Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Third party lens reviews and few questions?

Having quite a bit of experience with third party lenses. My experience has come across quite a few that have not been documented yet in the lens review.

Adam has corresponded with me in regards to this in the past. Finding the time to post every lens that has passed through my way has been quite difficult.

My thoughts are it is very important to post honest information about a K-mount lens that has been in my hands and has been photographically documented. This includes several unknown tele-Converters.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated on how to upload and post to the "Third Party Lens Database".

Especially within the Tamron and Sigma area having found found some that are not documented and should be.

My hopes are that the administrators will keep this post within the lens discussion and anyone who comes across a lens they do not recognize post here so it can be sorted out and posted properly within the Lens database.

04-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the lens database is Ole's project. He seems to be the original poster that sets up each lens spec sheet. As for writing reviews, go ahead and start with one and see where the thread goes. Please though, I implore you, don't write a review on a 1000mm lens and list as a Con, that it cannot focus closer than a foot or some other unlikely close distance. I'm sorry but when I see that I find it to be the most idiotic statement one can make about such a lens.

04-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
JeffJS:I think the lens database is Ole's project. He seems to be the original poster that sets up each lens spec sheet. As for writing reviews, go ahead and start with one and see where the thread goes. Please though, I implore you, don't write a review on a 1000mm lens and list as a Con, that it cannot focus closer than a foot or some other unlikely close distance. I'm sorry but when I see that I find it to be the most idiotic statement one can make about such a lens.
I'm not sure of the degree to which Ole participates in the lens reviews, but I assure you he is not the only one "that sets up each lens spec sheet." I have set up some of the spec sheets. Anyone can do this--just initiate the process and make the post. Also, you can contribute to the database without even writing a review, or without posting specs. Sometimes, for example, I have uploaded a shot of a lens which was missing from a review. If more people would get involved with the lens database, it would be great.
QuoteQuote:
Indecent Exposure Having quite a bit of experience with third party lenses. My experience has come across quite a few that have not been documented yet in the lens review.
Yes, my experience is the same. Let's hope more people contribute, and that this thread gets contributes to that end.
04-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I try and document all the lenses I have, which is challenging. WHen I enter a review, some of what I try to do is document the lens. Specifically aperture stops, i.e. full stops, half stops etc. I also document the close focusing distance, and the focus throw.

WHile these are minor points, it is important to a potential buyer to know if a lens focuses to 1 meter or 2 especially for a medium telephoto like a 135mm.

I also note the number of aperture blades, and observe how rapidly they change from circular to hexagonal / octagonal or what ever, as this impacts OFF performance and bokeh.

Lastly I will list any issues with cameras, and exposure,

On one lens I had to also list not recommended for digital due to a horrible issue with reflection between the rear element and sensor. (the only one out of 30 lenses I own that I experience this issue)

really it is about giving an honest view of how th elens performs, ease of use, impression of build quality and any information that may require special atttention for the user.

Zooms with rotating front elements for example are trouble with polarizers. etc, Long lenses with lack of tripod mount, etc...

04-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I'm not sure of the degree to which Ole participates in the lens reviews, but I assure you he is not the only one "that sets up each lens spec sheet." I have set up some of the spec sheets. Anyone can do this--just initiate the process and make the post. Also, you can contribute to the database without even writing a review, or without posting specs. Sometimes, for example, I have uploaded a shot of a lens which was missing from a review. If more people would get involved with the lens database, it would be great.

Fair enough. I'll let the man speak for himself but the camera and lens reviews I've looked at, seem to be initiated by Ole. As a result, I thought the lens database was his baby. So if one wants to know how to set up a review In the database, He might be the one to contact.

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-25-2010 at 08:42 PM.