Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All that I can think of after seeing those pics is..... I wonder what the bokeh is like
It'll be interesting to say the least, and may even somehow be pleasing.

If you decide to buy it, please take some pic's using it before the repair and post them.

04-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting set of links...

... so it sells at Christies in 2001 for $612 + VAT + buyer's premium
04-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Interesting set of links...

the christies ad is for the m37 Asahi-Kogaku Takumar, for the Asahiflex. while the m42's are more rare (due to lower numers made during a shorter life span) the m37 version will certainly always garner a higher value. the one the OP is considering however is the early m42 version made between 1957 and 1959. same optical design, just updated for the newly introduced m42 bodies and quickly dissolved by an 85mm.
04-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Wow, rare lens. Someone above mentioned possible aperture problems. Another is one or more aperture blades with a broken pin. These are more difficult to repair, involving finding correct size stock (easy) and riveting to the blade without bending the blade (not so easy, requires skill, patience, and luck). I would buy if I can see all of the aperture blades are present and none of them are bent. Looking at second set of photos I would guess broken pin...

04-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedromar Quote
It includes a Super-Tak 150mm f4 (which I already own) and a Super-Tak 55mm f2. Which puts the 83 around 200, all things considered.
This is my math:

The 55 is 20 bucks, and the 150 hovers at a hundred and change.

Offer him $200 for all, or walk away,
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

Different lens, different time, and that's Christies.
04-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
This is my math:

The 55 is 20 bucks, and the 150 hovers at a hundred and change.

Offer him $200 for all, or walk away,
Yeah, that's the offer I made. It was rejected and then I made an offer for the 83 on its own and am waiting to hear back. Oh well, at this point I just want to see it get fixed up and back out in the field.

04-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedromar Quote
Yeah, that's the offer I made. It was rejected and then I made an offer for the 83 on its own and am waiting to hear back. Oh well, at this point I just want to see it get fixed up and back out in the field.
Smart move. It's not worth the headache.

I've been trying to nail down a 85 1.9 that is in GREAT condition for $300 to $400 for about a month now, and I keep screwing up. I doubt the optics on this are all that superior to pay so much money for a broken lens, putting the nostalgia factor aside.

I'm 53, and I would be willing to pull the trigger on a Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4 for $150--but that's because I had one when I was 16. Not saying it's NOT worth it, but is it really? Especially when I have the Tak 50 1.4 that I paid $35 for before these prices all went nuts?