Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA40mm has grown too long for streets.

DA40 has been my favorite lens on the K-x. However, after reading some articles about street photography, I suddenly started to feel that the lens is a bit too long, and started looking at alternatives.

Since I am going to keep the DA40 my choices for an alternative will most likely become further limited due to funding.

From what I've read and heard so far, 30mm seems about the right focal length but there is no way I can afford the FA31 any time soon, and even after I did, I couldn't get myself to toss that lens attached to any camera into the passenger seat of my car. Besides, size isn't small either.

FA35mm f2 is too close to DA40 in focal length so not a huge gain. Sigma 30mm f1.4 has received some good reviews but its size is a bit off-putting, not to mention the fact it is not a Pentax lens to begin with. How about DA21? Seems not too ridiculously expensive like the FA31 but is it too wide for streets? What else is out there, light weight and preferably in AF?

Thanks.

04-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA 28mm would be the perfect lens for you if you can find one. I have the 21mm and is a good for street only if you dare to get very close, which at times could be dangerous.
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Everyone has their own iea of what it means to shoot "street" photography. I can only suggest using zoom enough to figure out for yourself what focal length *you* like. For me personally, if I'm interested in people, 21 is way too wide - 40 really pretty much nails it. But if I'm interested in architecture, 21 is only just beginning to get wide enough; when shooting my 18-55, I'm usually pegged at 18mm. So the DA15 is now my go-to lens for that. But when I want some sort of compromise, 28mm does it for me. AF seems unnecessary to me in this type of shooting - at f/8 or f/11, manual focus is simple. So the M or A 28's are all fine choices. But if you don't mind paying a few hundred extra for the luxury of AF, you can probably find an FA28 for somewhat less than the DA21.
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Da21

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
How about DA21? Seems not too ridiculously expensive like the FA31 but is it too wide for streets? What else is out there, light weight and preferably in AF?
Let me know if you want to borrow the DA21 this weekend (or some other time) to try out.

04-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pick up a cheap, used 28/2.8 of almost any make and use it a while to see how it fits your style.

The Vivitar, Sears and Tamron Adaptall 28mm's come to mind as prospects often available for less than $40.

H2
04-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Everyone has their own iea of what it means to shoot "street" photography. I can only suggest using zoom enough to figure out for yourself what focal length *you* like. For me personally, if I'm interested in people, 21 is way too wide - 40 really pretty much nails it. But if I'm interested in architecture, 21 is only just beginning to get wide enough; when shooting my 18-55, I'm usually pegged at 18mm. So the DA15 is now my go-to lens for that. But when I want some sort of compromise, 28mm does it for me. AF seems unnecessary to me in this type of shooting - at f/8 or f/11, manual focus is simple. So the M or A 28's are all fine choices. But if you don't mind paying a few hundred extra for the luxury of AF, you can probably find an FA28 for somewhat less than the DA21.
Zooms haven't worked out for me in this application, just can't be bothered with one more thing to adjust when you have little or no time. I've tried the kit lens, 16-45 and most recently, Tamron 24-135. They all make good walk-around lenses but not necessarily at street photography. Short of shooting from the hip, I'd like almost point-and-shoot capabilities. While the DA40 has served me well, I've been longing for something wider (pun intended).

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Let me know if you want to borrow the DA21 this weekend (or some other time) to try out.
Thanks Dan, I may just do that. I'll give you a call over the weekend.
04-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Pick up a cheap, used 28/2.8 of almost any make and use it a while to see how it fits your style.

The Vivitar, Sears and Tamron Adaptall 28mm's come to mind as prospects often available for less than $40.

H2
This is something to consider, a MF 28mm lens since I tend to shoot at around f8-f11 anyway with focus set at infinity. If size isn't an issue, this might just work.

I did try a copy of Viv once but images were too soft, literally had to give it away with one of my K-mount film cameras!

04-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

I never found 40 to bee too long. If than too short... but too long?
and it gave me some excellent shots from streets of London. If you are looking for a companion and not replacement lens, go wider than 30 IMO.
I have 31 and it was too close to 40. 28 is a great match but personally I loved combo of 24 & 40/43!
04-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Nubi

This may be a case of too much reading there. Follow your heart. I think your DA 40 is not long, and just fine. Just look at it (just kidding)!!
04-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA 18-55 II, DA L kit lens is not bad if you don't care about the distance markings...
04-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
This is something to consider, a MF 28mm lens since I tend to shoot at around f8-f11 anyway with focus set at infinity. If size isn't an issue, this might just work.
For practical purposes I find it hard to differentiate between a Tamron Adp-2 28/2.5, a Sears 28/2.8 macro, a DA 16-45 or a Tamron 28-75 at F5.6-11 in the 28mm range. Used as a pre-set (hyperfocal dist & exp) the Adaptall works fine with the PK adapter. But the Sears is PK/A and the simplest of the four to use in that manner and also does a creditable job with close-ups.

H2
04-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's personal preference, I personally find a 21mm on digital a little too long, I usually use a 28mm on 35mm film, though I wouldn't mind trying a 24mm.
04-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Banned

don't follow everyone else's patterns. I often shoot on the streets with a focal length that is considered a 'portrait' length on aps-c. there is no rules saying you need more wide angle to shoot streets.
04-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just in general, i'd recommend you keep your DA 40 - it always sounded like a great FL to me. For street photography, DA 21 could be used, but i often have used my FA-50 because it gives one a much greater feeling of being in the image, IMHO.

Wide lens have that characteristic of making distant objects really small. While that may add to some subjects, it can minimize some valuable stuff going on in the background.

I recommend you keep the DA-40 and add something wider to it later on. For example, I bought a F28 F2.8 lens that might meet your size requirements (but mine is not for sale :-). They come up occasionally at something like $250. I don't think zooms necessarily fit the "true" street photography, as they are kind of initimidating to people close in - and not very discrete.
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Just in general, i'd recommend you keep your DA 40 - it always sounded like a great FL to me. For street photography, DA 21 could be used, but i often have used my FA-50 because it gives one a much greater feeling of being in the image, IMHO.

Wide lens have that characteristic of making distant objects really small. While that may add to some subjects, it can minimize some valuable stuff going on in the background.

I recommend you keep the DA-40 and add something wider to it later on. For example, I bought a F28 F2.8 lens that might meet your size requirements (but mine is not for sale :-). They come up occasionally at something like $250. I don't think zooms necessarily fit the "true" street photography, as they are kind of initimidating to people close in - and not very discrete.
I will be keeping my DA40 for the time being and I do agree, zooms have no place on these mean streets

28mm seems about right and when I looked at the lens reviews, compared prices, sizes and weights, etc., the one that jumped out at me was the F28 f2.8 but like you said, they don't show up often.

Seems like a toss-up between that and DA21.