Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #1

Pentax smc-DFA 100mm/2,8 Macro ???

I know that Pentax DFA 50/2,8 Macro is great one, but...

...what about DFA 100/2,8 Macro?
Is this lens great too?

(..or is better solution to buy Sigma 105/2,8 Macro / Tamron 90/2,8 Macro? )

Thanks for any informations!

07-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Might want to review this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/4102-prime-mac...gth-range.html
07-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmmm ... the Tamron 90mm Di Macro is starting to sound better and better every time i read a personal review on it ... also have seen a number of shots from it and I am impresed to say the least.

It's on my LBA list
07-30-2007, 02:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Jazzer,
I have the Pentax DFA 100 f2.8 and find I am using it more & more as a prime rather than a macro.
What can I say? Hey ...its a Pentax. its good, very good.
Grant

07-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Prime Macros

I've recently been doing some on-line research on this very subject. Comparing the price of the Sigma AF 105mm EX DG Macro, the Tamron 90 mm DI macro and the Pentax DFA macro at 17th Street Photo, I have found the following: Sigma $369.89, Tamron $459.89 less a $90 rebate which puts it at $369.89 also, and the Pentax is priced at $519.89 less a $100 rebate offer which ends tomorrow, which makes the price $419.89 if ordered no later than 7/31. Going to the reviews at Photozine, Klaus describes the Tamron as "superb", the Sigma as "excellent", and the Pentax as "Very good". Apparently all of these lenses are of comparable quality and capable of producing very satisfactory results. Apparently it pretty much boils down to brand preference.

CN
07-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In my experience it is not quite that simple.

The Pentax offers "Quick Shift" (using MF whilst in AF mode), neutral colour and is considerably smaller and lighter than the other two lenses.

I tried the Sigma back to back and it is just as sharp as the Pentax but is much heavier, much larger and has the signature Sinma yelow cast that annnoys me to no end.

One thing working against the Pentax is it is not as well built as the others (especially the sigma).

See my gallery for a guide (and leave me some comments please )

Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 MACRO Photo Gallery by alfisti at pbase.com

To give you an idea .....

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
I've recently been doing some on-line research on this very subject. Comparing the price of the Sigma AF 105mm EX DG Macro, the Tamron 90 mm DI macro and the Pentax DFA macro at 17th Street Photo, I have found the following: Sigma $369.89, Tamron $459.89 less a $90 rebate which puts it at $369.89 also, and the Pentax is priced at $519.89 less a $100 rebate offer which ends tomorrow, which makes the price $419.89 if ordered no later than 7/31. Going to the reviews at Photozine, Klaus describes the Tamron as "superb", the Sigma as "excellent", and the Pentax as "Very good". Apparently all of these lenses are of comparable quality and capable of producing very satisfactory results. Apparently it pretty much boils down to brand preference.

CN
07-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
ycl

No real price difference

I bought the Pentax D-FA 100 last week at Beach Camera for $469 -- though I haven't really used it much. After the $100 rebate, that comes out to $369. So there is really no price difference between the three lenses (if anything, the Pentax may be the least expensive).

I went through the same decision process as the OP. Ultimately, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3, but what pushed me in favor of the Pentax was (1) it was a Pentax (fewer compatibility or quality control issues, at the least); (2) small & light; and (3) Quick-Shift feature. It didn't have one feature that the other 2 have -- a focus-limiter -- which would be useful when using it as a telephoto prime. But nothing's perfect, and I'm so far very satisfied with the lens (it certainly is wicked sharp).
07-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

ycl:

Were you satisfied with the service from Beach Camera? Thanks for your response.

CN