Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2007, 01:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
17-70 and lens hood

Anyone owning this lens have any issues when using it with the hood on and inbuilt Flash??...Was playing around with mine today and noticed each shot with the flash gave the picture some shadowing/(vignetting?? ) bottom or side depending how i held the Camera..
What can be done to avaoid it without the removal oflens hood with flash being used...
PS K10D camera..
Cheers

07-24-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
17-70 and lens hood

Yes, I have experienced same problem.
I have reached the stage where I do not use the two together.
Either use the lens hood OR the in-built flash but I dont use the two together, more particularly close up but generally in all shots with the 17-70.
07-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
MMmmmmm,if others are experiencing the same problemo might have to reconsider the Lens or get Sigma to replace the lens hood with another that doesnt give that problem??..
Bramela, arent you happy with the results of the 17-70 lens as prior to purchasing this Lens i read owners reports that said they were quite happy with it..
Like most lens they have a sweet spot where they function the best and at other levels where they dont??..Only a learner myself but so far thelens on its own seems sharp enough ey...
Thank you for your reply...
07-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just avoid using it with the built in flash and the lens hood at the same time. I get this problem with a few other lenses and their lens hoods when i use the pop up flash with them. Solution? Take the hood off. Or get an external flash.

07-24-2007, 04:28 AM   #5

17-70 and Built in Flash

What you are experiencing is totally normal, I have had the 17-70 for 6 months, and it is my main lens.

My question is, if you are using the built in flash, why the lens hood anyway. The hood is for bright outside light or to prevent light flare on the lens, not usual when using the built in flash.

I only use the lens hood when shooting it bright outside light, and have never experienced a problem.

With the lens hood on the 17-70, or with any zoom or long zoom without the lens hood you will experience this shading. I found this a problem with the 18-55 and certainly the 50-200 DA lenses, so left the hood off them too.

If you know it will happen, work around it with a shorter length or cropping, or just leave it off, is not a problem I would lose a wonderful lens for.

Good luck.

Phil
07-24-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
My question is, if you are using the built in flash, why the lens hood anyway. The hood is for bright outside light or to prevent light flare on the lens, not usual when using the built in flash.
There is still good reason to use a lens hood indoors or at night as well. Flare can still occur at night if there is a bright light in the scene. A hood can also save your front element if you knock the lens on something by accident or if it falls.
07-24-2007, 05:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I know this lens isn't listed on this web site, but I think it fits here...sort of.

http://http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

I found this web site a while back when looking for something completely different. The Pentax section isn't that large..but someone might find this useful. Possibly try different lens hoods out of black cardboard and modify them slightly to eliminate the issues you are having. Just a thought.
07-24-2007, 05:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey, you know what's worse? The inbuilt flash and the 16-45. Because of the design - the front element extends a good 30mm (1.25" I guess) forward at 16mm, you get a shadow from just the leading edge of the lens up until about 22mm focal length.

07-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
There is still good reason to use a lens hood indoors or at night as well. Flare can still occur at night if there is a bright light in the scene. A hood can also save your front element if you knock the lens on something by accident or if it falls.
Out of thousands of pics I have taken with Sigma 17-70 without the hood I think perhaps 10 have had any flares. I do dare to say that this lens is inherently quite flare resistant. Not that flares can't occur, but this lens can be used liberately even without the hood.
07-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Pentax DSLRs have built-in flashes?
07-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Sigma 17-70

Yes, Papou, I am very happy with this lens.
I particularly like the macro results it produces. At this time I wouldn't part with it.
The anomoly with the Flash/lenshood has not been any real inconvenience to me.
I often just put the external flash onto (or off) the camera.
I think the problem arises with the low angle of the in-built flash and the largish size of the lens (72mm filter size), so I wonder if any change in hood would fully overcome the problem.
All the best mate (Definitely selling the lens is not the answer, you may reget that!) P.S Selling I suggest, would be akin to selling the car because the ashtray is full, lol.
I add this photo taken with the lens on macro, for your interest.

Last edited by Bramela; 10-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.
07-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think this also happens with the 18-55mm kit lens hood and the flash.
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
I think this also happens with the 18-55mm kit lens hood and the flash.
Yes, and is in fact mentioned in the manual for the lens I believe.
07-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Even without the hood, on my Ds, you get the shadow from flash at anything wider than about 23mm.