Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fa1.7 Tc Test Shots

I just received the FA1.7x TC from Wim (ishpuini) yesterday and had a few minutes to do some relatively mickey mouse tests this afternoon.

Used with my FA*300, these two shots are both at same f8@1/750; ISO200.

These shots were again f8, but at 1/125th:

Here are 100% crops taken from the last two shots:

Completely non-scientific, I know, even to the point of being hand-held...

These last two shots were taken at approx. 120 yards. No processing done except for re-sizing first 4 to 800x540.

The one drawback so far is that this combo will only auto-focus if I manually focus to as close to perfect as I can, then switch to auto (push/pull arrangement on the FA*300).

So, to sum up- the image quality appears to be better than what I expected, but slow AF means I can't use it (on AF anyways) for any fast action.

James- any input?

07-25-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Tom. AF 1.7X tele is really a good quality tele in which it has been doing its job very well on my A*300 f2.8. Yeah, it can only do close focus. However, it is still handy when dark situation is encountered = Manual focus fast to a near focus and then rely on the AF tele. It worked well for me in the recent Australian summer when I went to the national park.

I paid AF 1.7X early this year for 380 US dollars. I did try this on Fa 300 f4.5 and it works fine too but aperture has to go to f8 and above. Usable wide open and produces better image quality than other third party tele. (AF tele used to be costing about US100 dollars and the price second hand used to be about US 50 on ebay)

Your shots went to show how little colour compromise there is with use of AF 1.7 tele. Though the first shot of the 2nd lot might have been back focus a bit, the colour is pretty much preserved with the tele converter. (They look pretty nice too

Last time I used the combination of A*300 f2.8 with 1.7X was around April this year ( a bit shame that I had been focused on career advancement lately)

The shot was shot wide open with the tele; a tad sharpening applied to the Jpeg converted from Raw. No colour enhancement at all. f5.6 (2.8 with tele 1.7X) and 500mm (300mm with tele 1.7X)

The main problem I have with tamron or kenko 1.4x tele is that a lot of colour are lost with these combinations and it is particularly hard to bring these colour back in photoshop. Bleached photos are common place.

Just my 2 cents
07-25-2007, 01:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great that you like the TC Tom! I'm happy it arrived well.

Using the 1.7x on a f/4.5 lens is a bit tight for AF unless in bright light. Given that Pentax advises at least f/5.6 for proper AF, and with the 1.7x you're close to f/8, it's normal that AF wouldn't be fast.

To be honest I never really tried it much on my FA*300/4.5. I did once, but in a lower light situation where it didn't work for AF. Same with my K300/4, but in bright light that combo did work. I liked it much on my K135/2.5 though, but that's a f/2.5 of course...

Glad it found a good home!!

Wim