Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are all DA 35mm macro lenses the same?

Did Pentax ever make a non-Limited version of the DA 35mm macro? My local camera store, who doesn't stock Pentax cameras any more but used to, still has some lenses in stock. Besides having the DA 21 Ltd, it has a DA 35 mm macro lens. But it doesn't say "limited" on the box - did Pentax at one time make a non-limited version? If so, are they the same lens optically? If it's the same lens as the Limited, it's (relatively) reasonably priced (I don't think they've raised their price to the current retail level). I don't need another macro lens but I'm having a tough time with the cost of the FA 31, especially with some people talking about having problems with some new ones. So I'd consider this lens if it's Limited quality.

04-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that is the DA 35 limited. Not certain if they changed the name at some point along the way. It is definitely a great lens (see J Sherman's thread on the subject).
04-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the information!

Good to know that Pentax didn't make an earlier version that was later upgraded and designated as Limited. The camera store isn't a discount store, so they are probably selling it for the same price as it was when they got it. It's more than I would want to pay for an inferior lens, but it's less than the current list price for the 35 Limited.

I've been reading through a number of threads here on both lenses, and I'm still trying to make up my mind between them (I still have a couple of weeks before I'll be able to buy anything).
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There was an FA35 that was neither a Limited nor a macro, but no DA35 other than the Limited, which is indeed a macro.

04-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Marc. The box is clearly marked DA 35 Macro, not the FA (I made a point of checking that). The store doesn't have many Pentax lenses, just unsold stock, so it's nice to know I have a local source. I just wish they had had the FA 31...
04-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's also the "Samsung D Xenogon 2,0/35", but that is a clone of the FA 35mm, not the DA 35mm.

Make the store a reasonable offer and see if you get lucky!
04-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
The box is clearly marked DA 35 Macro, not the FA (I made a point of checking that).
Check the markings on the lens as well

04-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm almost afraid to offer them a lower price - I've heard they will match b&h and I'm afraid they'd look at their website and see that the current price is actually higher (not a normal thing - they aren't discount, but they are good sized, nice people, locally owned and offer good service. That goes a long way with me). On the other hand, since they don't carry Pentax cameras, I don't think they'll have anyone buying it any time soon.

And yes, if I decide to buy this lens I'll definitely check it out physically first. They are good about showing off their lenses and will let me take a couple of shots with my own camera. I didn't when I discovered it as I was more on a fishing mission that day, not serious about buying it. I'm still very undecided and knowing that the DA 35 is available locally is not making the decision any easier.