Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Is this lens a Pentax lens?

I got this lens with a batch of stuff at an antiques market. There were some Pentax lenses in there and some not, so I really don't know. It doesn't fit on my Pentax KM camera. The box says "ACCESS Advanced Digital Technology 28-70 3.5-4.5 Manual Focus" and then on the side under that, "Filter Size 52mm Pentax K/Ricoh K". HOWEVER, the lens doesn't fit the styrofoam in the box. So I'm very confused as to what it is.

The lens reads "ACCESS * TEMPO" 1:3:5~4:5 f = 28~70mm" and then underneath says Macro. It has apertures 3.5, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 and automatic. There is a sticker on it that says "PASSED JCII c/d JMDC".

Any ideas? I'm quite befuddled myself why the Pentax KM would come with so many lenses that don't work with it. I'd like to use these lenses but I don't know if they need a special mount or what. Help!

Thanks

04-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The inspection decal tells us that it was made in Japan and inspected by the independent agency on or before 1989. As far as the mount goes, can you post a picture of the mount with as much detail as possible? The only thing we can say about a second had box is that it is a box. Thanks.
04-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
whoops! i forgot that, here are a few photos.

is the lens mount the part that attaches to the camera? please forgive the dumb questions... i'm a pretty big amateur
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #4

Original Poster

04-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, it certainly appears to be a K-mount (A K-A mount to be precisce) lens. I'd hate to ask this, but are you mounting the lens on the body by lining up the red dot on the lens with the red dot on the K-mount on the body?
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someday I am going to track down and strangle the idiot at Pentax who decided to recycle old film camera names for the digital age. I had to read this a couple of times before it dawned on me he has a new K-m and didn't instead buy some old lenses together with an old KM.
04-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
Well, it certainly appears to be a K-mount (A K-A mount to be precisce) lens. I'd hate to ask this, but are you mounting the lens on the body by lining up the red dot on the lens with the red dot on the K-mount on the body?
oh! good god. i know i'm a newbie to this but seriously. yes, and that worked. haha. i suppose that answers my question about it being a pentax lens.

sorry to waste everyone's time.

*slaps forehead*

i think i may have got confused as my canon SLR has the red dot on the top and i may have just not paid attention. i just got this stuff a little bit ago.

04-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you need to watch out for the little gold pin at about the 9:00 position when viewing th erear of the lens. this is for Ricoh and can get stuck on the AF screw drive, causing the lens to be impossible to take off.

it is best if you remove that pin before using the lens.
04-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As said, the "Ricoh pin" may get stuck in the AF screw.
Use this guide, it may be a little different for your lens, and may also seem a bit "scary", though it helps to take pictures to remember how you disassembled it.

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

Judging from the fonts on the lens, I would guess this is a rebadged Sigma (try Sigma 28-70 3.5-4.5 zoom-epsilon for some very limited search results). The Sigma is regarded as quite good, if I've understood correctly.
04-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

In the event you get the lens stuck on your camera before you come back to the thread, you can use a automotive type feeler gauge (the thinnest one you can find) to slide in between the camera and lens mount to get that pine to turn loos. It is sort of like a ball bearing. (Don't ask me how I figured this out.)

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Someday I am going to track down and strangle the idiot at Pentax who decided to recycle old film camera names for the digital age. I had to read this a couple of times before it dawned on me he has a new K-m and didn't instead buy some old lenses together with an old KM.
Yeah, the all important hyphen or I would have warned him about the Ricoh pin.
04-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you use my article quoted above as a guide, you will see it is dead easy to remove the pin. And then you can use the lens without any fear of it getting stuck. I do this with any potential problem lens since it's better than the alternative!