Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Big Lens Lust

I have approximately zero use for a super-telephoto lens.

But everytime an FA* 300mm lens goes on sale I drool. And I fantasize.

I think that these lenses appeal to my primitive brain, the part of the neurological system inherited from lizards. Logic and reason hold no persuasive force against 72mm front elements and tripod mounts.

Luckily, my wallet won't let me own these lenses despite my desire. The only cure to LBA is poverty.

04-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always was a 35 and 85mm shooter back in the slr days. Have only just returned, to 645, but oddly, I now find myself drawn to the 85mm equivalent (120 or 150) and larger, whereas I was lusting after a 24mm (in 135 format) back then. So, I've just ordered my 645 300mm lens (hoping to use it on my K-x as well).
04-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

For whatever reason, I don't care about the long ones at all on DSLR. 200 tops.
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote

I think that these lenses appeal to my primitive brain, the part of the neurological system inherited from lizards. Logic and reason hold no persuasive force against 72mm front elements and tripod mounts.

Luckily, my wallet won't let me own these lenses despite my desire. The only cure to LBA is poverty.
This is simple, you won't use it as much as you think you will. It's heavy, you won't want to lug it around after you get over the fun of it being new, and you'll probably sell it. So I'll save you the trouble and just tell you to give me the money instead, and I'll hold it for safekeeping until you are no longer tempted to buy this lens.

04-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
This is simple, you won't use it as much as you think you will. It's heavy, you won't want to lug it around after you get over the fun of it being new, and you'll probably sell it. So I'll save you the trouble and just tell you to give me the money instead, and I'll hold it for safekeeping until you are no longer tempted to buy this lens.
how about just give me the lens, I'll make sure your money is well spent and the lens used
04-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
This is simple, you won't use it as much as you think you will...
This was a really insightful comment.

I've come to realize that I put one lens on my camera and then I'm happy to use it for a long time without changing again.

So I sold off my variety of lenses and I'm buying only two: 31mm and 77mm.

That should keep me happy for a while.
04-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought we were talking about big (i.e. long) lenses here.

I used to think 300mm was long till I got a 400mm. Now, 600mm looks like the ideal telephoto to me.

Tom G

04-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you want a 72 mm front element, get a Sigma 17-70 :P
04-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Wow, when I saw the title, "Big Lens" lust, I was expecting it to be more than the DA* 300mm. To me, that is just the threshold to the door of big glass.
04-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw an elderly, molested but usable Takumar 500mm f/4.5 For Sale on this Forum, for less money than I have paid for a 35mm lens.

As my fingers quivered on the mouse button I couldn't decide whether to Reply with interest first or just PM and buy the damned thing.

I chose Option #2.

Keep your eyes open. You'll get a chance. And after a time you'll probably pass it along to someone else.

I've come to believe we never really own Pentax lenses. We are merely temporary stewards of the glass, which will still be here after we have long since passed on.
04-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Be strong!

I was in the same situation. So I buckled and bought it... it's a terrific lens, but I ended up selling it 3 months later with loss (but the loss was just my stupidity)

BR
Peter
04-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Be strong!

I was in the same situation. So I buckled and bought it... it's a terrific lens, but I ended up selling it 3 months later with loss (but the loss was just my stupidity)

BR
Peter

The biggest quandary I have is that the DA* is faster than my A 400mm f5.6 but the latter has more reach. I really should sell the A but . . . I just don't seem to be able to sell it. BrownBag

Edit: What I did was sell my DA 55-300mm when I got the DA*. I know that the zoom was lighter and compact, but 75% of the time I was shooting it at 55mm or 300mm.
04-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a f*300mm and a 400mm Pentax M on the way. But I am still looking for 500-600mm
04-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I have a f*300mm and a 400mm Pentax M on the way. But I am still looking for 500-600mm
For me to acquire an FA* 600mm f4 at this point would require something along the lines of bank robbery. One of the Sigma primes may be an option in a year or so . . . .but . . . there is something funny about spending that much on non-Pentax glass.

Edit: Hey wait a minute, I have the Tak 500mm f4.5. I'm good.
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

Look at how often you set up on a tripod to shoot birds outside. Some people care...I don't...but I ain't shlepping out the tripod for this.

When I was younger, these super longs meant something based on a psychology of the user that I won't get into here (me included), but for most shooting, and unless you need the length for a specific purpose to justify the expense, save the money.

I have a 400 that I pulled out once for testing, for 10 shots, and maybe I'll pull it for July 4 fireworks.