like "L" to Canon.

07-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Quote from Ivan Glisin on previous post:
"Digital Auto -- The acronym "A" has been added in the early 80s to indicate "Auto" aperture mode ("A" position on Pentax-A lenses). With a second generation of auto-focus lenses it became "FA" (replacing "F" series), then when they dropped aperture ring it became "FA J". Later on they put back aperture ring and optimized FA lenses for digital bodies (apparently with improved back element coating) naming them "D FA", and finally there came "DA" (for digital only with auto aperture control)".

Or it could possibly also mean Dodgy Acronym or maybe Don't Ask !!

Last edited by Confused; 07-23-2007 at 06:53 PM.
07-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The sites of the first two posts in this thread should help... I wish I'd found it a month earlier myself...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/323-som...resources.html
07-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
Thanks for the quick answer. So "Limited" to Pentax is like "L" to Canon.
Sort of... there's the * line too (as in FA*, DA*, etc) which is the absolute top notch stuff. That sits above the limited line.
10-10-2007, 02:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Quote from Ivan Glisin on previous post:
"Digital Auto -- The acronym "A" has been added in the early 80s to indicate "Auto" aperture mode ("A" position on Pentax-A lenses). With a second generation of auto-focus lenses it became "FA" (replacing "F" series), then when they dropped aperture ring it became "FA J". Later on they put back aperture ring and optimized FA lenses for digital bodies (apparently with improved back element coating) naming them "D FA", and finally there came "DA" (for digital only with auto aperture control)".
this is a great explanation. So that the A lenses mean auto, makes a lot of sense.

I thought that the K and M lenses; maybe couldn’t tell the camera what aperture they were on, since they didn’t have the electronic aperture coupling of the A lenses.

Do you have a link to Ivan Glisin’s previous post ?

10-10-2007, 04:02 AM   #9
TDN
Forum Member

I wrote something about the limiteds here.

There's also general info about Pentax lenses on the main page (click the banner)

Hope I could help.

Tom
10-10-2007, 04:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually, the limiteds and the star lenses sit more side by side. The difference is in the build. The limiteds are all made of metal and have exquisite build quality. The star lenses are of more normal metal/plastic build, but are of the same IQ level as the limiteds.
10-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This site is very good at deciphering all the Pentax lens series.

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page