Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Yeah, well...some people like to eat liver and brussel sprouts too
And pan fried lamb's brain with a dash of lemon juice too...

Cheers!

Abbazz

04-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tried both and to me the FA 77 provides the most options (aperture/bokeh).
This lens just makes portraits dead easy. A clear winner in my book.
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #33

Please, Do Not Buy The FA 77 , You Later Will Inevitable Want The FA 31 & 43 .
Do Yourself a Favor And Save Your Money...
04-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #34

Yep, I meant 120 degrees and one turn = 360 degrees. I looked at 77mm specs. The min focus distance are the same for both lenses.

04-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #35
Veteran Member

So...you agree with me, but in some kind of convoluted way you try to sound like you don't.
If you preceded your statement with "chances are pretty good that...", I'd agree. But there do exist those who would not feel the way you described, and your statement was worded rather more absolutely.
04-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Thanks.

Wouldn't that correspond to about 90-120 degrees then? I'm assuming by a turn you mean a 360 degree rotation.

Good catch. You are absolutely right.
04-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
And yes, this has been discussed before, many, many, many. many times. If the forum search doesn't work because the search terms are too short, you can always use Google with the "siteentaxforums" parameter: "fa77 da70 siteentaxforums.com".
Isn't that true of about half the threads on this part of the forum?

A search of "17-70" ought to fill a page.

04-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Yes, and my advice wasn't meant to be only relevant here. Nothing wrong with starting new threads to generate new information - that's what forums are for, after all - but if one is looking for information, it would behoove him to see what information is already out there. Often, people don't bother responding to these threads because they've answered the same question a hundred times before, and it's often those people's opinions whom one would really benefit from seeing.

In my idea of an ideal world, when posting on a subejct likely to have been covered before, people would first do a search, read up a bit to familiarize themselves with the basic issues that have already been discussed, then if necessary start a new thread that specifically acknowledged that they had done the search, what they learned from it, and what questions they still have. I think people would get more useful information more quickly this way. When appearing to pick on people for this, it really is in the spirit of wanting to help them get the best information they can (and I usually try to provide some useful information aside from just suggesting a search). Although since it's admittedly a bit of a pet peeve, I realize I may not always come off as being as helpful as intended, so sorry for anyone I've ever bugged with this.
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ooops sorry if i offended anyone for starting this thread..
I started this thread due to the DA70 prices I notice are going down
so i ask if it is still worth it to get the FA77 w/ the price difference..

Again im sorry if i offended anyone
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes, and my advice wasn't meant to be only relevant here. Nothing wrong with starting new threads to generate new information - that's what forums are for, after all - but if one is looking for information, it would behoove him to see what information is already out there. Often, people don't bother responding to these threads because they've answered the same question a hundred times before, and it's often those people's opinions whom one would really benefit from seeing.

In my idea of an ideal world, when posting on a subejct likely to have been covered before, people would first do a search, read up a bit to familiarize themselves with the basic issues that have already been discussed, then if necessary start a new thread that specifically acknowledged that they had done the search, what they learned from it, and what questions they still have. I think people would get more useful information more quickly this way. When appearing to pick on people for this, it really is in the spirit of wanting to help them get the best information they can (and I usually try to provide some useful information aside from just suggesting a search). Although since it's admittedly a bit of a pet peeve, I realize I may not always come off as being as helpful as intended, so sorry for anyone I've ever bugged with this.
Actually, I'm with you on this.
04-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I was able to buy a DA70 plus a DA40 for the price of a FA77 alone. Probably a fair deal going by the amount of love being piled on the FA in this thread.
04-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I was able to buy a DA70 plus a DA40 for the price of a FA77 alone. Probably a fair deal going by the amount of love being piled on the FA in this thread.
The DA 40 is definitely not a FA 43mm ltd however. I know the 40 has its cult but the 43mm has Pixie Dust.
04-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Ooops sorry if i offended anyone for starting this thread..
I started this thread due to the DA70 prices I notice are going down
so i ask if it is still worth it to get the FA77 w/ the price difference..

Again im sorry if i offended anyone
is it worth it? hell yeah.
04-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
And pan fried lamb's brain with a dash of lemon juice too...

Cheers!

Abbazz
Nasty!

c[_]
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you buy the DA70 you will always think about what the FA77 is like - and whether you made the right choice. If you buy the FA77 you will never think about the DA70 again. Ever.
Truth spoken.

For me the extra speed matters. I use the FA77 at f/2.8 all the time. And at f/2 when I need to. Often manual focus, which is never as nice on the DA lenses.

As to the price, I got a used FA77 here on the forums and it was about the same as the DA70. It was a lot of money for me at the time, but my wife was supportive. And now... guess what? Those times when she picks up a camera she demands the FA77 to go with it. Because anyone, experienced in shooting or not, can see it's a great lens after one session. (I will say, though, that she has a great eye.)

Eventually we may need two of them in the house.