Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dust or Dirt or... on my DA 55-300mm?

Just noticed this today... not sure what to do. I tried to wipe
it off with compressed air (for computers) and gently rubbed
it with the cloth for cleaning my eyeglasses, but it's still there.
I might try a 'LENSPEN' but I don't want to make it worse.
Kind of bummed because I was thinking about selling this
lens but now it might not be worth that much.

The interesting thing is it is only visible at a certain angle and
not in sunlight, so I'm thinking maybe it's not a scratch?

This was taken inside under a flourescent light with a noisy Nikon.

The image below was taken outside in the shade
because it doesn't show up in direct sun.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

04-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm, it doesn't really look like dust to me. I am guessing that it is some sort of liquid that splashed onto the lens and it left that mark. You mentioned that it only shows up at the perfect angle which leads me to believe that it has to be a dried liquid, but don't take my word on it. Hopefully, someone will chime in who really knows what that mark is.
Cory
04-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #3

Fog the area of the lens with your breath and use your microfiber cloth on it. This is one reason I use Hoya HMC UV filters on my lenses.
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I don't think that's anything that a filter would prevent. It looks like a coating defect to me. You can see a surface scratch that size on a lens without the aid of a varying angle of view.

04-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I don't think that's anything that a filter would prevent. It looks like a coating defect to me. You can see a surface scratch that size on a lens without the aid of a varying angle of view.
Well if you are correct, I'm hoping / thinking Pentax will / should cover that under warranty. I bought the lens in January and have used maybe three times so far.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
04-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What effect does alcohol have on modern lens coatings? I'd be inclined to try giving it a wipe with a small amount.
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Well if you are correct, I'm hoping / thinking Pentax will / should cover that under warranty. I bought the lens in January and have used maybe three times so far.
I think it's a coating issue and probably is a warranty thing, but that blemish should have no effect on the image.

04-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think it's a coating issue and probably is a warranty thing, but that blemish should have no effect on the image.
Those are my thoughts too ....... I did pick up a 'Lenspen' so I'll give that a go and see what happens ...... but I have my doubts that it will address this issue.
04-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hate to pierce all the doom-and-gloom pessimism in this thread with a sunshine ray of optimism, but to me that looks like it could just as easily be a deposit carried by water and left behind when it evaporated. Minerals, sugar, salts...the kind of stuff that can be dissolved in rain, soda, snot, sweat, spit...you name it.

The point is, there's no harm in doing something as simple as taking a dampened lens cloth and seeing if it wipes away. It looks just like countless lens smudges I've seen that didn't just wipe away with a dry cloth. For once, I'd love to see people on this board not assume the worst as a matter of course.
04-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's why I suggested wiping with alcohol, provided that won't affect the lens coating.
04-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
Hate to pierce all the doom-and-gloom pessimism in this thread with a sunshine ray of optimism...

The point is, there's no harm in doing something as simple as taking a dampened lens cloth and seeing if it wipes away. It looks just like countless lens smudges I've seen that didn't just wipe away with a dry cloth. For once, I'd love to see people on this board not assume the worst as a matter of course.
Nothing wrong with optimism... but as Jodokast96 implies, what is an appropriate moisturizer? Water? Eyeglass lens cleaner? Beer? Paint thinner?

Optimism is good, but it can also lead to imprudence and do more damage than good. Believe me, I'm not interested in learning the hard way, but I have an idea...

A few minutes later

Just checked the manual... Never use any organic solvent such as thinner, alcohol, or benzine... I'm going to try the eyeglass cleaner...

A few more minutes later

and just like magic - it's gone!

Thank you everyone for your input. I've learned something thanks to you!
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Glad you got it sorted out. Told you it was nuthin'

(And for the record, I would have started with distilled water and moved up from there)
04-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dang! I was going to offer to take that lens off your hands and not even charge you a disposal fee.

Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your new lens!