Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the extra $ on the FA77mm worth it over the DA70mm?

Is the extra $ on the FA77/1.8 worth it over the DA70/2.4?
I read the reviews on the 77 and the 70 on photozone
The 77 has 1 Fstop advantage
The 70 has better CA/PF control and sharper and lightweight

What other factors make the 77 superior to the 70?
Hows the PF bokeh of the 77

04-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Probably not. Although, I don't own either but what I've heard so far is that DA 70 is sharper wide open. I personally prefer sharper pictures and if I have to anyway stop down to get sharp pictures in case of 77mm, I lose that 1 stop advantage (3/4 stop actually).

However, as I said, I don't own either so someone who owned both can give more valued feedback.
04-24-2010, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Voe
Veteran Member

This or similar question have been asked multiple times, but I will give my answer.
the 77mm due to the longer focal lenght and faster aperture allows for shallower depth of field and thus better background isolation. Bokeh is subjective, but I like the 77mm bokeh.
The 77mm Limited gives you that "something" which you can rarely see in other lenses. Some call it magical, other call it 3D.

I had both lenses and sold the DA 70mm. PF/CA is not a big issue, especially with K7 automatic CA removal. I would say go straight for the 77mm as I highly recommend it. You will "cry" only once when you buy it, but will smile every time you take a photo with it.
I think that every Pentaxian should have one.

Last edited by Voe; 04-25-2010 at 12:05 AM.
04-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
This or similar question have been asked multiple times, but I will give my answer.
the 77mm due to the longer focal lenght and faster aperture allows for shallower depth of field and thus better background isolation. Bokeh is subjective, but I like the 77mm bokeh.
The 77mm Limited gives you that "something" which you can see in other lenses. Some call it magical, other call it 3D.

I had both lenses and sold the DA 70mm. PF/CA is not a big issue, especially with K7 automatic CA removal. I would say go straight for the 77mm as I highly recommend it.
How would you compare sharpness of both wide open?

04-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Nubi

Not from the optical stand point, but considering where the size of the sensors are heading in the future, I think FA is worth a whole lot more now DA, even if they are limiteds. Don't get me wrong. DA 70 is truly awesome. But I just wouldn't buy any lens that are APS-C exclusive.
04-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Voe
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
How would you compare sharpness of both wide open?

Wide open they are very close (but due to shorter depth of field of the 77mm it might not look so). At f/2.4my 77mm was visibly sharper than f/2.4 of the 70mm. Stopped down to f/4 the 77mm was much better than the 70mm.
The 70mm had nothing on the 77mm Limited except for the smaller size and faster autofocus due to the shorter lens focus turn.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Not from the optical stand point, but considering where the size of the sensors are heading in the future, I think FA is worth a whole lot more now DA, even if they are limiteds. Don't get me wrong. DA 70 is truly awesome. But I just wouldn't buy any lens that are APS-C exclusive.
DA 70mm is compatible with FF. There is no aperture pin but it will work just fine on FF DSLR (if Pentax makes one). I've used DA 70mm on film camera (Pentax MZ-7) and it work perfectly.
04-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Nubi

Wide open they are very close (but due to shorter depth of field of the 77mm it might not look so). At f/2.4my 77mm was visibly sharper than f/2.4 of the 70mm. Stopped down to f/4 the 77mm was much better than the 70mm.
The 70mm had nothing on the 77mm Limited except for the smaller size and faster autofocus due to the shorter lens focus turn.

DA 70mm is compatible with FF. There is no aperture pin but it will work just fine on FF DSLR (if Pentax makes one). I've used DA 70mm on film camera (Pentax MZ-7) and it work perfectly.

Yeah, you can certainly use it, and I think it would cover over 98% of the sensor, but at wide open pics don't look all that good. I think you need to get to about f/5 or so. No?? I think falconeye rated it just "+."

04-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In short : YES!

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-29-2011 at 05:09 AM.
04-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In my case I would have to say no as I did buy the DA 70/2.4. The FA 77mm/1.8 has the extra stop and "pixy dust" aura about according to its users. I just could not justify the extra expense to either my wife or myself. By all accounts you can’t go wrong with either lens.

Tom G
04-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
Inactive Account

If you buy the DA70 you will always think about what the FA77 is like - and whether you made the right choice. If you buy the FA77 you will never think about the DA70 again. Ever.

c[_]
04-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My family and friends love it whenever I take pictures of them using the formidable 77

The joy they experienced makes the 77 most worthy :ugh:

I agree with ll_Coffee-lP

QuoteQuote:
If you buy the FA77 you will never think about the DA70 again. Ever.
04-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
If you buy the DA70 you will always think about what the FA77 is like - and whether you made the right choice. If you buy the FA77 you will never think about the DA70 again. Ever.

c[_]
Good point I agree... But you will only think of the extra $ that may finance another lens
04-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I had both lenses and sold the DA 70mm. PF/CA is not a big issue, especially with K7 automatic CA removal.
I feel it is important to straighten things out. The FA 77 Limited has very little lateral chromatic aberration, which is the kind of chromatic aberration that can be automatically "cured" by software or by the firmware of some of the newer cameras. Unfortunately, the FA 77 Ltd has tons of longitudinal chromatic aberration and purple fringing, which can not be removed automatically and which is really difficult to remove manually.

I know I will get bashed by the followers of the FA 77 cult, but to me the FA 77 is a specialized lens which shines only for portrait work on film cameras or on digital cameras in controlled environment, while the DA 70 is a welcomed upgrade especially designed for digital cameras as well as a more versatile lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz
04-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #14
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I feel it is important to straighten things out. The FA 77 Limited has very little lateral chromatic aberration, which is the kind of chromatic aberration that can be automatically "cured" by software or by the firmware of some of the newer cameras. Unfortunately, the FA 77 Ltd has tons of longitudinal chromatic aberration and purple fringing, which can not be removed automatically and which is really difficult to remove manually.

I know I will get bashed by the followers of the FA 77 cult, but to me the FA 77 is a specialized lens which shines only for portrait work on film cameras or on digital cameras in controlled environment, while the DA 70 is a welcomed upgrade especially designed for digital cameras as well as a more versatile lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Actually, there are some of us who do not worship 77 ltd. I for one used to have it and sold it, and the reason was . . . . . . well, I thought it was a bit flat. The thing about it was that I didn't think it was the lens. In fact, I thought it had everything to do with me, being one of worst photographers around. It seems to me that it is very hard to hit a sweet spot with 77, even after using it for a while. I just didn't get it. So I sold it, and got DA 70. Again, it was difficult for me at first (still is, actually), but for whatever reasons I have a better feel for 70. I just seem to know when NOT to use it.

It is strange that I have a completely opposite opinion of 31. I worship that one.

It could be the focal length thing. 77 with APS-C is not what I am used to with 135mm format. Slightly over a 100mm on APS-C . . . . . a bit weird of a focal length.

If I were to buy similar focal length lens, I want Zeiss 85. No, it's not worth the extra cash, but it is Zeiss. After getting my 50/1.4 ZK, I am hooked.
04-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How bad is the PF of the 77?
can you post some?