Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #31

I suppose it depends on what one looks for in street photography. I've moved to the opposite direction, preferring the DA70 over the DA40. Even before switching to DSLR, I'd been using a 45mm/f2 and a 135mm/f2.8-macro lens on my minolta xd-5, with the 135mm-macro being my primary walk-about lens. I'd probably be just happy with the new DFA-100 macro (if I could afford one).

I also don't find the APS-C view-finders appealing for wide lenses -- everything appears distant and small to me.

05-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't pay much attention to the crop factor discussed all over the place. The only SLRs I've ever shot with are Pentax DSLRs so for me, what I see is what matters. Its like some times you don't exactly know what you want, but you do know what you have may not be the right one.

I did try the DA21 for a day. While I thought that lens was superb, I felt it was a bit too wide for my objective. May be I will try a 28mm (on APS-C) when I get my hands on one and see if that's what I am in need of.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Factoring the 1.5x crop factor, the DA 21 is the lens that's closest in terms of angle of view to a traditional 28mm wide angle on 35mm film.
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes I kind of liked it too. The DA40 didn't literally grow longer after reading the said article. It just made me take another look at what I had been shooting, which made me realize that I was essentially doing candid street portraiture of which wasn't really what I wanted at certain times. In these cases I was missing out on the essence of what makes my subjects interesting, their surroundings.

But thanks for the words of encouragement. Prior to some of my prime lenses collection, I was a happy camper with the kit lens. Some times having options makes you unsure

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I like how you found it perfectly suited to your brand of street photography until you read some article written by someone who knows nothing about your photography style.

By all means, experiment, but don't stop doing something if it's working for you just because of an article..