Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10D Shake reductiion settings

A tad confused with page 69 of the k10D maual of setting up the shake reduction using the foacl length of the lens??..Dont want to show my ignorance lol, but does that mean i have to enter the the type of lens Eg sy 18-85 or when i zoom in on a subject the focal distance shown on the lens??
Thanking in advance..

07-24-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are using a lens that comunicates with the body (F and onwards) you dont need to enter anything as the camera knows the focal length you are using. If you are not sure....turn the SR on before you turn the camera on. If there is no connection the camera will ask you for the focal length.

If you are using an older lens that doesnt comunicate with the body you will need to tell the camera the focal length you are using. If you change a zoom setting you will have to tell the camera you have changed it.
07-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Q that is relevant to this thread. Right now i'm waiting on a Samsung GX-10 to be delivered from Park Camera's here in the UK

When using the GX-10 / K10D with SMC-M series lenses that don't communicate focal length with the camera what do I set it as? Do I put the exact focal length in or do I put with the 1.5x crop factor added in?

So if using a 50mm, is it 50 or 75 in the settings?
Perhaps all will be clear in the manual?
07-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
I have a Q that is relevant to this thread. Right now i'm waiting on a Samsung GX-10 to be delivered from Park Camera's here in the UK

When using the GX-10 / K10D with SMC-M series lenses that don't communicate focal length with the camera what do I set it as? Do I put the exact focal length in or do I put with the 1.5x crop factor added in?

So if using a 50mm, is it 50 or 75 in the settings?
Perhaps all will be clear in the manual?
You put the focal length of the lens you are using. A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens no matter whether it is mounted on a digital or a 35mm film camera.

07-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So what do we select say if its a 100-300 lens...
07-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #6

Well, if the focal length you are using is 100mm, then put that into the camera. If you change the focal length to say 300mm then you need to tell the camera that and change the setting.
07-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cheers and what i was after, greatly appreciated..
07-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have an ancillary Q to this OP's Q...

Anyone know definitely how, if I use a 300mm AF lens through a 1.4x or 2x TC which retains AF and communicates lens info to the camera, how I tell the camera to calculate shake @ 420mm or 600mm respectively?

Using my Bower TC with my Tamron zoom (before the Sigma stuff arrives), I turned the camera on with just the TC, to force the prompt on startup. I set focal length to 150mm. I then plugged in the lens. However, my pictures show 75mm in the Exif. Telling me once the AF and lens talked to the camera, what I set was overridden ... and shake control is then not properly calculated.

-Is- there a way to force the camera to use the proper focal length + TC multiplier with AF lenses and AF Teleconverters?

I hate that the camera greys that setting out if it can talk to the lens. Does an update to the firmware allow overriding focal length regardless of whether the camera can talk to the lens? I haven't had a reason to update firmware, but if one does that, there's my reason...

much thnx to any with informed replies.