Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Lens cleaning techniques

I get very annoyed when i see dust in my viewfinder. Looking through the camera with no lens attatched, i can see that i have a spotless mirror and focusing screen thankfully. I recently bought a quite expensive fish-eye (SMC-K 17/4) and i want to take really good care of it so i bought some Tiffen lens cleaning paper, some Kinetronics cleaning solution, and a blow-brush. The lens gets clean alright, but im having a little trouble with the technique, and when i look through the camera with the lens attached, i see some dust still.

How do you clean your lenses, and how often? Do you clean them just when there is a major issue (like a fingerprint or saliva), or as soon as there is some dust on it? Is it acceptable with some visible dust that can be seen in the viewfinder, is this a common thing? I can understand that there may be some dust inside the lens that can not be removed, this is of course a common problem with old manual focus lenses, but how common and how much is acceptable?

Pyra Ohms

Last edited by pyra_ohms; 04-23-2010 at 03:00 PM.
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This has come up several times recently so a search should give you lots of different -- and conflicting -- opinions.

I would just ask you to clarify: is the dust on your viewfinder? This can happen -- one of my cameras is filthy. One can pop out the glass and clean it, but I find this finicky.

Or is the dust on the rear of the lens? Or the front? Both of these are easy to deal with using a simple lens cloth or a lens brush (I find those handy).
04-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I try not to be too fussy and uptight when it comes to cleaning lenses, because you can wind up doing more harm from obssessively cleaning your glass than just leaving it alone. The safest way to "clean" them is to have one of those plastic lens blowers and just try to blow the stray dust off the lens. If you get water spots or fingerprints on the lens, use a clean microfiber cloth and gently wipe it clean. Lens cleaning fluid is optional.
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust on the mirror doesn't matter.

If you change lenses and see the same dust, it has nothing to do with the lenses.

04-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Dust on the lens will NEVER be visible in the viewfinder or on the picture unless the picture is of the lens.
If dust concerns you, take up a different hobby.
You will do more harm to your equipment by keeping it clean that you will by letting it get filthy.
04-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you have a dust in your focus screen, not on the mirror. I only clean the focus screen when it really gets into my sight or really distracting enough. it's easy to clean the viewfinder but not advisable to be cleaned always.

what I do is remove the focus screen, rinse it with water only, dry with microfiber cloth and blow it up with giotto blower. the danger is with regards to handling as you might scratch the focus screen.
04-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I use a Super Program so i can not remove my focusing screen, but that does not matter because the screen (and mirror) is really clean. I think there is dust inside the lens i bought, cause ive cleaned it front & back. I have to settle for that, and just be fine with it. I get it, there can be more harm done obsessively cleaning lenses then to just blow them off with a blow brush occasionaly.

Thank you for info, i will search the subject in the forums.