Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Promaster Lens

Anyone had any experience with Promaster lenses?
Promaster Cameras - Lenses at Camcor.com

07-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Most of those lenses look like rebranded Tamrons
07-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It seems that Promaster and Quantaray just rebadge lenses made by other lens makers.

There was a discussion about a Quantaray lens here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/9147-quantaray...70-300-di.html

Pick the lens that you like and find out the original lens that it was based on. Then read reviews for the original lens to get an idea of the optical quality.
07-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Not all of them are rebadged Tamrons, in fact I am positive some aren't, but some are definately rebadged Tamrons.

Most likely everything with XR in the name is rebadged Tamron. The 70-300 Macro is without a doubt the Tamron 70-300 Macro. You can get the real deal from Amazon for $150 though, or if you really want it from a brick and mortar store, Ritz Camera carries a Quantaray-rebadged version. Make sure to check the filter size before buying from Ritz though - they carry both a Tamron and a low-end Sigma at the same price, the Sigma sold by Ritz is awful. If it has a 62mm filter it's Tamron, I believe the rebadged Sigma has a 58mm filter.

07-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Anyone had any experience with Promaster lenses?
Promaster Cameras - Lenses at Camcor.com

Many of these lenses are sold by Promaster, Quantaray, Tamron, Phoenix, and others. In the case of the Promaster and Phoenix web sites, even the wording for the product descriptions are the same.

Phoenix Corporation of America Home

I purchased a sharply discounted PK mount Phoenix MF 100-500mm f5.6-8 lens from a local camera store going out of business a few months back (this lens also sold by Promaster, and perhaps others). I wanted a longer zoom lens to occasionally use with my K10D for nature and wildlife shots. For the price paid, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality and performance of this lens. Manufacturered in Japan, it seems fairly well built, with sturdy all-metal construction and quiet, smooth, zooming and focusing action. The front ring rotates while focusing, which is mildly inconvenient with polarizers and graduated filters. It also did not come with a lens hood, which is easy enough to find cheaply at most camera stores. Image quality (based on very limited testing so far) is not overly spectacular, but more than acceptable for a zoom lens combining this price and focal length range.

stewart
07-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I bought one of the 18-200 Di II in January from Cord Camera. They stock these more than the Tamrons (at least in Pentax mount) and often run 20% discounts so...

The following is from exiftool for an image taken with this lens:

Lens Type : TAMRON XR DiII 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 (A14)