Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Pentax-A Zoom 35-105mm Varifocal or Parafocal?

Do any of you guys know if the Pentax-A Zoom 1:3.5 35~105mm lens is a Varifocal (Loses focus after zooming/panning) or a Parafocal (keeps focus despite zooming) type of lens?

You'll help out a lot. Thanks!

WriteB

04-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can't say for sure, but if you're asking that question, you probably want that lens.

I have the Canon FD equivalent, all report says it's an Angenieux design. The Pentax has the same rep.

I do not call mine a zoom lens: I name, 'Small Stack Of Primes.'
04-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I've read that they can vary. Mine stays in focus across the zoom range however.

04-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I believe it is varifocal, but I haven't used it in a while, so don't quite me on that. I regardless hold that it's the best MF walkaround zoom, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd also add that if it's as similar a design as it appears, any variation in focus is no more than any last-moment correction in practice.
04-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Agreed that it's a great lens. The issue is I sold it but the buyer (IMHO foolishly) Implied the lens is defective because it doesn't retain focus when you zoom/pan. I thought that was expected behavior. To my knowledge, these type of lenses - particularly macros, were varifocals, but I'd love to know for sure either way.

Thanks again for all the quick responses.
04-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

From what I remember (sold mine more than 2 yrs ago), the focus does change when you zoom, not as much as, say, the Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm, but it does change nonetheless.

04-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup- now I remember clearly. It is most definitely varifocal as 1. it doesn't have a combined focus/zoom ring, and 2. it has a macro mode, and its focal point must change with zoom (if it didn't we'd have one killer of a macro lens!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #9

I have one and definitely varifocal.
In some cases, you may be able to get away without refocusing after zooming, but generally speaking you should refocus.
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is indeed varifocal. I sometimes use the zoom ring to focus (I'm sick in the head).

You sold it? Congratulations, you've just sold your soul. This is literally the only zoom lens I'll use.
04-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
LOL, put away the pitchforks

The buyer sent it back to me, and I'm seriously considering keeping it, especially after the bunch of test photos I took with it this evening. I was hell bent on getting a macro lens, which was my original purpose for buying it. As you know, the macro capability is.... adequate, but left a bit to be desired in that respect. I picked up an awesome D-FA 100mm Macro, and felt I was sane and cured of my LBA and tried to sell the 35-105.

Looking at the lens again from a walk around zoom perspective, has opened my eyes.

Now to deal with this negative ebay feedback
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think this lens is parafocal but with one issue, the barrel extends little bit when we zoom the lens, if using small aperture (larger DOF) it should be good enough parafocal.
04-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I recently sent in my only macro lens in for repair so the 35-105 was my only macro capable lens for my trip to the botanical garden. It was more than adequate and the colors were brilliant. No other lens of mine render red and blue the same way.
04-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It is varifocal for sure. Especially when it is used on a manual focusing film body you need to zoom in first for focusing, then zoom out for composition.

On digital bodies it seems you don't need to do so. I guess that is due to different focusing system, optical vs electonical.
04-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
It is varifocal for sure. Especially when it is used on a manual focusing film body you need to zoom in first for focusing, then zoom out for composition.

On digital bodies it seems you don't need to do so. I guess that is due to different focusing system, optical vs electonical.
Those first two sentences made no sense at all, what exactly are you trying to say?

I'm going to have to disagree with you completely on every point. There is no difference in focusing systems between digital and SLR bodies, since the lens itself is doing all the focusing.

-------------

OP how much did you sell your 35-105 for? Link to the auction?