Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Elusive Sigma AF70-200mm F2.8 APO EXDG (Pentax)

Hi all

I am not really sure where to post this but I choose here as I am not selling this. I know a few people have been looking for this lens. My local camera shop has it on their web site. I phoned and they do not have any in stock , but assured me they could get them in two weeks.

Anyway for those interetested

Sigma AF70-200mm F2.8 APO EXDG (Pentax)
Reg. $1249.00 (Cdn)

Their web page indicates International Shipping

McBain Sigma Lenes Scroll down about 2/3of the way down the page

Main McBain Page

Good luck !

07-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I really hate to say this, but that's a pretty good price for a quality lens

I won't be able to afford it until at least December, but don't be overly suprised if I have 1 in my hand for Christmas
07-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Daacon, would you be able to ask them to confirm that they can actually supply the lens. I know several sites in Australia that had this lens in their online stores with "short order" written beside it, when they actually asked the question of Sigma on availability then they removed it from the site.
07-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Daacon, would you be able to ask them to confirm that they can actually supply the lens. I know several sites in Australia that had this lens in their online stores with "short order" written beside it, when they actually asked the question of Sigma on availability then they removed it from the site.

blwnhr

I did call and spoke to someone and she specifically said she could get it in two weeks - however I did not like her tone (kinda brushing me off haha) and phoned back spoke to someone else who mentioned they have none in stock (same story) . But this guys said their supplier is on EST (2 hours difference from here) so they could not confirm availability as the store is closed now. I can try and phone tomorrow for you earlier in the day.

07-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I can try and phone tomorrow for you earlier in the day.
If you could that would be wonderful.
07-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
If you could that would be wonderful.

Well blwnhr - the official word from player number 3 I talked to today is they recently received and Email from their distributor and production for this Lens will not begin until September’ish - so it looks like Stu's x-mas time frame may be closer to delivery date.

On a whim I asked about the DA* series - check is in the mail is still the story however today’s rumor has these lens available by end of the month and they said they should have them early August - I am not betting the farm on that rumor however at least now they are mentioning actual months instead of words like fall 07 , Q4 haha

Sorry to get your hopes up (and believing the first person I talked to - yeah we can get that for you two weeks no problem) !
07-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #7

I think that is interesting that the camera store is saying that they can obtain the lens. The Sigma website does not list Pentax as being a mount that this lens is going to be available for. Also I recently contacted Sigma about this lens and they told me the following.

"I do not have any info on future plans for the Pentax mount at this time. We will make an announcement on our web site when more info becomes available."

I had this lens on order with Adorama in the US since April and they could not give me any information on when it would be available. I'm beginning to believe that Tamron will deliver on a 70-200 F2.8 before Sigma will.

Shawn
07-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On a whim I asked about the DA* series - check is in the mail is still the story
FYI, Ned Bunnell's blog says they are officially shipping as of this week, but they're backlogged until September...

07-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I think that is interesting that the camera store is saying that they can obtain the lens. The Sigma website does not list Pentax as being a mount that this lens is going to be available for. Also I recently contacted Sigma about this lens and they told me the following.

"I do not have any info on future plans for the Pentax mount at this time. We will make an announcement on our web site when more info becomes available."

I had this lens on order with Adorama in the US since April and they could not give me any information on when it would be available. I'm beginning to believe that Tamron will deliver on a 70-200 F2.8 before Sigma will.

Shawn
Well wtf knows ..... since it is not in my immediate needs (albiet certainly in my immediate wants that or the DA* ) - does not affect my day to day I have enough glass for now to meet almost any situation that I will come accross. The replacements or new glass I would buy at this point are becuase I can and I am a geek.

Unless I get tired of the rat race and do a 180 in carreer paths September / October / November / December / sometime in '08 is fine by me. I just have to learn to stop asking , looking and googling. Now if I happen to walk in somewhere that has the DA* I reserve the right to change my tune.
07-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well blwnhr - the official word from player number 3 I talked to today is they recently received and Email from their distributor and production for this Lens will not begin until September’ish - so it looks like Stu's x-mas time frame may be closer to delivery date.

Sorry to get your hopes up (and believing the first person I talked to - yeah we can get that for you two weeks no problem) !
I had a feeling that would be the case. When they said they didn't have any then I was assuming (correctly) that they would be buying from Sigma direct and that 12 months ago they would have been able to get it.

My contacts were right. Although they seem to think production won't start until January, that's what the Asia-Pacific rep from Sigma said.