Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #1

Help, please.

I've got a chance at a Takumar 83mm 1.9 through a friend. I asked for some pictures and overall everything looked great until I go to this one. Can anyone please tell me what the hell is going on here? It looks to me like the blades are all out of whack. I know how rare this lens is, so should I just bite the bullet and buy it in the hopes it could be repaired? Provided that something is actually wrong with it.

04-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm afraid, a lens that can't be used to take pictures is only worth at most as much as a paper weight

The call really is yours. But I don't think it's easy to find spare parts for it :ugh:

Just how much is that paper weight I saw at the book store this afternoon..............
04-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the lens I've been lusting after. And you mean 85, right?

First, if he's your friend, he should let you use it for a day anyway. And how much is he asking?
04-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

First, if he's your friend, he should let you use it for a day anyway. And how much is he asking?
I found the seller through a friend. And it is in fact an 83mm.

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - Takumar 83mm F1.9

04-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

It's the very rare 83mm f1.9, the serialnumber is in the range of the very small batches that were made of this lens.

Too bad it seems to be broken but considering the rareness at least consider to get it repaired.
04-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Inactive Account

One or more of the aperture blades has come loose. It is fixable if everything is in there but the bigger question is why did it come loose. Repairing such a thing requires completely dismantling the lens and a degree of bravery or knowledge, the latter being preferred. If the lens is Cheap, I'd say go for it. Worse that can happen is you end up with a paperweight, where you started.

04-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

I want it!!!

04-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
One or more of the aperture blades has come loose. It is fixable if everything is in there but the bigger question is why did it come loose. Repairing such a thing requires completely dismantling the lens and a degree of bravery or knowledge, the latter being preferred. If the lens is Cheap, I'd say go for it. Worse that can happen is you end up with a paperweight, where you started.

Sadly he wants 300 for this and a couple other Taks in a package. And there is no way I would be able to take this apart and reassemble it without screwing something up. Sad to see this lens get just a little bit rarer right in front of our eyes.

I'm going to toss him a low ball off and see if he'll take it and then investigate finding a place to repair.
04-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Here are some more images of it with the blades closed. What do you think a reasonable offer for it is?

04-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He meant 83mm - older version. Peter Jonkman (Asahiflex) posts photos from his every so often. Don't look.

I don't have any experience with the 83mm Takumar repair - probably few do. The blades on other Takumars each have a small pin and a small hole in them. The holes hook on to an outer ring and the pins fit into holes in an inner ring. When one ring rotates, the blades move. They are woven together. Another ring sits on top of the assembly and keeps the blades from shifting.

One possibility: the ring on top of the assembly loosened and the blades shifted, so one or more pin isn't in its hole. That should be an easy fix, just putting everything back in its place.

Another more dire situation: the blades rusted together. I've seen this on a couple of Takumars. If someone tried to force the aperture mechanism, a pin could shear off or a hole could break. You'd need an expert for that. At least for DSLR use, the blades don't need to be fast.

In either case, trying to adjust the blades in the lens's current state could be bad. It could break something that's not broken yet.

Because of value and rarity, it wouldn't be a good lens to learn repair on. It's definitely worth finding a decent repair professional. I would make a deal with your friend: send the lens off an split the repair cost. That part depends on you and your friend.
04-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is suppose to be a gentleman on the forum by the name of Erick (I believe - if I remember correctly), that has years of experience as a lens technician whose abilities are legendary with Pentax lenses. I have read that he has successfully repaired lenses with fungus, dust, oily blades, and many other problems. His contact information is somewhere here on the Forums. Maybe, you could strike a deal, where by the seller would send it in, and if it is repairable in Erick's opinion - you pay for the lens and repair (possibly with a repair adjustment), and if not we all know what 85mm lens to not buy....

I also, recall that there was also another person that repaired Pentax lenses too. It would be nice to have this information on a sticky here on the Lens Forum. I know it may be looked at as an advertisement, but......

I think I found it.

I might even be inclined to email him the image here on the thread and ask if he thinks that it might be repairable, and then decide what to do...

Fortunately, I have never had to have a lens repaired, so this is just from what I have read.....

04-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedromar Quote
Sadly he wants 300 for this and a couple other Taks in a package. And there is no way I would be able to take this apart and reassemble it without screwing something up. Sad to see this lens get just a little bit rarer right in front of our eyes.

I'm going to toss him a low ball off and see if he'll take it and then investigate finding a place to repair.

It's something (at the right price) I would try and tackle and eat it if it didn't work out, but that's just me. Good luck..

04-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedromar Quote

So it's not just $300 for this one? What are the other Taks in the package?

You have to do the math.
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Banned

if the price of three hundred is for a package, what else comes with it? if the 83 can be repaired, it is possibly worth more than that on its own. the 83 is rare.
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if the price of three hundred is for a package, what else comes with it? if the 83 can be repaired, it is possibly worth more than that on its own. the 83 is rare.
It includes a Super-Tak 150mm f4 (which I already own) and a Super-Tak 55mm f2. Which puts the 83 around 200, all things considered.