Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

DA 40mm f2.8

Hi,

I am new to photography, I am a k-x user with a kit lens, I am planning to buy this limited lens due to its high score on reviews here and also the size. (Not to mention that this is a limited copy) My gripe is that local stores heres sell this item for around 600-650USD. I also checked the net and other on-line stores qoute me around 500USD. Can you guys (owner of this lens) give me tons of sample shots made out from this lens so I can tempt myself and really get one of these even if our local price is too high, used item is welcome.

Thanks

04-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Kumusta?

Here in Hong Kong it's about HK$3,200 / US$400. Why not get a cheap flight with Cebu Pacific and make a weekend of it for the same price as getting in in Manila?

I think the 40 pancake and the K-x would make an excellent "compact" combination. Not much bigger than an Oly E-PL1 with kit zoom, and far superior IQ.

FWIW, I have decided to go with the DA 35 Macro as my walkaround lens, as I feel the 40 is a bit long for me, I have the 50/1.4 already, and I like the idea of always having macro capability with me.
04-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what online shops you've checked, but the reputatable ones in the US (eg, B&H, Adorama) sell this lens for $350 USD or less. Not sure how that works out after paying whatever fees might be associated with overseas ordering, but don't deal with any comapny that wants to charge $500 as the base price!

Anyhow, if you want samples, check out the "DA Limited Club" thread for many, many samples from this (and the other Limiteds too, of course).
04-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
DA 40mm f2.8

@ UnsinkableII

Kumusta? Now why didn't I think of that, I am only hours away from HK, Got relatives there too. Can you give me some store shops and their area where I can find them? As For the DA 35 Macro, I really want that lens too due to its wider range and good reviews, the reason why I shy away from the lens is because it's market price here is around 700USD Looks like blatant thievery for me. (How much is this lens there?) Thank you.

@ Marc Sabatella

I checked amazon,e-bay etc. I even asked my colleague who's now in Japan right now to look for one but she told me it's around 500USD at shops. I'll check the limited thread from now on. Thanks

04-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Wed7,

You can search for "pentax" on www.cheaphk.com and ????? Price.com.hk to get an idea.

Also, here is a small list of shops:

Short List of Camera Shops

Also check out: Sells cameras, lenses and related photographic accessories - Tin Cheung Camera Company

For the DA 35 I have been quoted HK$4,300 (approx US$550) with a 3-day delivery from order (9/F Times Square, western end by the escalator).

You will need to check that there is stock with any of the retailers above as stock levels a patchy at best.

Regarding Marc's response, the price at B&H for the DA 40 is US$339, or US$400 INCLUDING 3-5 day UPS shipment charges to the Philippines. No idea whether Arroyo will apply extra taxes to that though!
04-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Wed7,

You can search for "pentax" on www.cheaphk.com and ????? Price.com.hk to get an idea.

Also, here is a small list of shops:

Short List of Camera Shops

Also check out: Sells cameras, lenses and related photographic accessories - Tin Cheung Camera Company

For the DA 35 I have been quoted HK$4,300 (approx US$550) with a 3-day delivery from order (9/F Times Square, western end by the escalator).

You will need to check that there is stock with any of the retailers above as stock levels a patchy at best.

Regarding Marc's response, the price at B&H for the DA 40 is US$339, or US$400 INCLUDING 3-5 day UPS shipment charges to the Philippines. No idea whether Arroyo will apply extra taxes to that though!
05-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
da primes

Thank you guys for the big help. I am looking forward to have my first limited.
05-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You're welcome.

Let us know how you get on.