Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
without PP, you can tell that an image is taken from that lens just by looking at it?
for example random pictures are taken by using 3 lenses. A 3rd party lens, a DA zoom lens and the FA77.. can you tell which one is a 77?
I can do this sometimes with the FA series, and have on this forum. But in general, many great photos can be taken with many great lenses, and even those that are not so great or just plain average. Judging after the fact from the photo is maybe not the best way to think about things.

But how many keepers do you get from a lens? How versatile is it? How does it feel when you use it? Does it inspire you? I have some amazing shots with the DA 18-55mm, and there is a thread here on the forums with many more. But I never use the kit lens any more, haven't in years. And that's because there is always a better lens that will give me more keepers.

04-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I can do this sometimes with the FA series, and have on this forum. But in general, many great photos can be taken with many great lenses, and even those that are not so great or just plain average. Judging after the fact from the photo is maybe not the best way to think about things.

But how many keepers do you get from a lens? How versatile is it? How does it feel when you use it? Does it inspire you? I have some amazing shots with the DA 18-55mm, and there is a thread here on the forums with many more. But I never use the kit lens any more, haven't in years. And that's because there is always a better lens that will give me more keepers.
I believe this is a more accurate and factual statement. no matter how versatile the kitlens is compared to a fixed focal length prime, I can evidently see and find more keepers using a prime compared to the kit lens, whether the composition is the same or not or even post-processed to an extent. this is a statement that tells us that lenses aren't created equal.
04-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Ooops sorry if i offended anyone for starting this thread..
Nope. Again, I'm just trying to provide some useful advice.
04-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #64
Veteran Member

without PP, you can tell that an image is taken from that lens just by looking at it?
for example random pictures are taken by using 3 lenses. A 3rd party lens, a DA zoom lens and the FA77.. can you tell which one is a 77?
I've asked myself the same question. Look through this set I put together of my shots on Flickr, some with zooms, some primes.
prime vs zoom - a set on Flickr

BTW, I had the 77Ltd, and while it's a great lens, I found I was using the DA*50-135 much more, so I sold the 77Ltd.

Just last week, I bought the DA70 to complete my trio of DA Ltds (21, 40 and 70).

04-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
There was a point in time when I had the same idea. But I quickly realised that a good lens is a good lens is a good lens. Photoshop cannot replicate that magical bokeh, change your dof and give you tat extra speed in low light.
That's true. But I recommend you to try it sometime. To my experience, I prefer a zoom lens in the long distance focus range. In Shanghai, I have a lot of opportunities to take a shoot of models, almost everyweek, and you will find it hard to use 77mm in a situation where so many people surrounded.
So 50-135 with two flash would be perfect. If your budget is tight, get a Tamron 70-200/2.8。
All is worthier than FA 77.
04-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I've asked myself the same question. Look through this set I put together of my shots on Flickr, some with zooms, some primes.
prime vs zoom - a set on Flickr
What is your conclusion on primes vs zooms?
04-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I'll say that everyone sees what they want to see. How's that for a cop out?

Actually, I can see a difference between lenses. Not so much between zoom and prime, but between price categories. The more expensive lenses that should have nicer qualities generally do. However, you have to look very closely in many cases to see any differences.

It boils down to how you view your images. If you only view full screen (not 100%, but full screen) or print 11x14 or smaller, then you probably won't see the difference in just about all cases. If you crop a lot, or enlarge more, then the differences become more pronounced.
04-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Zoom lenses have their place, I admit. For dynamic - fast changing action primes can really limit the number of successful images you can produce. Zooms are a way around that limitation..but they have a few limitations of their own. notably speed, maximum sharpness, and various aberrations..Horses for courses Is the expression that fits that zoom Vs Prime debate - use whatever gets the job done, and most of all; what makes you happy to pick up your camera and take pictures.

04-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I think, totally based on images I look at, that the DA*50-135 renders very nicely. If you do not mind carrying a heavier lens that attracts more attention to yourself and is a stop or so slower than a prime, they are fine. As an advantage you get the flexibility of a zoom and weather-sealing. But on the downside might have to deal with SDM issues.
04-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
<snip> - use whatever gets the job done, and most of all; what makes you happy to pick up your camera and take pictures.
I totally agree with that. I have to occasionally remind myself to just pick up the camera and go out there, and quit obsessing about this lens or that lens. Heck, all my lenses are better than I am.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think, totally based on images I look at, that the DA*50-135 renders very nicely. If you do not mind carrying a heavier lens that attracts more attention to yourself and is a stop or so slower than a prime, they are fine. As an advantage you get the flexibility of a zoom and weather-sealing. But on the downside might have to deal with SDM issues.
Agree on all counts.
05-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #71

I prefer primes since they suit me well - most of the times I just use one lens (DA 40mm since my trips are typically purposeful. Zooms have matured well over the past two decades and some of the new zooms out are pretty amazing; I notice this trend of progress across different manufacturers/brands.

My fav lens of the bunch is the 70mm, very capable lens to say the least. I'd suggest to go w/ the 70mm unless you've a specific purpose going w/ the 77mm. I don't wonder about the 77mm or the 43mm, only the 31mm lol

At the end of the day don't get caught up w/ all these trivial differences, enjoy taking photos and spending time outdoor
05-13-2010, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

It's funny in some of the prime vs. zoom comparisons people focus so much on the technical aspects of the photos. Of course with that being said, I demand technical excellence from my lenses, but that's not what creates an emotional response from me when I view art. It's the way a picture is rendered that makes me say "Wow..."

In my experience the FA limiteds create something the DA limiteds can't. I sold the 40 because it didn't compare to my 43. It took beautiful pictures, but it was a different lens. It was also too small to gain benefit from the Quick-Shift feature with my K10D as my fat fingers couldn't fit between the pop up flash housing and the lens.

My next lens will be the 77. I didn't even consider the 70 because of the difference between my 43 and 40. And again, I can't say enough the 70 creates great images, but the out-of-focus area renders so differently from the FA limiteds. That's the magic.