Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm still leaning with Mel on this one. Sensor dust. I've had some pretty odd shaped dust bunnies on my sensors in the past. Usually a blast with a blower will take care of such dust hairs. Put your camera in cleaning mode, point the lens opening toward the ground and give the mirror box a few good blasts with a rocket blower. Don't have one yet? No DSLR bag is complete without one.

I'm guessing that shooting into the light like that you had to stop the lens way down to keep from blowing out the sky. Yes? No?

I guess the Real question here is though, does the shape match the 'goop' on the lens??

I'm working on it Jeff. TBC....

Re the stop on the pic...i'll have to go back and look what i did because I really don't remember. I was dialing up and down experimenting a lot that night. I'll let ya know when I get back to my home PC what the settings were. This was just before sunset in early April.

04-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To my eyes, that's sensor dust on the picture. There could still be something on your lens as well.

As others have said, try another lens stopped down and shoot a clear sky or blank wall. I suspect you'll see your candy cane with other lenses.

As for the goop on the lens in question, that does sound like oil inside the lens has gotten on one of the elements. It can result in some loss of contrast, but shouldn't cause spots like you're seeing in the picture.
04-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm still leaning with Mel on this one. Sensor dust. I've had some pretty odd shaped dust bunnies on my sensors in the past. Usually a blast with a blower will take care of such dust hairs. Put your camera in cleaning mode, point the lens opening toward the ground and give the mirror box a few good blasts with a rocket blower. Don't have one yet? No DSLR bag is complete without one.

I'm guessing that shooting into the light like that you had to stop the lens way down to keep from blowing out the sky. Yes? No?

I guess the Real question here is though, does the shape match the 'goop' on the lens??

+1

tip: also use the rocket blower in the mirror box BEFORE using cleaning mode and using blower on sensor to prevent mirror flipping dust onto clean sensor...

edit: yep that looks like sensor dust, especially since that into-the-sun shot was taken with small aperture opening...
05-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
I was cleaning my lenses today and noticed that my Tamron 70-300mm has something like a smear/goop on it as visible from the side that faces the camera body. I cleaned it with the lens cleaning kit and it is still there, and shows up as a candy cane looking imperfection on my photos. Does anyone know what is going on here and how I can get rid of this 'goop'?

It almost looks like something got BEHIND the glass that faces the camera body and I really don't know what to do to remove it?????? I"m super duper careful about keeping everything clean so I don't know how something could have gotten inside the lens itself.
You guys were right, it was a piece of dust on the sensor. Problem solved.