Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

SEARS 1:2.8 f=135mm macro lens question

I have read few fairly positive evaluations of this lens on this forum, so I got myself one. Apart from description above it has inscribed AUTO and Multicoated up front.

The lens I bought is in a very good condition, basically no visible wear, glass perfectly clear. While the focusing is smooth and tight, the focusing ring/collar itself is kind of lose and wiggly on the lens body. I do not think that it is affecting the lens performance in any way, but it is definitely annoying, I never seen it on any lens before.

Does anyone else have similar problem on their SEARS lens? Should I just accept it or is it fixable?
Thanks,

04-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's probably fixable. You might find if there are no visible screws on the focus ring, there are screws hidden under the rubber grip. I'd try that first. On the lenses I had, they came apart like a typical Pentax lens from the front, by unscrewing the trim ring that says Auto and Multicoated through the filter threads. The ring is really thin so getting a rubber gripping tool between filter threads and frnt element is a little tricky.
04-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, you were absolutely right about the screws under the rubber grip. I have actually found out and fixed it yesterday before reading your reply. Came to this conclusion rather hard way, after taking out the rear mount and the aperture control ring, looking inside and figuring out that there was no way to get to focus ring from this direction.
There were three small screws under the rubber colar that needed tightening - fixed!

This lens is surprisingly sharp, better than both my DA 50-200 kit lens and Tamron 70-300 @135mm. I have not tested the macro yet...